Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 13:26   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Wharram Catamarrans advice sought for

CF junkies, I have had enough tri and cat experience to know that is the way for me. Used to fleet race on Santa Cruz in Long Beach Harbor for many years. Spent plenty of time diving the Channel islands off of Ventura in monohulls. But my wife would die of seasickness on a mono hull. We are west coast people so Mexico and PNW would be our traditional stomping grounds. But, ah, before it is too long past...and I feel the life slipping away...the Carib calls me softly in the musing moments between sleep and half dead.

Been on F27's and F-31's enough times for weeks at a time to realize what an excellent platform they are for coastal meanderings. Realize that you can sail around the world in a 14 foot open Dory if you have that desire and fate. But my wife is a great lady and so a certain level of comfort is needed. Mama not happy no one is happy sort of deal...Do not want to make her life miserable.

This brings me to "THE" question...I am curious about the James Wharram cats. The Tiki versus the Pahi....thing. It would just be her and I. We do not need a floating hotel. One toilet, water maker, double bunk, counter space for cook preparation, sink, and basic cold box. Don't need to do 20 knots to windward...smile.

Objective opinions sought for on how they sail. What are their weak points. Are they good sea boats in the sense of passage making? Is their freeboard a problem? Things like this...

Want to keep my price under 100K. Still not sure that a Farrier 31 is not the ticket for me. That trailer thing looks pretty good to windward at 60 mph on the back of my Chevy Cummins-Allison 1 ton. But the live aboard space is cramped...

But here is the dilemma...I retire in 2 more years. My wife is not that hot on the idea of extended periods of time on a boat. Gasp!!! So, I only really get one shot at getting this choice correct. Buy a trailerable Farrier design or a smaller Tri or Cat that is not charter style....it haunts me deeply. So, ideas solicited on the Wharram Cats as to their sea worthy nature...

So...educate me...I am all ears...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 14:53   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Wharram Catamarrans advice sought for

Part - A, I'd suggest visiting the Wharram site, & various associated Polynesian Catamaran voyaging associations (the latter's name may be off a touch, but there's usually several related links on Wharram's design site).

Part - B, If you're truly hot on the trailerable idea, it can be done with Wharram's, & a number of other catamarans. Like the spin off of one of Kurt Hughes's designs, the Cat2fold.com
Also, Kurt has a number of other of boats which are "demountable" www.multihulldesign.com . Ditto on Richard Woods Sailing Catamarans & a number of other designers Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaran and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft

But pretty much, you just need to keep the width of the components of the parts on the trailer to 10' or less, & you're good. And if you peruse Richard Woods's site, one of the gents on there quotes a general $ figure for building Woods's designs @ $15/lb to get one into the water, & $20/lb to get one built & ready to cruise (for self builds).
- Generally speaking, if you're looking at designs from different designers, & the boats use the same/similar materials, then pound for pound build costs will be similar. It's the accessories, & gleaming, posh, yacht finishes which run the prices up.

Also, you can get prebuilt hulls & kits for the (Woods) Eclipse (and others), Wharrams & other designs, via BoatSmith

Though with your stated budget, if you pay attention, you can pick up a decent used charter cat in need of a bit of TLC. Or a host of other pre-loved, full amenities, mid-sized catamarans. Ditto on pre-loved Wharram's, & Searunner (trimarans) - they can be found Cheap!
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 17:00   #3

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

You want a trailerable boat so you can transport the boat from pacific to atlantic over land?
Old 25-04-2015, 19:02   #4

trailerable really extends your stomping grounds. That being said...the weakness of trailerable is load capacity and size versus the might of King Neptune! I would love to buty a Chris White Atlantic Cat but i am sure wifey would notice the missing 400 K out of our common funds. She is sharp like that. smile
Old 25-04-2015, 19:11   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

CF member Solarbri has the only Cat2fold made and he mentioned that he might sell it. I think it's in Mexico.
Also consider the Contour 34 tri. The amas swing back for easy berthing. It is demountable for trailering as well. The big brother Contour 50 is demountable but you need a semi to haul that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447249_12.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	100944  
Old 25-04-2015, 19:19   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I couldn't resist posting the C50 on the big rig. Your wife would like it but it's $300K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contour 50 on the truck.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	100945  
Old 25-04-2015, 19:29   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Learned to hate trailer sailing after crewing for a year long race campaign on an F-31. Set up and tear down gets to be burdensome quikly (don't believe the promotional rubbish that you can set one up in 30 minutes...maybe if you trained to pit crew level). Great fun to sail though. Very uncomfortable and wet in heavier weather. Tearing down and trailering while tired after a long active weekend is a drag.

