Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 14:54   #1

Upgrading from a Lagoon 410 for a bit more pace?

Im looking for another Cruiser, the 410 isnt the slowest off the mark cruising cat out there, but I would like something a bit more brisk while maintaining that indoor and outdoor apartment feeling, ie its pleasant to liveaboard.

I was thinking a Leopard 1160?

Bad idea?

The the 2004-2006 410 goes for between $200-$300k Aus$. The 1160 is about $350+ for the same year. All depends on condition of the yacht of course.
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Upgrading from a Lagoon 410 for a bit more pace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
Im looking for another Cruiser, the 410 isnt the slowest off the mark cruising cat out there, but I would like something a bit more brisk while maintaining that indoor and outdoor apartment feeling, ie its pleasant to liveaboard.

I was thinking a Leopard 1160?

Bad idea?

The the 2004-2006 410 goes for between $200-$300k Aus$. The 1160 is about $350+ for the same year. All depends on condition of the yacht of course.
Did you mean Seawind 1160?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 17:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Did you mean Seawind 1160?
Yeah sorry, I should have said.

Ive walked through one and I dont know what people are on about losing entertaining and a galley etc, its appears very similar and just as nice. Its a bit short bow rail to stern, but meh, still plenty for blue water cruising.

My only concern which is something I didnt look at doh, if all the sheets feed back to the cockpit like the lagoon, so it can be sailed single handed.
Old 08-01-2019, 17:34   #4

Lightwave is another brand I have heard are quick but havnt done a walk through. Ill charter one once I get what I feel is a good quick hull.
Old 08-01-2019, 18:16   #5

I have sailed the Seawind 1160 and was thoroughly unimpressed. I doubt it's any more "brisk" than your Lagoon 410. I would keep the boat you have.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 18:51   #6

Well thats good advice. I was told it was a pacier hull but if not, no point changing what I already know. I do believe it has more water storage. Ill have to check that out. They came with all the goodies like water converter etc.
Old 08-01-2019, 18:54   #7

Yep Lagoon 410 390 litres

Seawind 1160 a whopping 700 litres.

That might not many much to some people but I like to get the salt off my gear while under way. Compressors are the work of God. lol.

Its amazing these days, unlimited water, unlimited scuba (although I mostly spearfish, which means freediving suit), unlimited power. And back up systems.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Don't , for even a second, think that lines led to the cockpit defines whether a boat is easily single-handed or not!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:24   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Don't , for even a second, think that lines led to the cockpit defines whether a boat is easily single-handed or not!

True dat!

I’ve had better luck singlehanding without the clutter in the cockpit.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
haha I dont, most of the cats also rely on motors, which to me is a potential failure.

I think the 1160 is quicker, but they are so very similar, the 1160 doors can open out more giving more indoor outdoor flow, but I like how the Lagoon you dont have stairs to the stove.

If I want speed I think Im going to have to go back to monohulls.

is there a compromise in mono hulls where some you arent always on list/lean when under way but sail a bit faster than a cat?

I was thinking something like a Jeanneau 42D perhaps?

Ill ask in monos as well.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:33   #11

Boat: Asia Catamarans Stealth13 13 metres

I would recommend a Stealth catamaran designed by Alan Carwardine & built by Asia Catamarans.
Carbon - Epoxy with centreboards, galley up, indoor outdoor set up like the Seawind, but sails like a real sailing boat.👍
Phantom v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 18:39   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I had a Jeanneau 42ds before my Beneteau Sense 50 which is being replaced by a Saona. I've done a lot of research on quickness, although all three are cruisers first. I raced the Jeanneau quite a bit in PHRF offshore races. It rates about the same as the other 42 production boats (Hunters, Catalina, Beneteau) and seemed to race to that rating (or I'm just average is another explanation). I loved the Jeanneau 42. Its only drawback was a bit of a tendency to loose rudder control and round up if you didn't stay on the main. The Sense 50 blows the doors of the Jeanneau, but has a much longer waterline. I've rallied against lots of Catamarans the last three years in the Sense and except for a well sailed Leopard 48, none of the cruising cats finished each leg within hours of us. I would guess, however, that a well equipped, well sailed Lagoon of a similar length would be competitive with the Jeanneau.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:11   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Check out the Bali 4.3. The garage door design is awesome and allows the need for only one settee unlike most cats that have two (one in the rear cockpit area and the other inside the salon). This is because the salon can be fully enclosed when the rear door down and the side windows closed or an open feeling when the garage door is up and side windows open. Since you only have one settee this allows for more space in the kitchen area. There is also a huge pass through window allowing for air flow fore and aft. It has a full size fridge and the staterooms are also a nice size. The foredeck is great because it doesn't have the normal trampolines. The deck is fully closed with a huge seating area. There are huge scuppers to allow any water that washes over to drain within 1 minute. We have one next to us at our dock and have been aboard.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 20:31   #14

Thanks all. Im a fan of the cocpit sette and the indoor one, they are used for different reasons but the indoor outdoor flow makes them fantastic party boats, along with extra berths. The big thing is weight and performance orientation, ie daggers etc. If you can cut a 20 day trip down to 14 it certainly can be worth it. they sail on top of the water vs the lagoon that pushes through it. you can sail much less sail area and get the same speed and they are better in light winds like a mono.
Old 10-01-2019, 23:47   #15

Boat: Custom Catamaran

What about the Bav Open 40? Open design and reputed to be pretty quick. Not sure on AUD price tho....

Otherwise, there’s a number of Crowther designs out there that are greased lightning! This one in particular:

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...ther-42/220967
N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon