Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 21:25   #31

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5
Re: Bluewater Beneteau

Survey it, update where needed, and the limiting factor won't be the beneteau. but your skills as a Capt. I live in SE Asia and a fair amount of "production boats" often much smaller than the 40' make it here from the States. Personally, I would much rather trust newly engineered vs something 40+ years old that's had it share of beatings, YMMV.

here's a great vid of a beneteau first 30 singlehanded in a blow offshore. Handles superbly ... some good stuff 1:20 onward.

sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 21:39   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi abit late to the discussion and apologies in advance, haven't read all posts.

An alternative to the solent (not saying better) is to do away with the 140% and go to 100 %jib and add a code zero on a continuous line furler.

The code zero can be used upto approx 15k app, but then roller away and roll out the jib.

My boat has 135% which I found not adequate a number of times this year, I've purchased a code zero with everything I need to install it from Mack sails, I already have the 100% jib. Haven't fitted the setup yet.

I went this way over the solent based on it being easier to setup, no structural work, running back stays etc.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 21:53   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

And of course Benes can safely go around the world.

I always use this example. In 2013(?) two boats I cruised with left Asia for south Africa, one was beneteau 423 the other was Malo 46. The malo is the blue water boat right?

Well the beneteau got to south Africa safely and the Malo had major rudder problems and sunk 400nm from the Seychelles, the skipper was very experienced and did a fantastic job keeping the boat afloat until help arrived.

Is the Beneteau a better boat than the Malo? No, it's not from what I know, but my point is that things sometimes go wrong with boats and stuff happens.

I just crossed the Indian ocean in a Catalina 470, no problems. I see beneteau's, but jeaneau's etc all the time going around the world.

Most that have strong opinions regarding production boats not suitable for crossing oceans have uneducated prejudice.... talk to experienced people doing it. The sheer numbers of them out there suggest there's no problem, it's right up there with Cats flip, and don't go blue water in a cat. Had a couple of lagoons cross with me this year, lucky they didn't know they can't.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 18:41   #34

Checkout this log of 481 days to complete the World ARC 2014/2015
American Spirit II a Beneteau 40.
Google Search: American Spirit II World Cruising Club
Wish I could have taken mine......
beneteau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 02:31   #35

Boat: Ericson 32-200

I raced on a Bene 49 to Cuba. Great boat!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:13   #36

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinke View Post
Yes I have noticed the tendency to round up a little.

For the longer distance stuff and with regard to heavier condition exposure would an inner forstay with a staysail for example be a good idea to make her more suitable ?

Thanks

Doesn't the 40 have an babystay? I know my 38 does and it will go back on if I do a crossing. I have been told though they aren't for hanging a staysail on.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, Bluewater, water