Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 08:56   #1

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Thinking of an ASA sailing school

I'm thinking about taking the combination 101 / 103 class at https://marinasailing.com/Classes/Classes/AllCourses

I have the cash, no worries there, but what I don't have is time. I'm only off on Sundays and Wednesdays (usually for both but not always - sometimes I work 7 days a week for a few weeks straight 'cuz I don't have a life). The site says that classes start every weekend, but the reality is that they probably don't because there aren't enough people. With Covid, it's probably even less than that lately.

My question is if anyone knows if the 101 / 103 ASA classes require both days on the weekend or multiple days at any point in the curriculum? I know the "more advanced" classes are multi-day trips but I don't know if that's true for the beginner ones. I know I could call them, but others might have the same question some day.

Bonus question: What are your thoughts about joining their "marina club" and renting their boats to learn on? I'd skip the "first boat" step and in a couple of years get "the second boat". Yes it'd cost a little bit more but, like I said, I have the cash and the boats wouldn't have any prior owner surprises hidden anywhere for me to fix. Plus I don't need to pay for a survey or haul out! Might work out even, cost wise, that way.

Thoughts? Comments? Hate mail?
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 11:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Thinking of an ASA sailing school

We started 45 years ago by joining a club and rented 28 to 30 foot boats for the day or weekend. Cheapest way to own a boat by far and a great way to learn.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 13:09   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
My question is if anyone knows if the 101 / 103 ASA classes require both days on the weekend or multiple days at any point in the curriculum? I know the "more advanced" classes are multi-day trips but I don't know if that's true for the beginner ones.
There is nothing in the ASA 101/103 curriculum that requires multiple consecutive days. Different schools will have different schedules. If you are willing to pay a little extra for a private, rather than a group classes, there are definitely schools that will work with whatever schedule you have.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 14:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post
There is nothing in the ASA 101/103 curriculum that requires multiple consecutive days. Different schools will have different schedules. If you are willing to pay a little extra for a private, rather than a group classes, there are definitely schools that will work with whatever schedule you have.
There are only 2 ASA schools here, Marina Sailing and a "guy with a boat" who can sign off on the ASA certification.

The "guy with a boat" isn't doing any classes because of Covid. He's saying on his website that unless/until we can get test results within 3 days, he's not going to teach. And even then, he's going to require his students to take multiple tests and/or self isolate for the duration of the class to ensure that they're negative while going through the class. So, basically private instruction is out for the foreseeable future unless something changes in the medicine/scientific realm.

I haven't called Marina Sailing yet to find out because I'm waiting on you guys to give me your thoughts.
Old 24-09-2020, 14:29   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As posted, there is nothing that requires 101/103 to be consecutive days. However, if these are group classes then logistics for non-consecutive days would be a challenge. If private instruction, then nothing in the ASA standards prevents a school from offering non-consecutive days. Its totally up to the school.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 14:34   #6

Quote:
There are only 2 ASA schools here, Marina Sailing and a "guy with a boat" who can sign off on the ASA certificationThe "guy with a boat" isn't doing any classes because of Covid. He's saying on his website that unless/until we can get test results within 3 days, he's not going to teach. And even then, he's going to require his students to take multiple tests and/or self isolate for the duration of the class to ensure that they're negative while going through the class. So, basically private instruction is out for the foreseeable future unless something changes in the medicine/scientific realm.

I haven't called Marina Sailing yet to find out because I'm waiting on you guys to give me your thoughts.
The "guy with a boat" is almost certainly operating by processing certification requests thru an actual ASA affiliated school...since only an affiliated school can submit certification requests. This is explicitly forbbiden by ASA policies and could cost both the school and "the guy" their ASA credentials if discovered.

