Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 08:47   #1

Portugal Sailors (Iberian Peninsula)

Hi I am new here and was wondering how many Portugal based sailors are on here?

I am starting to look for a small boat. Something that I could trailer I am in the center of Portugal. Online I do not see very much available. This winter my plan was to visit areas and marinas to look for some options.

This is a search for something small 15-23ft. i am hoping for a small cabin. At first I was looking for only 22-26ft but now I am thinking something smaller may be great to get me going again and easy on the wallet to start.
I see on apollo duck uk a westerly nimrod that really seems to be perfect for what I am looking for right now. I could even tow with my car instead of my truck! but...

https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/w...-nimrod/584092

Problem is to get it here I would be spending about 3,000 euros in total. I would get what I see in my head but think if I made my price range in that Ball park it would give me a starting pricepoint to look here in Portugal.

I do see motorboats that fit the price but not any luck with small sailboats that can trailer. I am not looking for a perfect boat that needs no work, would be nice, I am hoping for a fixer upper that is in decent condition.

I guess my question is does anyone see any boats with for sale signs on them at their marina or within their boating sphere?
Driving to the algarve is not a problem neither is up north. I would even consider Spain and France if I knew it was worth the trip to see some good choices.

Thanks in advance any advice or comments is much appreciated!
Larry Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 08:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Portugal Sailors (Iberian Peninsula)

here you go! ideal for tidal waters where it can be beached easily.
https://www.wharram.com/site/news/2014/mana24
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 09:45   #3

I have considered this idea of building a boat. my question is if /when you build a boat that is small what happens with registering and the rest? is it like a car that you need to do a ton of things to be road legal? or and now this is my novice here speaking what boats are exempt from all that? is it the motor that causes the rules or...
I will read about the mana 24 maybe get some inspiration. I have a place to build something and tools a plenty
Old 15-11-2019, 10:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Miranda View Post
I have considered this idea of building a boat. my question is if /when you build a boat that is small what happens with registering and the rest? is it like a car that you need to do a ton of things to be road legal? or and now this is my novice here speaking what boats are exempt from all that? is it the motor that causes the rules or...
I will read about the mana 24 maybe get some inspiration. I have a place to build something and tools a plenty
it would depend on what country you registered the boat in or on local regulations if registered in portugal.

the eu has some regulations on buoyancy,stability,length and engine size that relate to which catagory it falls into .
professionally built boats are required to be CE marked if for sale to the public etc.

might be worth checking out a local sailing club in your area members are generally friendly and keen sailors ,those that i have met in portugal.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 13:19   #5

I like the idea of building something but after a few years constant work on a property here in Portugal I will probably not go that route this time around. I like the link you sent reminded me of some boats plans I researched years ago before I did this project in Portugal.

I think a small boat that just needs some work will be the way I go now. really looking for something simple that I can enjoy now.

The nimrod caught my eye, small simple gets into shallow water easy manage. I like the westerlys they have many boats on the market at a good price. so after a few years I could see my self looking at those like a centaur. I see them for @5-7,000 regularly. That would be something I move up to after I have a year or 2 regular sailing done on a small one.

I am not set on a model or make just on simple sailor with a cabin.
Just starting my research but if I see something good I am ready to go for it. I have seen some trailers(no boat) around not bad prices some further than other but again I do not mind traveling if I need to.
Old 15-11-2019, 16:51   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Both boatman61 & stingo are Portugal based CF members.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 02:23   #7

you dont have to build your own warram , why not buy one ??
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:47   #8

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

The nimrod is a fine little pocket sailer. The one you’ve seen is in N Ireland and, as you say, will cost a lot to trail to Portugal. If you’re looking for shoal draught boats, keep looking in the UK because 10-1 they’re much cheaper there than in mainland Europe. Why not go for something a little bigger - say, up to 26’ - there are plenty for under 2000€ - and sail it to Portugal? A series of coastal hops is easily do-able.
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 15:18   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Miranda View Post
Hi I am new here and was wondering how many Portugal based sailors are on here?

I am starting to look for a small boat. Something that I could trailer I am in the center of Portugal. Online I do not see very much available. This winter my plan was to visit areas and marinas to look for some options.

This is a search for something small 15-23ft. i am hoping for a small cabin. At first I was looking for only 22-26ft but now I am thinking something smaller may be great to get me going again and easy on the wallet to start.
I see on apollo duck uk a westerly nimrod that really seems to be perfect for what I am looking for right now. I could even tow with my car instead of my truck! but...

https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/w...-nimrod/584092

Problem is to get it here I would be spending about 3,000 euros in total. I would get what I see in my head but think if I made my price range in that Ball park it would give me a starting pricepoint to look here in Portugal.

I do see motorboats that fit the price but not any luck with small sailboats that can trailer. I am not looking for a perfect boat that needs no work, would be nice, I am hoping for a fixer upper that is in decent condition.

I guess my question is does anyone see any boats with for sale signs on them at their marina or within their boating sphere?
Driving to the algarve is not a problem neither is up north. I would even consider Spain and France if I knew it was worth the trip to see some good choices.

