Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 06:48   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
pirate Long-Term Crewing and Accommodation Available

So I thought I would try this and see what kind of response I get.

I am posting this because I thought that some of you might be struggling, working online, not making enough to live on, but also be up for an adventure. Here you can work online and stay on the ship for cheaper than you can live in an apartment, and have time to learn the skills you will need to sail across the Atlantic. I am also or struggling, hence this offer.

Our ship is a 36' (11m) steel-hulled Chinese Junk-Rigged sailboat, anchored in Mindelo Bay, Cape Verde. My plan is to sail for French Guiana after mid-November this year. This crew offer is also for accommodation aboard from now up until at least January/February next year.

Your berth will be the V-berth, which is the nicest on the ship, see pics. There is enough power if it is not cloudy (which it rarely is) to use a relatively power efficient laptop (i.e. Under 3amps) for most of the day, and phones/tablets as much as you like. You berth has 2 USB sockets and a 12v cigarette-lighter style socket – you will need a car charger plug for your laptop.

Mobile internet here is pretty fast, 1mb/s+, and costs $12 for 8gb. I don't require any help on the ship, but if you want to learn some new skills you are welcome to help. I am skilled in sailmaking, marine diesel maintenance and repair, freediving, spearfishing, hand-tool-joinery, cooking (various types), metalworking, 12v electrical system, wind/solar-power systems, net making, two-component marine paint and epoxy systems, rope and knot work, and of course sailing and more.

I am happy to write you a letter of merit on any of the skills learned, which can help you get paid crew positions in the future. Additionally, if you are looking to get your RYA Yachtmaster or equivalent qualifications, the sail-miles you will gain on the passage is enough to meet the minimum needed to take the test. Although our rig is different to a standard Bermudan rig, I have experience sailing both, and can explain the differences.

Accommodation costs are 300euros a month including even meals and breakfast or 250euros a month if you just want breakfast. Transport to land is via two-person kayak, although it only needs one person to row it. I work all day long on the ship, so what you do with your time is up to you. My friend at the nautical club gives 20% discount on food n drink to me and my crew, they have good wi-fi, and cheap drinks and food. I'm cooking, so you're doing the washing up :P Apart from that, I just ask that you clean up any mess you make. I would maybe consider a couple, at 50 euro less than the cost for 2 people. We can make other arrangements as needed, such as splitting the cost of laundry etc.

Smoking is fine, but not in your berth, if you don't smoke, don't worry, the air passes through your berth first, so it is always fresh. No day-drinkers please! Vegetarian cooking is not an option, sorry, I am a 200lb sailor and need calories and protein, and am not going to cook two separate meals. The ship has life-jackets (although not the comfortable kind that you can wear all the time), jacklines, harnesses and a life raft. There is no EPIRB, but feel free to bring your own (someone who owns a boat may lend you theirs) if it makes you feel better. At sea we wear a harness attached to jacklines at all times on deck and in the cockpit, except if we are literally becalmed. Life-jackets optional unless the weather is rough.

The trip to French Guiana is about 2000 nautical miles, and should take around 15-20 days. If you're interested, message me, and we can arrange a video call. The final recruitment choice is mine, of course, but preference will be given to whomever can arrive here soonest. Please feel free to ask general questions on this post and I will answer them as best as possible.

It is highly likely that you can find passage on another ship once we reach French Guiana, if you decide that you don't want the adventure to stop. You'll have at least a couple of months to look, and I can help.

Cheers,

Captain J.P. Black
Old 19-06-2020, 12:45   #2

Re: Long-Term Crewing and Accommodation Available

Me interesa
Old 19-06-2020, 13:26   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Not wanting to put a downer on your plan, but currently people might struggle to get flights to the Cape Verdes at any price? Even if/when flights are going to CV, back in 2012/13 whilst they were regular/reasonably priced to Sal & Boa Vista, they were somewhat convoluted and very expensive to reach Mindelo on Sao Pedro.
Additionally, if you're looking to offload your crew in French Guiana, they'll probably need to hold EU passports; bear in mind, that a British holder may not be able to get off in FG by the time you arrive there.
Old 21-06-2020, 10:55   #4

I first saw this when it was first posted, and thought, 'Just what I am looking for.' Then thought maybe I should think things through a bit before responding. Anyway, I am new to the Forum, signed up just to respond to you, and composed a more detailed response than I feel is appropriate for posting here. Is there a private form of contact? Can I just post my email for you to respond to?
Old 21-06-2020, 16:09   #5

Nice post! sounds super interesting shoot me a message or email me! young 21 year old looking to put more miles under my belt.
Old 22-06-2020, 03:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGB View Post
I first saw this when it was first posted, and thought, 'Just what I am looking for.' Then thought maybe I should think things through a bit before responding. Anyway, I am new to the Forum, signed up just to respond to you, and composed a more detailed response than I feel is appropriate for posting here. Is there a private form of contact? Can I just post my email for you to respond to?
Ralph,
Just click on Captn Black's name and use the small arrow to "Send Private Message" .

LittleWing77
Old 27-06-2020, 18:49   #7

Hi Captn, Know anyone going to Cape Verde from Florida?
Old 06-07-2020, 10:22   #8

Hi Captain Black

I am an old sailor 61yrs old, young at heart, Englishman. I have sailed since I was a child. The North Sea a couple of times. The Atlantic once (from CV to Brazil funnily enough) and numerous RORC cross channel races. I have my Yachtmaster theory but did not have enough miles logged to take the practical 🤷

I am an ex rugby player and adventurer. In my resume I have the English Channel (swam as part of a relay) Cape Epic (800km mountain bike race) Mongolian Derby (1,000km horse race) and a good dinner guest

Google Paul Chew Adventurer (you have to add adventurer or you get a load of Chinese Dentist)

Your idea to spend a few months in Cape Verde Islands followed by a trip across the Atlantic does very much appeal.

I am English; British passport but presently in South Africa for the crisis.

If your interest in chatting to discuss this further I can be contacted on
+27 (0)76 859 3955 or email me paul_chew@hotmail.com

Look forward to hearing from you

Paul Chew
Old 24-07-2020, 15:33   #9

Interested and I have a very open calendar currently.
Let me know if you would like to set up a video chat. It looks like you aren't receiving PMs currently.
Cheers-JLG
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, crewing