Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 06:17   #1

Hunter (Cherubini) 27 possibilities

Hey everyone.
I have found a 82 Hunter 27 in very good shape.
Of course it needs a bit of TLC but not really much.
Engine is a Yanmar,checks out and they really are easy to work on.
Portlights don't leak but the plexiglass is brittle at the hinges.
Bottom paint needs doing.
Fuel tank needs replaced.
I've checked all the problems areas and she looks good to go,pending survey of course.

I guess my question to you the community is this:
Even though I have the finances to buy something in better condition(turn key,if there is such a thing),should I go with my gut and make the boat they way I want it?

I love the design,has wheel steering,great tankage and plenty of room for me.
I've never been a real fixer up type but can wrench anything that sucks gas or diesel.
I guess I just don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks for any and all comments.
Farseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:24   #2

Re: Hunter (Cherubini) 27 possibilities

I bought an 81 or 82 Hunter 27 without knowing a thing about boats. I think I paid $4500 for it in 2017. It was a great little boat with the Yanmar 1GM. Knowing what I know now about boats, the Cherubini was a cake walk. Most everything is easy to get to since there isn't that many compartments, and unless it's electronics heavy, there's not that much to do electrically.

As long as the bottom is in good order, the keel isn't about to fall off, and the mast and rigging are in good shape, I'd buy it and toll with it.

ETA: My Cherubini was fairly quick under sail, but that one banger engine didn't get you anywhere in a hurry, so don't set any high expectations.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There is a threshold at which I and others on the forum recommend that a beginner buy a smaller turnkey rather than a project. The reason for it is that the cheap project boat ends up costing more than the turnkey as the undiscovered faults get discovered and the time spent in the yard working on it prevents reaching the goal - going sailing.

Remember that a low price is there because the owner realizes that fixing the boat will cost more than he will get back with a new higher price after the work is done.

Replacing fuel tanks can be a nightmare. Be sure that you can get them out and find new ones to put in.

It doesn't sound like you are across the threshold - bottom paint will get you on the water, if the survey agrees with your assessment. So, be very careful that you are not getting blinded by low cost and sort of OK condition, and have a very good time with it.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The reason for it is that the cheap project boat ends up costing more than the turnkey as the undiscovered faults get discovered and the time spent in the yard working on it prevents reaching the goal - going sailing.

Something small and simply built like the Cherubini 27' can't be lumped in to what we consider "projects". There's just not that much to them, and long term investments can be as much or as little as a buyer wants. As long as there's no heavy structural damage that requires taking the mast down, or the keel off, there's really not much that can demand extravagant costs. Even if the fuel tanks need replacing, one could put a portable 12g tank in a lazerette and run the 1 cylinder engine for miles and miles.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:24   #5

Co-owned a '79 for a couple of years, 1999 - 2001. Great, simple boat. It pointed surprisingly well for the short keel it had. Everything accessible and fixable. I hated the one-lunger diesel because it was loud and underpowered, but it never failed to start - I could hand crank start it if the battery was dead, too! We had an issue with some rot under the mast support that had to be repaired, but other than that there wasn't anything major that I can recall. I say go for it.
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:11   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

You will get lots of advice here!!

I have owned a 1987 Hunter 31, 2004 Huntet 386 and now 2005 Hunter 46. All required TLC and bottom paint, which are normal maintenance items to Buyer. All had/have Yanmar engines in good to excellent condition. If it was me buy the newest, turnkey sailboat you can afford OR buy the lower cost one and pay less sales and annual personal property taxes. You can easily spend the cost of the boat on maintenance and equipment replacement like rigging, sails, safety equipment, lifelines,, electronics, head repairs, etc. Only you can make that decision.

Recommend making a list of each sailboat withe their purchase cost, estimated repair costs, pros and cons. That will help you make an informed decision.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 15:26   #7

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall

I used to own hull #1 of the Cherubini designed Hunter 36. Even though it was a bit more complex than a 27' it was in about the shape you describe of the 27. We had many fun years on that boat! You'll most likely be able to enjoy it while you work on it (after the fuel tank replacement, that is!). And I beleive the fuel tank is easily accessible through one of the cockpit lockers.

Another plus for that small Yanmar diesel is that it's probably able to be started with a hand crank if you have a battery/starter problem. Our 36' had a 22 hp Yanmar and with the compression release, we hand started it several times.