Ive sailed smaller Tikis and really enjoyed them, but tacking is not their strong suit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:45   #8

come on guys.....i need some experienced hands on Wharram cats...only Belizesailor made a short comment i'm all ears....not much between them either
Old 26-04-2015, 00:51   #9

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

Hi - well I own a Wharram Pahi 42 and would highly recommend Wharrams for seaworthiness! They are designed for simplicity, ease of build, and above all to be safe. So they are not fast upwind, and yes, pointing angle is not particularly good (but this also depends on the rig setup of course). We're based in the Baltic, so quite different sea conditions, but a Wharram would be ideal for your proposed areas. Generally they are not luxurious, but many are very comfortable down below, and as they don't have built up cabins between the hulls, there is a big deck or cockpits, ideal for warm weather.

A trailable Wharram (Tiki or Pahi 26 max?) will be quite small below decks, so I doubt this would fit your requirements, unless having the big deck tent is enough. You certinly don't need to go bigger than our Pahi 42 for a couple. We have 2 adults, 3 teenagers, + 3 big dogs on board!

Wharram Builders and Friends - A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design EnthusiastsThis is the best site to get good information about Wharram boats imo. Check out the Tiki 46 Peace IV for sale - I am sure this is one of the best Wharrams currently on the market.

Good luck, and hope to see you join the Wharram community!

Andy
captnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 05:22   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Post Re: Wharram Catamarrans advice sought for

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
i'm all ears....not much between them either
Maybe so, maybe not. Have you tried going to the Primary Source?
James Wharram Designs | Unique sailing catamarans, self-build and professional built boats of distinction..
Forums | James Wharram Designs
Polynesian Catamaran Association
James Wharram Designs - Community Pages - Community Pages<div style="margin-top: -95%;"><span style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 1.2em;"> <a style="color: #ffffff; text-decoration: underline;" href="http://www.wharram.com">Back to Wharram.com</a></
Wharram Builders and Friends - A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

And there are dozens of other; direct, & related sites on these designs.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=wharram...s=ds&form=QBLH
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Wharram...ds&FORM=SBRS02

It ain't like finding the information is tough. Especially given that if you actually go & look, Many, many of these other spots will Spoon Feed you info on Any & Every topic related to the boats. It's just a couple of clicks away, should you be so "bold".
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 05:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wharram Catamarrans advice sought for

I have owned a Tiki 21 and a Tiki 26.. would definitely take the Tiki route over the Pahi any day..
Get a decent sprayhood designed and you've an extra bunk at sea for the off watch crew and/or little galley for brews as you sail.
At anchor drop the hood and a dome tent fits nicely on the deck..
I love em...
The 21 is light enough for two to lift and carry one hull at a time from the trailer to the lauching trolleys for assembly.. had 13kts out of the 21 and 17 out of the 26... does freighter crews heads in as you overtake em...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Wish I could help ...... we have see several Wharram cats every year in the Indian Ocean and have never heard anything bad about them from their crews. The affordability issue is a major plus factor with these. We have seen from 28ft up to around 50ft. The last we saw, just recently, was being used to trade, with the owner carrying big US style fridges and washing machines around between the islands. Personally, I think they are great.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 09:26   #13

Pahi not really a trailer boat,
lots of length wasted in canue front and rear
double ender is for big following sea, not a trailer
FP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:24   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I've sailed a stretch Tiki 21 (23) and it is not a vessel I would load enough stuff aboard to cruise and the space in the interior was very cramped. A 26 might do it but in my point of view dismantling a boat to trailer it seems like a big pain. The one I sailed often was on a mooring ball. At my age just getting down to the boat and getting it ready to sail is becoming harder.

Corsair 31 or 27 are much easier to ready and trailer. You know them and you can make mods that would suit your needs better than the standard. Don't heavy them up too much though.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:30   #15
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I'm thinking easy trailering and comfy cruising are mutually exclusive.

Tags
wharram