Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 07:49   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Catalina 25 Sailboat + Trailer For Sale

I’m selling a really nice 1977 Catalina 25 sailboat with a custom-made boat trailer and 8HP Tohatsu long shaft outboard motor. Based in Earlysville, Virginia. This is a very popular sailboat, and it’s great for single-hand sailing or going out with your family for some cruising. My wife and 4 little kids and I have spent some amazing time on the water in this beloved boat since we bought it in July 2020, but we regrettably have to sell it to help pay for my upcoming heart surgery. This is a nice package deal that I have priced to sell.

Over 6,000 Catalina 25 sailboats were made, and this is one of the first off the factory line, and is hull number 8! I called Catalina with some questions, and they were very excited to hear from me because this is the earliest Catalina 25 that they had ever been able to track down! Accordingly, it appears to be overbuilt like a tank.

There are no major repairs that need to be done on this boat, and it’s in very good sailing condition. But all boats require some maintenance, and this one is no different. I consider myself to be an honest guy, so below I’ll mention the few minor improvements / repairs that I feel would be good to be made. And fortunately, because this is such a popular sailboat, replacement and upgrade parts are easily available for this boat through Catalina Direct. Here are the details about the boat:

HULL / KEEL:
When I bought this boat from a very honest seller last year, I had it pulled out of the water to be inspected. The marina inspector said that it was in great shape, just like the seller had told me. No leaks or soft spots throughout the thick hull. And the decks are firm throughout. This is an extremely dry boat. We sailed it in late summer & fall 2020 on the Rappahannock River where we stored it at a marina parking lot and launched it every time. And then in 2021 we kept it in a slip for about 4 months on the Potomac River. We were pleased to see absolutely no hull leaks the entire time. We now have it on our farm in Earlysville, Virginia.

The hull has some very minor gel coat scratches on the exterior, and there appears to have been some minor fiberglass repairs at some point. But nothing major or structural. This boat is in great condition, and it is ready to sail. The last time we sailed it was last month on the Potomac River and everything worked great. The boat easily gets up to the max hull speed of 6.4 knots in about 15 knots of wind.

The boat has a swing keel which is really nice for sailing or motoring in shallow water. The keel was upgraded with a new pin and anti-sway kit with new cables on the winch for lifting the keel.

The previous owner stripped the bottom paint 3 or 4 years ago and coated it with a 2 part epoxy primer and multiple coats of high grade bottom paint. He added more paint each year until I bought it.

DECK / MAST / RIGGING:
The deck is in great condition, and as previously mentioned, the decks were painted with high grade epoxy paint and it still looks great. We have kept it scrubbed regularly. The mast and rigging are in good working order. The deck has two upgraded 3-line Spinlock rope clutches that make for amazingly easy handling of the lines (a $400 value all on their own). The winches are solid and in good working order. The life line stanchions are solid. The life lines themselves are functional, but the plastic coating is starting to crack and peel.

I added swim ladder hardware to the starboard foredeck, and will include a folding swim ladder, which makes a huge difference in the fun you can have with your family.

The bow anchor hatch contains a nice Danforth Anchor and plenty of chain and anchor rope are included. I recently just added 10 extra feet of chain, so you’ll have plenty of heavy rode for anchoring. You may want to add a new knob on the anchor hatch door, as the small knob is missing. But it’s still functional.

I recently did a thorough repair of the bimini, including the addition of new locking spring brackets and fabric bimini straps. I’ll also throw in an extra cloth strap.

SAILS:
The sailboat comes with 3 sails and a main sail cover. The mainsail is functional, but will probably need to be replaced in 2-3 years. The mainsail cover is worn and will need repair or replacement in the future. Included is a 110 hank-on Jib sail that’s in good condition, and also a nice 150 Genoa sail & whisker pole (I never used the Genoa or whisker pole).

COCKPIT :
The cockpit is roomy and comfortable for sailing. Last year I paid to have a transducer and depth finder professionally installed, which made a huge difference in our sailing this year. A new GPS knotmeter was also recently added by the previous owner.

I replaced the old delaminating tiller with a nice new wooden tiller. The rudder is in good condition, but has a small patch of peeling bottom paint.
The hinges on the seats in the cockpit need to be replaced. I recently bought new hinges, but due to my heart condition, I haven’t been able to replace them.

The cockpit compass has never worked, so you may wish to replace it if you like to use a compass. We used Navionics on our phones, so it wasn’t an inconvenience to us.

You may wish to put another coat or two of paint on the cockpit floor as there are a few small spider cracks. Nothing structural, so it’s not something that bothered us.