Once you get a survey of a sound hull ... go and enjoy it!!
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 19:52   #8

Just a little clarity.
I've been in and around the water my whole life.
Came from the powerboat side,HAHA!
I have been only sailing for about 3 years.
My first boat was/is a 2014 West Wight Potter 19.
Great little boat,sails well and rock solid.
Just limited comfort wise,though ok.

I guess I was just nervous about jumping into a project boat.
But feel better after all the great advice I've received so far.

As for the Hunter 27,I'll keep you all in the loop.

Thanks for the replies,keep them coming.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer View Post
I guess I was just nervous about jumping into a project boat.

Having owned one, the only thing that could deter me from buying another would be heavy delamination or fiberglass work. And even then it would have to be like an entire side of the boat or something. The bilges are just under the floor boards so they're easy to inspect, wiring to everything electronic is extremely accessible, the 1GM is easily serviceable with plenty of room, and it was a really easy boat to single hand. I probably wouldn't even bother with a survey if I were you, unless there's something that's glaringly obvious. Save the survey money and buy some new instruments or something.

I really enjoyed mine, sailing just wasn't something that my spouse and I were cut out to enjoy together. I loved it, he didn't.
Old 11-07-2021, 18:47   #10

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

I've owned my 84 H27 for 4 years now, The boat was a sail away with no glaring issues. Over the last four years I've come to learn that if you own a older boat you will never be able to say I have nothing to do. The biggest aggravtion is the constantly leaking toe rail. If you have the time, rebed the toe rail with bytul tape and repace all the round head bolts with Hex head. If not recaulk the seams and tigher all the bolts you can get at. I'm a retired cabinetmaker and the stark white interion made me feel as though I was inside a refrigerator, thus many more project of my own doing. Hence a long list of personal upgrades, be happy to share them if interested.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:37   #11

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

A bit late in responding here I know, but I've lived on my '81 H27 for the past 5.5 years. You asked about possibilities, so here goes. As everyone has previously stated, these are simple, basic boats. I've added a MarineAirrrr reverse cycle unit in the 1/4-berth, 8-batteries (start bank plus 3 house banks), solar, AIS (receive only), propane locker for heating and cooking, refrigeration, a washdown system, salt and fresh water showers in the cockpit, added an inner forestay and staysail, boom vang, dual biminis (not enough room for a proper dodger), radar and dual chart plotters, a shower sump in the head and a whole lot more. Have sailed the boat from Virginia to the Gulf Coast twice, rode out the outer edges of Hurricanes Zeta and Ida (as well as a few of other storms/hurricanes in the Chesapeake Bay or along the Gulf Coast). Solid little boats, these. No blue water cruiser but darn good for what they were designed for. Main issues with these boats: Compression post failure (just rebuilt mine). The compression post and substrate beneath the head sole are all pine and susceptible to rot. Balsa coring rot in the coachtop sides and roof. The boat is underpowered with the 1GM (Learned the hard way that the 2-blade prop is more efficient/effective than upgrading to a 3-blade prop which results in excessive clutch wear in the Kanzaki gearbox). As a first boat, these are easy to sail single handed and are rather forgiving in terms of repair.
Old 06-04-2022, 00:01   #12

Boat: 84 Hunter 27

So did you jump in on that Hunter?
IMEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:49   #13

Yes I did..owner dropped the price and I pulled the trigger.
Ended up rewiring the boat and putting a new electrical panel in.
Replaced the portlights..found a shop near Dundalk Maryland that had boxes of the lenses.
She wasn't anywhere as bad off as I thought she was.
I'm enjoying the challenge of working on the boat.
She looks like a whole different boat now.
Sails well and is comfortable..I have a few people asking me if I want to sell her.
I may just do that..flipping her for a profit.
Then again I may just keep modifying her and see where it leads.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:48   #14

Boat: 84 Hunter 27

That's the thing ... You made her your own ... breathed part of your soul into her. She won't feel like a hooker when you take her out. You will be more intimate with her ins and outs.

I did the same with mine ... Just needed to massage the sore spots a little and buy her some new clothes and makeup. [Cheaper is you can sew]:😃

She's a boat so you were going to be in the maintenance loop anyway. You basically paid yourself to learn what her priorities are and what is really just cosmetic.
IMEJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, hunter cherubini