Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 17:50   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Help getting started in the Pacific Northwest - Open CPN

When I last owned a boat the new thing was Loran. So now as I look forward to purchase of a 35 foot cutter in about a week, I want to add some electronic navigation capability. I only ever navigated in the past with paper charts, hand bearing compass and binoculars. I am familiar with Open Source software, and use Linux some, Firefox and Thunderbird all the time. So I would like to get set up with electronic charts on my Samsung Ultra-book, and/or my wife's Ipad mini, with a backbone, and gradually add stuff . But this is all very vague theoretical stuff for me, and I could really use some hands on help and someone to explain things, showing me how to do and what to buy or otherwise acquire.
I wonder if there is someone here in the Pacific Northwest who would be willing to show me his/her system, how it works, what I need to get. I am north of Bellingham, will be mooring in Blaine Harbor, but I am happy to travel, even to Seattle (where I am buying the boat.)

I am a pretty handy mechanic, and would be happy to help out with your projects in exchange for your time and tutorial.

Glenn
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open cpn, pacific northwest