Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 00:45   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F
Looking for advice for a first longer passage : Virginia - Bermuda - USVI

Hello,

We are preparing for our first longer passage and are somewhat nervous.

We have sailed our new (to us 18 yo) 42 Hallberg Rassy from Grenada to Chesapeake Bay last year and winterized her in Deltaville. We are planning to fly back to her in late March and after a week of preparation, weather permitting, are planning to leave for Bermuda in the first days of April. After couple days there we plan to go to USVI.

Let me drop some of questions we have right now.

1) should we report this trip to US Coast Guards?

2) Which sat phone should we get ? Iridium or Inmarsat? I think we would prefer regular phone to Iridium go as we mean it mostly as an emergency tool so would prefer something completely self standing and independent of other tools. We have Garmin Inreach but were disappointed when only about half of our messages were reaching destination so we want an additional tool (next to radio and EPIRB).

3) We have working AIS but our radar is not operational, I am planning to try to get it fixed, but do not feel it is crucial.

4) there will be three of us on the boat, all with decent experience including crewing offshore passages, shall we try to get forth person? Is it worth trying to find a buddy boat? Anyone going that way?

Thanks for any advice, comments, encouragements ;-)
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 03:42   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Looking for advice for a first longer passage : Virginia - Bermuda - USVI

I just did that trip two weeks ago, minus the Bermuda part.

I cleared out of the US in Norfolk and then went to the BVI, although my original plan was to sail to St. Martin, but an accident on day 4 caused me to change plans (I hurt my back in a fall and was singlehanding).

1. You don't need to clear out of the U.S. when leaving the country. It is possible to go to C&I (downtown Norfolk) and get a form stamped, which I did - but it is not necessary. Other countries know that boats arriving from the U.S. will usually not have outbound clearance papers.

2. Communication while underway is a great bonus. I have an Iridium as an emergency backup, but used my SSB and Pactor modem to exchange simple text e-mails, receive WEATHERFAX and NAVTEX for free and also to get GRIB files.
The best part was paying a nominal amount for the personalized weather routing by Chris Parker. Twice a day I would report position and conditions and would get recommendations. In this case, the usual adage of "get east as quickly as possible" didn't apply, he had me make as much south as possible to avoid the storms, and by the time I made it far south the weather patterns depressed the trades and I made all my easting in calm seas and little to no wind.

3. I used both radar and AIS. The radar alarm only went off for a squall, and I saw several cargo vessels on the AIS but during the whole trip only saw one other ship with my naked eye. I hope that your AIS is a transmitter as well, as I've seen cargo ships change their course when out CPA at sea was too close.

4. Personally I feel that once you leave land you are on your own. So travelling with a group of boats provides a false sense of security. And unless the boat is sailed at the same speed then it will be too far away should something happen.
With AIS and good weather routing/planning, watches need only be one person and with 3 people that would give you acceptable length of time on watch
Old 19-02-2020, 04:33   #3

Thank you so much. I am looking into Chris Parker forecasts and wonder if it is practical to use it using the short email capabilities offered by Iridium phone?
Old 19-02-2020, 04:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskudlarski View Post
Thank you so much. I am looking into Chris Parker forecasts and wonder if it is practical to use it using the short email capabilities offered by Iridium phone?
To answer this and comment on your original. Agree on clearing out, AIS and radar. I prefer to use a GO and back it up with an inReach. But as a delivery guy, all my stuff has to be portable.

Regarding the above quoted question, for folks just getting into passages Chris Parker is the ONLY way to go. He will do a full brief before you go, and then provide updates along the way. The updates can come through an inReach or email. My guidance is skip the phone and get a GO device.

This will make it easier to understand not only what info Chris is providing, but why.. Each day, or less, download GRIB files and get get guidance from Chris, as you guys agree. By downloading the GRIBs you can see what is forecast evolve. Or not.

You can get GRIBs on the cheap from an autoresponder (send email and get a free response) OR for a small fee from LuckGrib.com. OR, what I use, Predict Wind. PW is the only service that lets you get GRIBS with the full European model. The full-on PRO version includes weather routing based on default polars, or your own custom polars.

The HR 42 is an GREAT open ocean boat, she will serve you well. Just be sure to have and use jacklines, tethers and harnesses!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:19   #5

Boat: PDQ 44i

I wouldn't fix an old radar. Modern radar is so much more sensitive, gives better images, uses less power, and is very affordable. If you can find a modern set that is compatible with your present display, trade up.
Dittos on Chris Parker.
Bermuda optional.
Wouldn't want to do it without AIS.
A four-person watch schedule is twice as easy as three. We like to rotate one person off duty, taking turns every 4 days.That person can rest, prepare meals, take the helm for an hour here and there, and generally be useful, but getting a day's rest every four days makes a huge difference in the stamina of the crew. Try it; you will like it.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:35   #6

Boat: Tartan 37C

Absolutely file a float plan with the Coast Guard and please remember IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WEATHER
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:42   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Bermuda is a great stop from Chesapeake Bay and puts you on a better tack for the Virgins. It is also a fun place to visit. You will have to cross the Gulf Stream that can be either a piece of cake or rough ride depending on weather - it is good to watch the weather and pick your crossing point.

+1 on not clearing out of the USA. In Bermuda you have to clear in in St Georges. Bermuda is surrounded by reefs and you need to watch your approach. You also have to report in to Bermuda harbor radio 30 miles out. If you only have VHF you need to check in as soon as you can. St Georges cut is a narrow channel into the bay and you cannot go through while a cruise ship is is going through. Bermuda harbor radio will advise you. It is much easier than it sounds. Customs clearance is on Ordinance Island.

I almost wish I was going with you. It has been a long time and it is a fun stop.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 10:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Absolutely file a float plan with the Coast Guard and please remember IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WEATHER

Gee Capt. Anthony that must be something new.

Unless something changed USCG does NOT accept float plans. You file a float plan “with someone who will miss you” if you are late.

The way I teach it, “File your float plan with your spouse, girl friend or boyfriend. And for you divorces the person you pay alimony to. It should be someone who is responsible and will sound the alert if you do not reach your destination on time.”
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:15   #9

Quote:
Hello,

We are preparing for our first longer passage and are somewhat nervous.

We have sailed our new (to us 18 yo) 42 Hallberg Rassy from Grenada to Chesapeake Bay last year and winterized her in Deltaville. We are planning to fly back to her in late March and after a week of preparation, weather permitting, are planning to leave for Bermuda in the first days of April. After couple days there we plan to go to USVI.

Let me drop some of questions we have right now.

1) should we report this trip to US Coast Guards?

2) Which sat phone should we get ? Iridium or Inmarsat? I think we would prefer regular phone to Iridium go as we mean it mostly as an emergency tool so would prefer something completely self standing and independent of other tools. We have Garmin Inreach but were disappointed when only about half of our messages were reaching destination so we want an additional tool (next to radio and EPIRB).

3) We have working AIS but our radar is not operational, I am planning to try to get it fixed, but do not feel it is crucial.

4) there will be three of us on the boat, all with decent experience including crewing offshore passages, shall we try to get forth person? Is it worth trying to find a buddy boat? Anyone going that way?

Thanks for any advice, comments, encouragements ;-)
I am a professional delivery captain and have made the voyage to the Virgin (both us & B) several times. Generally, avoiding Bermuda and heading on a south easterly course to make use of the sw winds To 65degrees, whereby you change course and (right turn) and head due south ( now easterly winds) to islands. I have a iridium 9505, which I use to DAILY communicate with my professional weather router. I have also used an iridium GO, which uses you cell phone as a hot spot.
Please contact me and I’ll put you in touch with the weather router Capt Steve Murray 904 557 6932, steve@seaflycustom.com
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:45   #10

Boat: Leopard 40

I don't know why you want to go to Bermuda, but it you do, take lots of money, and be prepared to provision all your fresh vegetables there. You're not allow to bring them in.

I'd use a Go. Sat phones have a bad habit of not working when you need them. We still use SSB for weather. And do by weather. I can recommend Chris Parker.

Make sure your radar is working.

There is no checking out of the US.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 15:09   #11

Boat: Cal-40

So I left Deltaville and headed to the Eastern Caribbean. I left late in the season mid December and sailed solo. I had a friend give me weather updates to my InReach from his home in Virginia and this proved to be a very comforting thing.
I sailed east towards Bermuda but never did see the islands. Once I reached the 65 degree line I turned south towards the BVI’s.
About one week out near Bermuda I encountered a strong low pressure front with SE 35/40 kts. sustained for three days. But I sailed on under 2nd reef and although I was worried all worked out. Took me two weeks to sight the BVI’s.
Highlight was sailing through a large school of yellowfine tuna for days at a time. About each 30/45 minutes I spotted one jumping out of the water. Hooked a nice one on a cedar plug in about 20 minutes after putting the line in.
My destination was Martinique where I’m now.
Enjoy your adventure
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:30   #12

Thanks for advice, too late for us to change plans, we have change of crew happening there, tickets already purchased but we do worry about your warning

> be prepared to provision all your fresh vegetables there. You're not allow to bring them in.

Is it really the case that we cannot have fresh vegetable on the boat even if we will not take them from the boat? Is it seriously inspected and enforced? How about refrigerated/frozen preserved stuff?
Old 20-02-2020, 10:11   #13

Boat: Hylas 49

Done multiple races to Bermuda. No inspection done. Fill out the forms, pay the money at Customs in St George.

I would not enter St George at night if you have never done it.

Bermuda Radio will track you for at least 100 miles. Stay 3 miles north of the reefs or they will hail you. I'd hail them when you are 15 miles out (more or less) unless they hail you based on AIS first.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 10:13   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks for advice, too late for us to change plans, we have change of crew happening there, tickets already purchased but we do worry about your warning

> be prepared to provision all your fresh vegetables there. You're not allow to bring them in.
That was not my experience in Bermuda but the last time I visited was 2005 so a lot may have changed. You could check on noonsite.com or call Bermuda customs.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 15:54   #15

Boat: Tartan 37C

Snore, I stand corrected. To all others, I'm sorry for the bad information. That's what happens when you rush.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, passage