He may be a great instructor (or not), but just something to be aware of.
Old 24-09-2020, 14:40   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
He's saying on his website that unless/until we can get test results within 3 days, he's not going to teach. .
If you (or the OP) live in a state where it takes 3 days to obtain results, you have bigger problems than learning to sail.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 14:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
We started 45 years ago by joining a club and rented 28 to 30 foot boats for the day or weekend. Cheapest way to own a boat by far and a great way to learn.
+1. Sailing clubs are a great way to build experience without the hassles/expense of boat ownership. And, you get to sail a variety of boats.
Old 24-09-2020, 15:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If you (or the OP) live in a state where it takes 3 days to obtain results, you have bigger problems than learning to sail.
It's California. King Gavin is having the time of his life making all kinds of "decrees" on what we can and can't do.
Old 24-09-2020, 15:50   #10

Boat: 41' yawl
Thinking of an ASA sailing school

Quote:
It's California. King Gavin is having the time of his life making all kinds of "decrees" on what we can and can't do.

Educated societies trying to do right by each other look like authoritarianism to mouth breathing imbeciles who can’t fathom including other people in their decision making.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 15:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The "guy with a boat" is almost certainly operating by processing certification requests thru an actual ASA affiliated school...since only an affiliated school can submit certification requests. This is explicitly forbbiden by ASA policies and could cost both the school and "the guy" their ASA credentials if discovered.

He may be a great instructor (or not), but just something to be aware of.
He's also expensive compared to the school. I'd assume it'd be more one-on-one training but who really knows.

He does get good reviews from couples who want to day sail.

I'm seriously leaning toward the school. Probably going to call them and see what's what. I'm assuming that they're not really "open" due to covid restrictions so just doing a walk in may not work. I'll ask for a tour while I'm on the phone just to see.

Worst part is that eventually I'll have to buy some shorts and expose my hairy legs.
Old 25-09-2020, 03:59   #12

Hiya Rob,

Don't know if this will be helpful or not but at the Association of Marina Industries Conference this year (Ft. Lauderdale in January), I attended a seminar where the presentation was about how boat clubs (where the club owns/maintains a fleet of boats which members can sign out) are one of the quickest growing categories in boating/yachting.

Of course, the stats were before Covid, but the point of the seminar was that there's a demographic who wants to get out on the water, but has no time or inclination to maintain their own yacht. They want to be able to sign out a boat that is turn-key and once they're back on dock tie the boat up and walk away, leaving the boat club to sort out maintenance, etc.

These new type of clubs also provide training to their members (I'm supposing to meet insurance requirements.)

Anyway, this marina club you provided a link to sounds as if it operates on this model and would be worth looking into to see if that's how it is set up and if their model would fit your needs.

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:17   #13

I was a member of a similar club in San Diego for many years - Harbor Sailboats. Great program, clean - newer model boats. If money is available, and time is an issue - they may be a good choice, though a bit of a drive from your avatar location. I requested a special Fri-Sat individual class with a GF due to her schedule. They are real accommodating and pretty sure they would try to find you one of their instructors that will do it on split days. Quite possibly the program there in LA area would do the same.

As previously mentioned, these sailing clubs are a great way to learn, build experience, AND try out different boats to see what brands/models/features you like/don’t like. I would recommend it to everyone before you plunk down your savings on your own boat.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:40   #14

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Absolutely join the "marina club" and go sailing. Great way to learn. And with regard to consecutive days with ASA, our ASA training affiliate here is very flexible; I suspect you could work it out with them to go on days when you are off work.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:00   #15

Boat: Leopard 45

Many sailing clubs offer discounted classes to members. They usually have a variety of boats you can check out included with your membership fees. The boats you can check out often correspond with the level you have completed in their ASA school. Once you have completed the 103 bareboat class you can head off to the Caribbean and charter a larger boat than your club might have. This gives you the flexibility to test sail a variety of boats to determine the size and style you ultimately want to own.

I belonged to such a club for four years before buying my first boat. I took all the classes they offered and tested all the 20 boats in their fleet. Sometimes I think it would have better to have stayed with them rather than buying my own boat because it cost me half of what my own boat cost me now in moorage, insurance and repairs.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, sail, sailing, sailing school, school