Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 05:59   #1

Catalac Questions

Thinking about purchasing a Catalac, either an 8M or 9M, or other similar catamaran, and I am hoping someone can offer answers to a couple questions.

The boat will be based in the Northwest and it seems that most of Catalacs for sale are on the East Coast somewhere. How costly would it be to ship a boat over 2,000 miles, especially since it has a 13-14-foot beam?

In the same vein, will they fit in a standard slip? We intend to cruise extensively and generally plan to anchor some, use moorings some, but would also want to be able to use a slip from time to time. Just wondering if the boat's beam limits the availability of slips.

Thanks for your input.

Dan B.
dbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19   #2

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Catalac Questions

Start making calls. The beam is within monos I'd guess but you'd want to check your local marinas. It will fit on a semi at an angle and be within width and bridge heights but a transport company will have the quotes. Call a bunch and for the heck of it don't forget to check out the railroads.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:36   #3

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Catalac Questions

I had a gemini for several years. It has a 14 foot beam that is difficult but possible to ship. They’re in the same price range as Cadillacs and I think they are a better built boat. You may be able to find the gemini on the West Coast and avoid the cost of shipping?

I like the Outboard equipped Geminis better than the ones that are equipped with inboards for sale drives. Sail drives are very difficult and expensive to maintain!

Slipping is kind of an issue. Some marinas have a hard and fast rule to charge extra for catamarans. Some charge based on the length and beam. For my 34 foot Gem, That translated into about a 15 foot beam. The same marina charged a different rate depending on who was behind the desk. I never learned predict what the cost was going to be.

I learned: advance and reserve a 34 x 14 Slip. But always got me the monohull rate until it came time to check in. Sometimes they looked out the window and changed the rate?

Good luck.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 13:37   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Catalac Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
I had a gemini for several years. It has a 14 foot beam that is difficult but possible to ship. They’re in the same price range as Cadillacs and I think they are a better built boat. You may be able to find the gemini on the West Coast and avoid the cost of shipping?

I like the Outboard equipped Geminis better than the ones that are equipped with inboards for sale drives. Sail drives are very difficult and expensive to maintain!

Slipping is kind of an issue. Some marinas have a hard and fast rule to charge extra for catamarans. Some charge based on the length and beam. For my 34 foot Gem, That translated into about a 15 foot beam. The same marina charged a different rate depending on who was behind the desk. I never learned predict what the cost was going to be.

I learned: advance and reserve a 34 x 14 Slip. But always got me the monohull rate until it came time to check in. Sometimes they looked out the window and changed the rate?

Good luck.

We owned a Gemini and agree the outboard powered version was way better.
The construction of the Gemini comes nowhere close to the quality of the Catalac, but the sailing ability far surpasses the Catalac.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac