Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 13:58   #1

Beneteau 393 vs Gemini 105Mc?

Hi all.

Had a couple deals on some older boats fall through due to problems with insurance not being able to provide coverage (electrical issues and old rigging) so I’m considering a couple “newer” options that I like. Unfortunately I’d have to finance but that’s how it goes I guess.

In any case, both the Beneteu and the Gemini are close in price and proximity (the PNW). Aside from a trip to Hawaii and then to Alaska I plan to mostly just cruise the down the West coast to Panama then the Caribbean, Florida, ICW and the Great Lakes.

I think both are capable but was wondering what folks thoughts were on this before I go much further. Initially my first preference would have been a heavier displacement boat like a Tayana or Valiant but I just can’t find one that isn’t a basket case and in also in a price range where I could pay cash (50k). I figure I could finance a 100k boat and pay it off in a few years when I’m ready to quit my job and travel for awhile.

In any case I think either the Beneteu or the Gemini would get the job done just not sure which one would do it better.

Thanks for any and all input.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 14:05   #2

Re: Beneteau 393 vs Gemini 105Mc?

I’d go with the Beneteau. Sturdier and much better load carrying capacity.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 22:08   #3

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

I've chartered the Gemini 105MC and sailed a lot on a friends Beneteau 373. I'd buy the Bene between those choices.

The Gemini's solid bridge deck pounds when going upwind. Going upwind in 6'+ swells is a loud unpleasant experience. The decks of the three Gemini's I've boarded all had spider cracks near the shrouds. On the plus side it has a great layout for it's length, and is quick off the wind. The interior is nice as well at anchor. I disliked the silhouette drive leg and they seem to be a love/hate affair for many.

If you wanted a small catamaran a small PDQ, or a FP Tobago 35 or Mahe 36 are much better choices. If you really want a Gemini though there is a yahoo owners group with a lot of good information. Between the Beneteau 393 and a Mahe 36 I'd have a much harder time deciding.

While I haven't sailed the B393, my friend's 373 was a really nice sailing boat. The construction quality looked superior to the Gemini. You'll lose out on level sailing, and shallow draft, but interior space will be similar, payload will be better, and you will have a much stronger boat in heavy weather.

Finally this boat may be more to your liking if you want a heavier displacement boat. I've only seen it from the outside as it's at my marina but it looks very clean and is priced fairly. (Fast Passage 39 Cutter) https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...utter-3195582/
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 00:20   #4

We lived on a Gemini for about 10yrs and its on the top of our list if when we get another boat.

The bridge deck will pound in the right conditions...but not in swells. In swells it rides up and over the wave. It's short steep 3-5' waves that are uncomfortable but it can be greatly reduced by bearing off 20-30 degrees.

They aren't gold platers and they do have a tendency to develop spider cracks. Short of a major grounding or collision, I've not heard of any structural issues related to it.

There are those that will tell you they can't do offshore but many have crossed oceans. Use some common sense, make sure the boat is in good condition before departing and it's quite capable of most off shore runs.

I do have a strong preference for the earlier outboard powered versions. Much simpler and with modern 4 strokes, you don't lose much in range.

For 2 people, capacity should be an issue unless you go crazy loading her up.

Once at anchor/dock, having windows you can see out makes a much nicer living experience and you will likely spend 90% of your time in that condition. Plus less rocking.

If you have a $50k budget, you can probably find one in decent shape late 90's vintage. One nice thing is the systems are simple so a good DIY boat.

Compared to the other cats listed, you don't have the issues with beam. The Gemini is 14' wide meaning it's rare not to be able to get into a slip.

I won't tell you the boat is perfect but it is a nice cruising platform. If you are looking at doing the Great Loop (great lakes, ICW), it's the preferable option.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 05:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I won't tell you the [Gemini] is perfect but it is a nice cruising platform. If you are looking at doing the Great Loop (great lakes, ICW), it's the preferable option.
Absolutely true. Great boat for the great loop.

For sailing up the west coast to Alaska? Not so much...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 05:39   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

I spent a lot of time on a 393 with shoal draft and in mast furling. Hated how it sailed upwind.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 08:18   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

In my home waters of the Pacific NW and Canada, this would be an easy choice - the Beneteau. And, while, I have not sailed the 393, I have a fair amount of time in the 373 and 361. They have similar underwater lines to the 393 and both go to windward just fine in my experience - certainly far superior to the windward performance of any cat I have been aboard.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 08:28   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

The OP said he wanted to sail from Hawaii to Alaska but if he wanted to do the inside passage from the PNW to Alaska then I think the Gem would be OK.
Old 17-11-2018, 08:39   #9

Well there's the problem right there - short keel and in-mast furling means no grip in water and no power in the main. Not a good combination for upwind sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I spent a lot of time on a 393 with shoal draft and in mast furling. Hated how it sailed upwind.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 14:16   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have a Beneteau 382 (very similar profile) I was hired once to captain a Gemini 35. (I Think) It sailed alright but there was something going on with the steering. It seemed like a steering lock was on but it wasn't. The other thing about the Gemini I didn't like was the forward visibility from the helm. If I remember you had to look through the cabin. As far as pounding , pick your poison. Monohulls, especially flat bottom ones will pound to weather if you have a steep swell, and the low bridge deck on the Gemini will get hit by waves passing under (all day long). I just prefer the motion of a monohull better. It doesn't feel as jerky. I did have a FP Tobago for a few years and there is nothing better than a cat at anchor as far as comfort and room. Clearances into shallow anchorages in the Bahamas I think would be a big factor if your going there.

Sea Trail both and see what you like. Remeber you will be anchored more than sailing when you cruise.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 15:00   #11

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

I'll also put in a good word for the Gemini, I've sailed many many mono hulls and moving to this 14' beam with no heeling has made all the difference in the world with whether or not my Admiral will actually go out on the boat with me. It does handle waves very well, All though I've been a tried and true mono hull person, I am very very pleased with my catmaran, it's a 1998 105M
Old 17-11-2018, 15:01   #12

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

The spider cracks we all experience are simply cosmetic, and the 3 cylinder diesel has been very reliable
Old 17-11-2018, 16:16   #13

I love the Gemini, mine is a 2005 105mc..I think what I like best about it is the shallow draft & the Rudders kick up...you can motor in 3ft no problem. ..if you want to find a spot out of the way it makes life less stressful. ..but if I was going to Hawaii I might like a mono hull,,it really is all about your plans. ..the Gemini will & has done many open water crossings & I like to find little out of the way places & in the end that was why I bought one...
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 00:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Care to provide info on why you think this rather than a random statement with nothing to substantiate it? (honest question)

I know of several in the PNW and haven't heard where they have difficulty.
Old 18-11-2018, 00:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
It sailed alright but there was something going on with the steering. It seemed like a steering lock was on but it wasn't. The other thing about the Gemini I didn't like was the forward visibility from the helm. If I remember you had to look through the cabin.
Common problem but not Gemini specific. Most have a wheel mounted autopilot and if it gets out of adjustment it tends to stick.

Yes, you look thru the front windshield but the rear windows drop do it's only one layer and there is plenty of window so no real issues seeing forward. With the wheel to starboard, it is more convenient to dock on that side, so you can handle the stern lines while managing the helm but not a major issue to dock to port side. Really no worse than looking thru a dodger.

If the PNW is the cruising ground being able to stay out of the wind and rain is really nice. Many times we've been sitting in the cockpit in shorts and tshirts while monos are going by in their foulies. Of course, you can add a canvas tent to the back of a mono to get similar.

Tags
beneteau, gemini, gemini 105