Thanks in advance any advice or comments is much appreciated!
Maybe you should consider a small trimaran. There are several available with fold up outrigger hulls for trailer transport. You wouldn't need to be too concerned with draft limitations for coastal cruising and most of these feature a small cabin, usually with a small head (which beats a porta potty in rougher seas) and are far more stable that a 22' monohull. You'd want to stick to the GRP models as the older plywood models are beginnning to have structural problems. The con is they might be out of your budget and they're not that user friendly when it comes to getting them back on the trailer - apparently not something you'd want to do on a daily basis. But they do tend to have easily droppable masts which may be a consideration if you find yourself dealing with a lot of bridges on your route.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 15:58   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Maybe you should consider a small trimaran. There are several available with fold up outrigger hulls for trailer transport. You wouldn't need to be too concerned with draft limitations for coastal cruising and most of these feature a small cabin, usually with a small head (which beats a porta potty in rougher seas) and are far more stable that a 22' monohull. You'd want to stick to the GRP models as the older plywood models are beginnning to have structural problems. The con is they might be out of your budget and they're not that user friendly when it comes to getting them back on the trailer - apparently not something you'd want to do on a daily basis. But they do tend to have easily droppable masts which may be a consideration if you find yourself dealing with a lot of bridges on your route.
Here's one in England (which is rare as there boats were built in California). It's a bit more money but far newer than the onr you're looking at.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 16:19   #11

Hi. I’m from Portugal, too
Yes, it is very difficult to find what you’re looking for in Portugal.
I eventually found something similar, a Rocca Super Chausey (French) with some modifications made by the previous owner, near Lisbon.
I have searched extensively for something like the kind of boat I think you’re looking for, so I built a sort of a collection of links to boats that might be suitable, I’ll try to post them tomorrow - I’m on the ipad and not sure if/how I can export the links all together from a bookmarks folder...

I was considering at the time buying one from France. They have a much bigger market of these small trailer sailers.
Check here for example:
https://www.paruvendu.fr/bateau-nautisme/
The ones they call “peche-promenade” are usually small, with small cabins, trailerable and cheap.
If you have some question, shoot, I’ll help if I can
ptrailsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 18:02   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Portugal Sailors (Iberian Peninsula)

Uk is your best bet.. bring it from Plymouth or Portsmouth on the Santander ferry..
https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/prelude-19/464879
https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/pedro-17/582097

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 08:20   #13

Hey Thanks for all the input! much appreciated. I have considered at the start to get a bigger boat and sail it to Portugal. Now i am kind of focused on smaller on a trailer easy to travel and load. My thoughts are if I get this type first I could have it on the property for future use 4 anyone to use when they come. Also if it is small enough I could use my car to take it loads on places inland or do a few day road trip to places that would take me weeks/months to get to in Europe. My history is long haul trips in Canada and NA on land buses, trucks RV's Cars all of em, many years. I have towed many trailers in the past for work so it is not that big an issue for me.

The trimaran style I like but if it is a constant struggle for new people to get it right for loading - it would defeat the purpose of what I am thinking longterm for the boat.

I have been seeing Spain and France boats even Germany and Swiss ads have caught my eye. If it has a roadworthy trailer I get interested fast!

I do agree with Boatman61 the Uk keeps my attention reg. The Santander ferry goes to UK? I checked it out for the new route to Cork Ireland. Was pretty excited when that one came out. If Santander gets me to the UK it opens up alot of options. I even considered driving the whole way but the Ferry seems like a better choice with a new purchase. If I go far I will make this a vacation/purchase trip.

I will check out the links everyone sent and keep my mind open to all the possibilities and options. All the input is great!

Ptrail sail where are you in Portugal? I appreciate your offer the search terms really help "peche-promenade" stuff like that really helps when searching other countries/languages. all a learning curve but when you figure out some common terms searches get easier. any others could help if anyone can think of some
Thanks all!
Old 17-11-2019, 09:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Uk is your best bet.. bring it from Plymouth or Portsmouth on the Santander ferry..
https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/prelude-19/464879
https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/pedro-17/582097

These 2 boats are very much what I am looking for. The Pedro is cool for a 17 t seems very well laid out, almost big! I did see these ads before but since I have limited knowledge on the makes its great to see someone with skills and knowledge say they are good choices. Thanks Phil

I did call the one in Northern Ireland the other day about the nimrod he has many interesting priced boats. with Brexit looming makes u think a business of selling small sailboats might be an idea for Portugal. Maybe I am sunday rainy day dreaming but who knows.

Now its just looking for personal use and lending to visitors
Old 17-11-2019, 13:30   #15

Hey Geoff, I hear you on the boats, i am looking at a bunch...just curious out of 36 posts and a member since 2009... what made you post on this thread? no worries just wondering if you are in Portugal or wanting to come here....either way cool that you posted your thoughts if you are looking to come here I can help you with good traditional visit to thus area. Not a sales pitch. I live here love to tell people about it

Luckily my entry has been very pleasant with all the locals, very cool history in this area.

Vasco Da Gama used to pray in Nazare before his travels!

There is a monument by the church in the sitio commemorating his presence.
I figure I will pray there b4 my trips gleam some luck...lol

Tags
Portugal, sail