Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 11:58   #1

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
27' Catalina sunk at the dock?

I'd been waiting to hear back from a broker for a few days and today he calls to tell me he knows little to nothing about the vessel I called about last week.

The next thing he says is that he must tell me that this vessel was sunk at the dock. It's owned by the marina and they've done a lot of work to it. He didn't say if it was before or after being sunk.

I'm thinking to myself, run. Don't look back, run. This boat is probably totally screwed up and will need everything replaced, especially wiring. The guy couldn't even say how long it was sunk, a day, week, months?

I'm wondering, because I know that I can likely ask for a much, much lower price, if anyone has had any experience with something like that. If so, I can see an engine swap, all new standing and running rigging, and a complete electrical overhaul. Am I far off the mark on this one? My gut is telling me to just keep looking and let this one go to somebody with a bigger bank account who can deal with whatever damage may be hidden. I'm in the Florida panhandle and the vessel is in Mobile, Alabama about 60 miles away.

I know without actually looking at things I will never have a clue and I am not sure that even a good survey will be able to pay for itself.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:10   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: 27' Catalina sunk at the dock?

You are looking to save money by buying a boat that's been sunken? Bwhahahahaha!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Replacing all electrical: wiring, switches, lights, outlets, the main panel is just the beginning. For the right price that's doable.

What worries me more, every bit of wood on the boat, all the floors, cabinets, structural bulkheads were soaked. If more than very briefly wet all of these will start delaminating, all screws corroding, glue joints failing, glass tabbing coming loose.

Not even for free unless you have a cheap way to dispose of the hull and just plan to salvage the winches, rigging and other usable parts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I recently saw an ad for a boat that had SUNK at the dock after Hurricane Matthew. They wanted $2,500 for it as I recall. The problem is that the boat is still UNDER WATER at the marina and the buyer is responsible for salvage (and removal) of the boat. Ha!

You should be PAID to take the boat that is still under the water.

For one that has been sunk before? I say run. There are too many good condition boats out there at low asking prices to spend time, money, and effort on a sunken (or recently sunk) boat. Every day I see boats that are listed for low prices such as less than $30K or less than $20K or even less than $10K (see some ongoing threads in the Monohull Forum about them).

Free Boats do exist. For a reason.
http://www.boneyardboats.com/Free_Boats/default.aspx
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:32   #5
Hdr

We shopped for six months before we settled on our Sandpiper Sharpe. Our gunk holding limited our choice.
One thing we learned, there are lot's of Catalinas out there, and cheap! Some super deals on eBay , BoatAngel charity.
Right now a in Houston a Freedom 33 has been for sale for six months. With a $10,000 asking price. Or if your handy, there is a Ericson 35 mark2 for sale for only $1,800 at the dock near me. Near Tarpon Springs, Florida. And the slip. rent is just $250.

Well anyway, don't despair. We seen boats with 2' of water in the boat. And the seller still expected top money!

Good luck!
Her
Hdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:50   #6

I figured it was likely to be doing a lot of repairs. I hadn't thought about wood delaminating. Sometimes these brokers consider having a few inches of water in them being sunk, so it's hard to say much about it. My guess it that it was something recent (within the last year).

Where it's located is brackish water (Might as well be salt) where the Alabama River meets Mobile Bay. I've seen what even a short period can do to electrical connections, switches, and wiring.

As for saving money buying a salvage,no. It's true there are enough Catalina's out there at reasonable prices. This one is a lot newer than many on the market I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's any better built. Some of those old boats are solid, hand laid, and tough as nails.

I am going to pass on this one. I can see me spending more in time and money rebuilding things than I would on a similar year that has been in a lake. I'd thought about heading up to the North East and looking for a good buy while things are being put on the hard. It's just a long trip both ways and sight-unseen you really don't know what it's going to be until you get there. Then having a survey done and stocking up for a trip back that will take several weeks is another expense. Buying more local is a safer option since I would have a chance to trouble shoot things close to home.

Either way, patience is prudent and I'm in no big hurry. There's some nice 30-35' vessels on the market here too, but they are a little dated. I've been watching what's been listed from New Orleans to Tallahassee for the past year.

I have to agree that people tend to think that their unimproved vessel that hasn't been hauled out in a decade is worth 20-30k around here too.
Old 24-10-2016, 18:35   #7

Boat: 1999 Lagoon 410 catamaran

I'm in love with sailing, and the one thing that allows me total joy while sailing is that I trust my boat. After a vessel has been underwater, water has taken the opportunity to find every crack and crevice to claim it's specific place. I'd run, there are lots of boats out there, and they haven't been pulled from the bottom!
RebeccaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 19:41   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Even non-sunk Catalina 27s are a dime a dozen. Now if it was some super-duper extra special classic... like a Columbia 29 perhaps, as just an example, then, yes, she'd be worth big bucks!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 19:42   #9

There was a Columbia 29 on Craigslist here. It may still be on there.
Old 24-10-2016, 19:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaM View Post
I'm in love with sailing, and the one thing that allows me total joy while sailing is that I trust my boat. After a vessel has been underwater, water has taken the opportunity to find every crack and crevice to claim it's specific place. I'd run, there are lots of boats out there, and they haven't been pulled from the bottom!
Welcome here Rebecca!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-10-2016, 19:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
See?? Now there you go!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-10-2016, 20:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found that listing I mentioned earlier.

Tartan 37
"Boat made it through Matthew and sunk in its slip last night. You will have to pay for salvage or float it yourself. Best offer takes it. ". Ad says they have the title.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5824188848.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 20:47   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Where's HERE???
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 20:50   #14

Along the Gulf Coast between New Orleans and Tallahassee. I tried to find it again earlier, but didn't see it (Columbia 29). It's very possible I saw that on EBay though. I'm in Pensacola.
Old 25-10-2016, 06:41   #15

Boat: 1999 Lagoon 410 catamaran

Thanks for the welcome Don C L, guess you could tell it was my first post! Decided to add my 2 cents worth! Can't get enough of my Cruiser's Forum!
RebeccaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, dock