Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 07:35   #1

Pacific Northwest is Sidney best for work and play ?

So plans are moving along and we have been told that the best place in the PNW for getting work done , working on your own boat and marine suppliers etc is Sidney. In terms of quality and price is this true? What about WA? But while this may be fine from Mr CC's point of view as he can spend his days cussing and asking me to pass him tools! I dont want to spend 3 months with no social activity! So the question is if you had to get stuck somewhere in BC or WA on the boat for 3 months in winter where would you go in terms of good live-aboard community and social activities? Thanks. Mrs CC
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:49   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Pacific Northwest is Sidney best for work and play ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCouple View Post
So plans are moving along and we have been told that the best place in the PNW for getting work done , working on your own boat and marine suppliers etc is Sidney. In terms of quality and price is this true? What about WA? But while this may be fine from Mr CC's point of view as he can spend his days cussing and asking me to pass him tools! I dont want to spend 3 months with no social activity! So the question is if you had to get stuck somewhere in BC or WA on the boat for 3 months in winter where would you go in terms of good live-aboard community and social activities? Thanks. Mrs CC
Sidney is kind of crappy for things to do, it's basically a retirement town so everything closes early. Lots of suppliers and marinas there, but fun it is not. If you are US though your dollar will go far! Westport has 1/2 price per day for yard space during the winter. Victoria is 40 mins down the road or an hour bus, and has great food and entertainment (and hiking), but it's a bit of a slog to get there from Sidney. There are liveaboard marinas in Victoria (I live in one) but no places to haul out and get work done on a bigger boat.

I hear Port Townsend, WA is great for work, lots going on and a ton of suppliers and places to work on boat. I'm sure someone who lives there can chime in.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03   #3

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'

You might also have a look at Nanaimo. There are several shipyards there that allow the owner to work on their boat, and they are very close to town centre. But, as the town is spread out, having a car there is best.
seamountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:39   #4

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Sidney has a lot more going on than Port Townsend, although both are really nice places. Both are smaller towns, very pedestrian friendly, with lots of good restaurants for a small centre.

Nanaimo's waterfront is getting better, but may actually have less pedestrian options than Sidney. It has lots of good shopping close by though by car.

Victoria is best for eating out, but the marinas are pricey.

For quiet and cost effective also look at Ladysmith (my home town), Maple Bay, and Cowichan Bay. All are reasonably priced, have pubs and restaurants nearby, but nowhere near the variety of Sidney or Victoria. I would avoid Nanoose Bay as there is zero to walk to, and its at least 20 minutes by car to get anywhere.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:51   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We're in Blaine, directly south of the border. No social life to speak of, we have to make our own fun in our 2 years liveaboard there. Sent from Loreto, Baja, Mexico, which I guess explains it all...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26   #6

Boat: Nicholson 38

We've hauled out in Port Townsend many times, probably spent a total of two months on the hard there at Sea Marine, whose big advantage is they support the DIYer well - but be sure to get written quotes for any work you have them do. Also, their bottom paint deal is a good one, because you can combine the haul-out with bottom work you do yourself.

Lots of knowledgeable shipwrights, a good chandlery, even a foundry for custom parts (PT Foundry).

PT is a great place, though gets quiet later with only a few restaurants and bars open, but the people there are great - a real sailors port. Winter is quiet b/c fewer tourists. You can walk everywhere, or take the cheap bus.

Also, have spent a few weeks in Bellingham, which is cheaper than PT if you stay in the water. Two chandleries in walking distance. More of a commercial place so lots of supporting industry geared more towards the fishing fleet. More spread out so you may need a bike.

If you want engine work done, go to Bellingham.

Both places have good breweries!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We're in Blaine, directly south of the border. No social life to speak of, we have to make our own fun in our 2 years liveaboard there. Sent from Loreto, Baja, Mexico, which I guess explains it all...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hmmm yes the rain is going to be a challenge.
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:34   #8
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

CatCpl. You don't say if you will have access to a car. If so I would recommend Canoe Cove. I have hauled there a few time for basic work and for replacement of my engines. Excellent trades there and the yard allows you to work on your own. it just out of Sidney proper but an easy drive to Sid or Vic.
If your name implies you are on a cat then check the beam/lift maximums They can be a bit tricky around here.

