Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 15:59   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Gulfstar 37 or Pearson 365

I changed my mind here you are you weird rude twit stocking conversation.

http://www.jordanyachts.com/2645

Now say you’re sorry and quit fact checking stuff from a couch.
I’ve asked an admin to have a chat about insulting people without facts. That’s trolling in my book and you should be removed
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 16:46   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Sorry you feel that way. So look up the build history yourself. It’s common knowledge but you’re mannerism doesn’t warrant the courtesy.
Quote:
Every time you fact checked me so far you were wrong. Maybe don’t make your assumptions out loud. Or a less stocking would be great.
Let’s let admins decide shall we

Nice deflection since I asked you to back up your claims. I have looked at many of your erroneous claims and could not find any proof to back up your wild statements regarding boat construction.

As far as stocking...good god man you're on every thread posting every few minutes. You have the right to do that I suppose...but 1200 posts in 4 months? Where do you find the time with all the boats and cars you have?

Let me clue you in on a feature Cruisers Forum has...
At the bottom of someones post, to the right, there is (Thumbs up Thanks)box. Next to it is a (Quote)box and next to that is a ("+) multi-quote box. Instead of posting every 2 minutes you merely click on all the posts you want to respond to via the ("+) box and the last quote of that pile you click on the Quote box that you usually do and viola, you can blabber to your hearts content. Or perhaps it is your goal to accumulate numbers as some form of trophy. It boggles my mind.
"It’s common knowledge but you’re mannerism doesn’t warrant the courtesy." Really? common to whom? I have been asked nicely by the mods on the rare occasion over the last 16 years I have been here, to be nice and tone it down a notch. Trust me...this is toned down. Maybe put on your big boy pants and learn a few things here. I have a close friend who always says..."you have 2 ears and a mouth...play the odds".
I'm sure if the mods have a problem with this or any of my posts, they will let me know or close the thread down.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 17:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
'm shopping for a good deal/project. Both of these boats are contenders. Both or in "un-loved" condition. The Pearson has some damage and the Gulfstar has been abandoned at a marina.

Let's assume they are in the same condition and are of equal value (under $10K)

All things being equal, which is the better boat?
I had a G37 1977--it was surprisingly fast due to its long waterline. Beware of the floor support system where they used 2x4s supported at the ends by house style zinc plated metal joist fittings to hold the ends of the 2x4s . however it was a better boat than my friends Pearson 365.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 17:42   #19

OP if the Pearson has a clean hull and not the Atomic 4 engine it could be worth it.
The 35 had a few engines but the atomic is a hard one to live with. They are heavy and use to win races. Check the centre board isn’t banged about. Was a lot of them still standing on the Great Lakes
Old 20-07-2022, 17:53   #20

The Pearson 365 never came with an Atomic 4. They were Westerbeke 4-107s or Perkins 4-108s.
https://sailingmagazine.net/article-...arson-365.html
https://www.soundingsonline.com/boats/pearson-365steve

...and no centerboard by the way.
So another erroneous statement.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-07-2022, 18:06   #21

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I had a G37 1977--it was surprisingly fast due to its long waterline. Beware of the floor support system where they used 2x4s supported at the ends by house style zinc plated metal joist fittings to hold the ends of the 2x4s . however it was a better boat than my friends Pearson 365.
Definitely a prettier boat, I will give you that. 2' more waterline and a heavier boat too. And the 365 is slow in light air.
Double the tankage though and thats worth a lot in a cruiser. My impression was the Gulfstar 37 scantlings and tabbing were a bit light. That floor hanger description reinforces my first impression -but all things considered they are nice looking boats and I wouldnt hesitate to dive deep in assesing its worth as a restoration project. The interiors were very attractive
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 18:07   #22

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
OP if the Pearson has a clean hull and not the Atomic 4 engine it could be worth it.
The 35 had a few engines but the atomic is a hard one to live with. They are heavy and use to win races. Check the centre board isn’t banged about. Was a lot of them still standing on the Great Lakes
I don't think the 365 came with a centerboard option...
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 18:20   #23

The Pearson 35 has a centerboard, but that is not a Pearson 365 or 367.

Here is a sample of CF threads RE Gulfstar

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-165263.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tar-34705.html

Powerboat review, but might shed some light
https://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/gulfstar_43.htm

Drop this into search engine of your choice and peruse the results
"gulfstar 37" site:.cruisersforum.com

"gulfstar 37" "chopper gun" will help narrow your search to these terms
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 06:46   #24

The Pearson was originally built from the very first build with an atomic. 4. I wasn’t sure if it made to the 365 version. So nit pick if you like.
Old 21-07-2022, 07:07   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
The Pearson was originally built from the very first build with an atomic. 4. I wasn’t sure if it made to the 365 version. So nit pick if you like.

The Pearson?

What Pearson is “the Pearson”?

It’s not a nit, it’s a question about a particular model, not all models from the beginning.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 07:12   #26

Gulfstar use to make this narrow awkward troller. Some frugal fellow in the large covered slips bought one. The gel coat everywhere was shot but the owners were happy. I think the longest trip they took was two hours. At the end of the season two slings in an overhead railway pick up the boats and beams and blocks put in for the winter. I’m two slips over from “ the tank” we knicknamed it. I heard the boat scream when they lifted it. Sat all winter no worries. Spring comes and all the water embedded in the chopper gun has cracked the interior glass structure. The square toe rail 80% blown in glass caves in and crushes right where you are suppose to sling this boat. Was a great boat in its day but expired. The gunnel cap was 80%+ chopper gun. They were kinda famous for tossing any old piece of wood here or there.
We saw Grew make garbage with Chris Craft mould here. Boatpoker was telling me about Neptunis builds with flexing hulls and bad motor mounts. The sell junk for 2-3m.
Some famous high end brands have boats handlaid solid glass delaminating 40 years old. Captain error or factory flaw
It’s a scary world out there if your not willing to admit you’ve made a bad purchase or think competing of an Internet forum helps the op not follow.
We could be gentle suggest all boat brands are wonderful so to not bruise any egos.
Old 21-07-2022, 07:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The Pearson?

What Pearson is “the Pearson”?

It’s not a nit, it’s a question about a particular model, not all models from the beginning.
You're wasting your breath.
Old 21-07-2022, 08:14   #28

I find it difficult to get away from: Engine? Sails? Condition specifics.... whether the OP wants to or not. It's important on a project boat. They seem to be similar boats. So not a lot to say regarding which from that standpoint.
Most examples of both builders are pretty good. I would say the Pearson has the edge build quality wise, but not huge. The thing is, certain models of makers are not as good as others built by them sometimes.
If things truly are equal I would go Pearson. But obviously they are not.
If details are not important then it's a worthless question. Like asking : Ford or Chevy? What do YOU want?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 13:14   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
What year were they manufactured? Are the masts intact? How extensive is the “some damage”? Are the engines and transmissions salvageable? Do you possess any of the skills necessary to do any repairs yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I find it difficult to get away from: Engine? Sails? Condition specifics.... whether the OP wants to or not. It's important on a project boat. They seem to be similar boats. So not a lot to say regarding which from that standpoint.
Most examples of both builders are pretty good. I would say the Pearson has the edge build quality wise, but not huge. The thing is, certain models of makers are not as good as others built by them sometimes.
If things truly are equal I would go Pearson. But obviously they are not.
If details are not important then it's a worthless question. Like asking : Ford or Chevy? What do YOU want?
As you can see above I already tried this tactic, the OP was not interested in the least, somewhat offended. Sometime people have to learn the hard way.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:41   #30

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
'm shopping for a good deal/project. Both of these boats are contenders. Both or in "un-loved" condition. The Pearson has some damage and the Gulfstar has been abandoned at a marina.

Let's assume they are in the same condition and are of equal value (under $10K)

All things being equal, which is the better boat?
Absolutely Pearson. Gulfstar may give you more volume but they were not built well to start with and given the age of the boat you are buying at such price go for a proven quality of the core built.

Tags
gulfstar, pearson, pearson 365