Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 16:42   #1

Abandoned Catalac 10m

I was told the other day about a Catalac 10m (don't know the year) that was bought about 3 years ago by a Canadian from an owner in Florida. Apparently during the sail from Florida to Vancouver Island the mast and rigging were broken. Its now been tied up for 3 years and the owner hasn't visited (they apparently live in the middle of the country). Does anyone know any more details about this story?

Anyone have an idea of what a Catalac 10m with no mast/rigging that has been abandoned for 3 years would be worth on the market? Assume hull is fine, and that interior condition is average, and that engines are below average.
BC Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Abandoned Catalac 10m

Well... offhand I'd say around $80k in good all round condition well equipped...
So I figure start at 50% if thats all thats wrong with her... less if there's more...
These are better sailers than their smaller sisters and the beam ratios more favourable... if you can grab it you'll have a good strong boat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:02   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Abandoned Catalac 10m

I think it's worth a lot less than that over here in the USA. Where's it located? My guess would be more like $10-$20K at the most, maybe less. Remember, it is a buyers market right now. And that sounds like a boat that nobody is going to be bidding on.
Old 04-03-2011, 17:04   #4

Its located on Vancouver Island in Canada. The PNW market sets the prices in the area.
Old 04-03-2011, 17:09   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sounds simplistic, but I always follow a friend's advice and it has worked for me. He told me that it is always appropriate to offer what the boat is worth to you, whatever the asking price might be. This has meant that sometimes I pay the asking price and other times I have offered much less. I explain my rationale and then move on if the seller doesn't like the offer.
Old 04-03-2011, 17:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

An excellent Philosophy Kettlewell....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:23   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If the owners are paying moorage and have just given up on her, they may be anxious to deal just to get out from under the monthly moorage bill. Could be an opportunity for a really lowball offer but make sure to search the title thoroughly for ownership and liens in both US and Canada. Kettlewell's advice is sound IMHO... good luck... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:15   #8
AMX

That is the boat I am looking for......any info on who owns it?
Thanks
AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:33   #9

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

If its been registered in Canada (IE it has a name and no numbers) then you can look it up if you can find out the name. Goverment web page has a search for names which will give you all the info you need.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:44   #10

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Value depends on the year. Have seen them for around 40k, and some a lot higher, it all depends on year. Check Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com for prices for the year pricing and if the rest of the boats good, offer half that or less.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:44   #11

AMX - I'm seeing it next Sunday. I call 'dibs' because I'm the one who found it. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll let you know whatever details I get.
Old 04-03-2011, 19:55   #12
AMX

Thanks, please take pictures even if it is junk.
AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:57   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If the prior owners are out of country, it is a good idea to run a search through the USCG or their state of residency. I have had several clients who were purchasing vessels both in the US and offshore and found it was important to search a number of different jurisdictions. While there is a cost involved, it might be worth it to engage a marine attorney to run the searches for you. If something goes awry down the track and you have made a 'good faith effort' to establish ownership and liens prior to purchase, you should be OK. One offshore client purchased a US documented vessel outside his country of residency and we found that there was lien against the vessel filed in Barbados even though the current owner, a US resident, claimed the boat lying in Mexico was owned free and clear. Just a word of caution, don't believe all representations of the current owner. Trust, but verify... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:15   #14

BC Cat. Is this the one that was dimasted in the Gulf of Mexico on delivery back in 2008?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... offhand I'd say around $80k in good all round condition well equipped...
So I figure start at 50% if thats all thats wrong with her... less if there's more...
These are better sailers than their smaller sisters and the beam ratios more favourable... if you can grab it you'll have a good strong boat...
Interesting thread. A friend who owns an 8m version has just found a 10m Catalac in very poor condition in the Solent. Owner an alcoholic now shoreside, debts for moorings etc and the boat in a shocking condition, although the mast is standing just.

He is hoping it will go for £10k (sterling) which will be a bargain if he can get it for that, but it will be a 2 year refit.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac