Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 03:55   #1

Gemini 3400 vs Catalac 10m

We've spent 10yrs on our Gemini but it made more sense when switching our cruising venue to Europe to buy a boat there with the Euro down so much. (we have no interest in long ocean voyages on any small boat). We found a good deal on a Catalac 10m and have had it for a year, though it's been limited to local cruising/day sailing due to work conflicting. At this point, we good enough feel for the boats to compare them.

Both boats have a similar design intent with some key differences.

Hope this helps those looking.

Spoiler: While we are satisfied with both, if there had been a larger selection of Gemini's in Europe, we likely would have gone with one.

Review:

https://valhalla433.wordpress.com/20...s-catalac-10m/
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:28   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Gemini 3400 vs Catalac 10m

Thanks for the review(s). Though might I ask how the berths are with 2 adults in them? And by adults I mean a 6' guy & a tall gal, both of average build.
Also, how are the boats in waves with regard to bridgedeck slamming?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:43   #3

Length is fine and I'm 6'2" and a large guy by most standards. Interestingly both have an opening to storage at the foot and when I really stretch, I have been known to put the tips of my feet into it.

Both are side entry beds so the one further in has to climb over. This is a minor issue on the Catalac but not due to the design. We have particular sides of the bed and on the Catalac that means Tammy has to climb over me (I don't usually use the head at night).

With either boat consider a foot stool as the beds are 3-4' up. There is a small step on both but not very convenient. We have ones that double as a tool box.

If you read the review the Gemini width is better and we are quite comfortable for us. The Catalac is marginal width. It's OK but be prepared to cuddle whether you want to or not.

Keep in mind this is more of a direct comparison. I would still pick the Catalac over many other boats.
Old 13-10-2016, 05:29   #4

Bridge deck slamming is almost exclusively an issue if you try to go head into a short steep chop (maybe 2-4'). Bear off or run and it's a non issue.
Old 13-10-2016, 05:31   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Good to know, thanks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 08:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Great thread valhalla, I must say I was surprised you went fir the Catalac 10m! I have no experience with the Gemini 34 as out sailing, I have visured one for sake and actually lay down in the bed. I am 6"4' and 120kg, no fat, haha, and got no problem of space with my partner in doube berth, well she is not tall and 50kg. I am curioys to other conparisons between both cats, which have common history as you can find out on catamaransite.com! Do you have the two or three cylinder inboards?
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 10:14   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I hope people like the unbiased evaluation. Thanks!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 10:33   #8

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I own a Catalac 10m since last year and I sailed her from Turkey to Southern France and later, when the mast was unstepped, up the River Rhone and Saone.

We have not to forget that the Catalac Designs is almost 33 years old this of the copied Gemini was several times updated.
I think the bow design of the catalac is outdated, a steep would give a longer waterline and may improve the movement of the catalac. What I found not good is the support under deck of the lower shrouds by a stainless steel tube to the bulkhead with an angle under deck of about 135 degrees and entry to the bulkhead with about 45 degrees. This design gives a stronger pull to the bulkhead on my cat the bolts through the bulkhead and the stainless steel plate on that the tube is welded is slightly bended. I have to say that we had a very strong Meltemi when sailing from Rhodes to Cape Maleas.

But otherwise I'm very happy with the Catalac 10m. With the two inboard Diesels manouvring that cat is easy even in close quarters. One thing what is special on my Catalac is, that the seawater intakes for the cooling of the engines is not as usual through the saildrives but direct through the hulls. The system works well until now.

My Catalac 10M is one of the earliest 10Ms, comparing the pictures with the Catalac 10M built #35 what is for sale now on catamaransite.com I can see some improvements of the finish of the woodwork inside (doors, cabinets with doors).
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 00:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Great thread valhalla, I must say I was surprised you went fir the Catalac 10m! I have no experience with the Gemini 34 as out sailing, I have visured one for sake and actually lay down in the bed. I am 6"4' and 120kg, no fat, haha, and got no problem of space with my partner in doube berth, well she is not tall and 50kg. I am curioys to other conparisons between both cats, which have common history as you can find out on catamaransite.com! Do you have the two or three cylinder inboards?
The 2 cylinder engines which seem to be plenty.

While there is a historical relationship and they have some similarity in layout, there are key differences once you start using them.
Old 15-10-2016, 01:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The 2 cylinder engines which seem to be plenty.

While there is a historical relationship and they have some similarity in layout, there are key differences once you start using them.

I replaced the Yanmar 2 cylinder starboard with Volvo D1-30 mounted on old SD20 Yanmar saildrive just adapted the bellhousing.

I am very happy with that setup, when I motor I use new Volvo easily obtaining cruising speed of 8 knots in normal weather and

not battling against the current or the wind. My Yanmars 2 cyl I had setup with high rated Balnar 80 Amp alternators charging

with float regulator, but the Volvo from factory has 115Amp internal regulated alternator which charges even better.

The Volvo 3 cylinder 27hp power seems berfect for the Catalac 10m. I use port old Yanmar 2 cyl to support when needed.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac, gemini