Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59   #1

Boat: Queenship 68-MY
San Diego to San Francisco

I looking for any help and suggestions for talking my 65 foot motor yacht from San Diego to San Francisco around end of Sept. I have plenty of fuel range and have done trips to Mexico. Have never traveled north of Santa Barb so looking for any help that would make the trip better.
gunnymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 22:29   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: San Diego to San Francisco

Just find a calm weather window and good sea state, then stay out in 100 feet of water to avoid kelp. Perhaps do it in one big hop or take an overnighter in Monterey Bay. My guess is that it would take two, 24-hour days in your vessel in calm seas. Mind the entry and time under the Golden Gate. You don't want to cut corners near Ocean Beach or the South Tower on big swell days. Best to also take that approach during the day. It is likely to be foggy in September and it's a little freaky there to have no visibility in the fog at night.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 23:47   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: San Diego to San Francisco

Take lots of diesel, it's a motor boat bash. Be careful that time of year in the Santa Barabara channel - can get particularly nasty there. As said earlier, watch the windows carefully and don't be on a deadline and you will be fine.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, san francisco