Derick
Old 06-12-2016, 13:52   #9
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I would recommend Canoe Cove.
If you are doing your own work, Canoe Cove might be ok but I was very dissatisfied on how work on my boat was handled by Blackline Marine!
Besides a number of issues with the actual work done, they did not mention anything about a big rock that is right in the line of approach to their lift even though I specifically asked for anything I should look out for when coming in ... the rock is apparently great for their business!

Vector Yachts, in the same area, treated me well (mono's only I think)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post

For quiet and cost effective also look at Ladysmith (my home town), Maple Bay, and Cowichan Bay. All are reasonably priced, have pubs and restaurants nearby, but nowhere near the variety of Sidney or Victoria. I would avoid Nanoose Bay as there is zero to walk to, and its at least 20 minutes by car to get anywhere.
Ladysmith is nice and has a Home Hardware store right at the marina. I don't know about any marine services there, though. The poster who lives there could fill in more details.

I just moved from San Francisco to Maple Bay Marina. Forget about it for what you described. There is one small but good chandlery, a restaurant and coffee shop. That's it. Without a car to get to Duncan, 20 minutes away, there's nothing.

Cowichan Bay has a better and larger chandlery that just moved into larger quarters, lots of restaurants but that's it.

The Sidney Marina is right downtown, but no services. Great, but pricey marina. The other harbors in Sidney are quite a trek from the town - look at a chart!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 19:45   #11

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ladysmith is nice and has a Home Hardware store right at the marina. I don't know about any marine services there, though. The poster who lives there could fill in more details.

I
There is a marine aisle in the Home Hardware. Decent for somethings but not a dedicated marine store. The marine store in south Nanaimo is excellent, and the marine store in Coombs, (40 minute drive, but a great place for lunch as well) has to be my favourite overall.

As far as service goes, there is a haulout yard between to two marinas in town. There are numerous ABYC independent techs floating about as well. Going onto usednanaimo.com, usedvictoria.com, or usedcowichan.com works a lot better on the island than craigslist for some reason. I found a decent electrical tech this way.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 21:26   #12

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

If you are looking for a yard in WA, I can recommend CSR marine, just inside the locks going into Seattle. They have given me excellent service, but will not be as inexpensive as Canada (exchange rate). They will let you work on the boat yourself if you want but will obviously charge you for the space and haulout. It may be more expensive, but the upside is the Ballard area of Seattle is within easy walking distance of CSR and downtown Seattle is just a bus (or Uber, or car) ride away. Ballard has great food/bars and Seattle has all the amenities of a large metropolitan city.

You don't say if you would be staying on the boat or not; but you would not be able to at CSR. I do not know about the other yards people have responded about; but rents in the Seattle area are not inexpensive.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 22:14   #13

Boat: Corbin 39

I throw my 2 cents in and throw out Campbell River area. Weather wise Sydney is better, we are a couple of degrees cooler. If your looking to do work though and you want your dollar to go far then it cant be beat. There are 3 haulout yards , all with their own benefits and drawback , depending on what's important to you.
The marinas downtown can run you as low as 3$ per foot for month by month rent. Everything is close by as far as shopping, entertainment and marine supplies. Campbell River is still a boating town so the level of service is far above what any other most mid size city can offer. There are at east 4 chandlery's and many specializing marine business s close by. Anything not stocked can usually be brought in same day or 24 hrs.
Really you cant make a bad choice in this part of the world, if it doesn't work out its not far to the next great place.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:03   #14

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I have enjoyed Anacortes. Lots of good shipwrights and yards, recreation opportunities and daily deliveries from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Specific recommendations depend on what type of work you need.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:16   #15

There are several yards right in the metropolitan Vancouver area that permit DIY and will even help with advice and labour (labour for a charge obviously).

Bus service from the one I use to downtown Vancouver is excellent, and from the ones up the Fraser River is acceptable.

As for nightlife/entertainment/cultural events you'll find Vancouver hard to beat. She is consistently voted one of the top ten places in the world in which to live. Prices are no more extravagant here than in other NA metropolises with the exception of property prices/rents. Access top chandlers/marine services/stores is superb. Live-aboard marinas are virtually non-existent.

I would think, though I do not know for certain, that a catamaran would not be welcome except for one marina up the river, and perhaps in various places along the river where "unorganized" moorage might be available by private arrangement.

As someone else mentioned, that actual hauling out might be a problems since the TraveLifts I see are not configured for catamarans. The only way to find out is by contacting the marinas directly. The all-knowing Ms. Google would be your friend.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific northwest