Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2020, 20:08   #1

Hello From San Diego

Hi, Greetings from sunny San Diego I am new to this board. I have been sailing for about 2 years. My first adventure was a sail through the Guna Yala (San Blas Islands) Panama two years ago. I LOVED it. I have since taken basic sailing in San Diego. I am from Bermuda and have been around boats much of my life. My goal is to become a cruiser after I retire in 2 years. I am looking to get as much experience as I can and to find a berth on a boat or...?

I am not quite fluent in Spanish but can hold my own. I am a scuba certified to the basic level and have been scuba diving in Bermuda, Thailand, San Diego, and Catalina. I am a good snorkeler. I am far more interested in the natural history of a place and the people who live there than I am drinking but I do drink a little. I am very mellow, get along well with most everyone. Oh and I am a liberal.

I am the CEO of an organization and have no desire to be captain. I have had enough responsibility to last a lifetime. But I would make a good first mate.

My goal is to live on a boat, explore the nooks and crannies of this world from the water and learn as much as I can. I am not interested in sailing in icy cold water, so sailing in Norway is not for me, but the Med, Caribbean, Polynesia, Micronesia, Melanesia, etc would be right up my alley. The UK would be fine too, even though the water is cold.

Right now I am looking for people to sail with on weekends in San Diego. I have references as a sailor too. So if you would like to go for a sail in San Diego, or Ensenada or a bit north, give me a jingle so to speak. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello From San Diego

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'Mama.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:53   #3

Hello GordMay, Nice to hear from you. I think you are a bit farther north than I am. Tell me a little bit about you and your experience. Have a great day.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:47   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi swizzlemama.... lived aboard for many years in Sunroad marina on Harbor Island and ran a small charter business from my boat called The 91 day yacht club’ because much of my business consisted of driving power and sail from Southern CA to Ensenada for over ninety days then back to avoid the CA sales tax. The law has changed now but it was very lucrative back in the day! You will enjoySD! If you are looking for a berth, suggest you register with the ba ha ha cruising group who run from SD to Cabo every year. There is a marine supply store who is involved with the group where you can register or do it on line. Name of the shop escapes me at the moment. I believe the group leaves in November as soon as hurricane season ends. With your back ground and experience, you won’t have a problem getting a berth. Check out Ensenada while you are in n San Diego,,, it is a neat little Mexican town and less than 100 miles from the border! A trip out to Il Buffadora, south of town is worth the trip.
Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 15:59   #5

Hi Capitan Phil,

Thank you for your welcome and information. I have the Baja Ha-Ha squarely in my sights. I was just counting the vacation days I have left so I have enough to go in November. They have not yet made the forms life online yet, or I would have already signed up. I love Ensenada. I have been to La Bufadora several times and enjoy Puerto Nuevo and love La Fonda too. I have been snorkeling at Cabo Pulmo and when kids were little we drove to Mulage for camping. Anyway, all of your advice is most welcome. Thank you for your vote of confidence that I will find a berth on the Baja Ha-Ha. Fingers crossed. Thanks, r2
Old 11-03-2020, 18:23   #6

Boat: Catalina 22

Hi
Larryish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 19:47   #7

Hi Back at you. r2
Old 12-03-2020, 04:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi swizzlemama.... lived aboard for many years in Sunroad marina on Harbor Island and ran a small charter business from my boat called The 91 day yacht club’ because much of my business consisted of driving power and sail from Southern CA to Ensenada for over ninety days then back to avoid the CA sales tax. The law has changed now but it was very lucrative back in the day! You will enjoySD! If you are looking for a berth, suggest you register with the ba ha ha cruising group who run from SD to Cabo every year. There is a marine supply store who is involved with the group where you can register or do it on line. Name of the shop escapes me at the moment. I believe the group leaves in November as soon as hurricane season ends. With your back ground and experience, you won’t have a problem getting a berth. Check out Ensenada while you are in n San Diego,,, it is a neat little Mexican town and less than 100 miles from the border! A trip out to Il Buffadora, south of town is worth the trip.
Cheers, Capt Phil
Out of curiosity Phil, what are the California sales tax laws these days? I too used to deliver boats. Many nordhavn out of Dana Point north to avoid sales tax and get folks closer to PNW cruising, though some south too. I stopped in 2004 and moved out of California, but am curious to know the current laws.

I did the Baja Ha Ha I'm 2005 aboard a friend's trawler. We were one of four power boats in a fleet of 160. Nice way to go. 800 nms is a great way to seriously dip a toe in the water and meet folks in a safe, semi-group setting.

I've been spending too much time in Ensenada as I'm about a year into a major refit. Itching to slowly head south and home to Florida, but still another few months to go in Ensenada. Gotta sell a house, quit working (surprising difficult, especially given current economy) blah blah, blah.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:45   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Boat must be out of California for a year. Lots of other minor details to consider if you get serious. For example, you must prove you cruised it, not just stored it. If you keep a slip in San Diego they will argue you were not cruising.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 21:35   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, Swizzlemama. The place Phil, above, was referring to is Downwind Marine. Iirc, it is on Canon St., not too far from the large West Marine Store.

Ann

Tags
san diego