CABIN:
The cabin is in great condition, and is equipped with a full set of cushions which are clean and in great condition. They are soft and great to sit or sleep on. We found a way to arrange the cabin to sleep our family of six, including a king size bed setup for my wife and I. The cabin has a new dining table. The interior woodwork is in nice condition. The sink and the pump for the faucet work perfectly. The original head (toilet) has been replaced and the new one (and the plumbing) work perfectly. We just pumped it out thoroughly before we trailered the boat home last month.

The boat comes with a newer 12 volt marine battery to run the electrical panel. I keep this battery charged regularly. Last fall I hired a mechanic to ensure that all the navigation lights work, and I confirmed that they still worked this summer. The original cabin lights were replaced with efficient LED lights. A USB charging port for charging your phone has been installed in the cabin. The cabin is ventilated with a working solar vent fan. The boat comes with a functioning marine VHF radio in the cabin that connects to the mast.

The cabin has an amazing pop top, which is great for ventilation and headroom that you normally wouldn’t get on a boat this size.
When I purchased the boat last summer there were some minor leaks coming into the cabin from some windows and a deck stanchion. So last year I sealed that stanchion hardware and all the windows and there are absolutely no leaks coming into the boat, except for some minor moisture that comes through the companionway hatch in hard rainstorms, like with most sailboats. But that is absolutely no concern, as barely any water gets to the floor now. Even in the hardest of rainstorms. I have prided myself on this accomplishment.

MOTOR:
The Tohatsu motor is an electric start long shaft 8HP model. The first few times we used it, we had some issues with the motor cutting out. But we replaced all the fuel lines and paid to have the motor professionally overhauled, and it has run perfectly ever since, for many hours of motoring. The previous owner also had the impeller replaced right before we bought it. Now it starts so easily (usually on the first pull).

Last year I also paid to have the motor wired for electric start, which was a nice upgrade. But I think that the rubber button must have hardened over the winter, and needs to be replaced. It’s probably just a few dollars to replace. I will also include an extra marine battery for the electric start if you decide to use that feature. The motor comes with a 3 gallon Tohatsu gas tank.

TRAILER:
One huge selling point for this sailboat is the trailer. It appears to be custom-made for this boat, and is very well built. I’m no trailer expert, but I have had several strangers approach me just to tell me how impressed they were by this trailer. It has dual wheels and all four tires were replaced with new ones 2 years ago. I replaced the spare tire and the mounting bracket a few months ago. I completely rewired the lighting and replaced all the trailer lights. Nice upgrade!

The disc brakes are set up on a surge braking system that works great. The trailer is currently licensed and has a current Virginia inspection. I’ve seen similar trailers sell for around $2k.

I replaced the old wheeled trailer jack with a nice new one with a flat foot. This makes it much easier to jack the trailer up and down. And I have been faithful about greasing the trailer axels before hauling, before launching into the water, and after coming out of the water.

EXTRAS:
I will include some extra dock lines, life jackets, fenders, hatchway insect screens, and a nice bimini top. I will also include the mast stepping boards that we use to raise and lower the mast, and heavy duty ratchet straps to secure the boat to the trailer. Because of our long-distance trailering I came up with a very clean and efficient Velcro strap system for securing the lines and rigging to the mast during transport. I’ll include all the Velcro straps.

INSPECTION:
You are welcome to bring someone to inspect the boat, but since the boat is taken down, and we are 2.5 hours from a good body of water, we are unable to take you sailing on it. Please let me know if you have any questions. Check out the photos to see the nice condition. The boat is nicely strapped down and ready to transport to your home or marina!

PRICE:
$6,900 or best offer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1596930985783_main.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	245800   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220896R.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	245801  

Name:	20210602_102118.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	245802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210602_102155.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	245803  

Name:	P1220923R.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	245804   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220852R.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	245805  

sailorcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 13:04   #2

Re: Catalina 25 Sailboat + Trailer For Sale

Hello sir. I'm interested in your boat. I wanna to see more details
Do you have whatpp or another connection programs?
Papillonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 14:31   #3

Yes, I do. Will you please send me a private message and then I'll share my contact details?
Old 25-09-2021, 14:47   #4

Thanks for your answering.
This is my whatpp account 381611086094.
Currently I use this app. If you have another better one just leave me a message or something this account wrong also. Thanks!
Papillonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 07:50   #5

I couldn't find you on WhatsApp.
Old 29-09-2021, 16:44   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Looks like a clean boat
Note the individual requesting info is new as of a couple of days ago with no other posts but this for sale thread
Old 29-09-2021, 17:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Echoing AKA — be careful in the sale process, take usual precautions. You may want to read this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=253251
Old 04-10-2021, 05:40   #8

I just sold it Saturday.

Tags
boat, catalina, for sale, sail, sailboat, sale, trailer