Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 11:57   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
San Diego to Catalina

I am considering a sail to Catalina later in the week. I may opt for something shorter like Oside, Dana Point, Marina Del Rey depending on forecast and work schedule but, at this point my work schedule may allow a 3 - 4 trip.

My experience thus far only goes as far as SD Bay and 3 or so miles off Point Loma in typical San Diego weather to what I would terms as lesser small craft advisory conditions.

The high pressure this week is forecast to peak Wednesday. Thursday looks to be a great day on Catalina per Predict Wind, so does Friday. Wednesday could afford some offshore winds with possible ~ beam reach points of sail while heading heading toward Catalina ie. possibly be able to sail vs motor for some segments where the coastal slopes funnel the winds into the coastal waters.

While I have experience dealing with Santa Ana winds in regarding to flying hot-air balloons for 28 years over So Cal's coastal slopes I don't have any experience in how they manifest offshore. I am relying on Predict Wind's modeling to show this effect Our typical analysis of the Santa Ana winds for ballooning would generally involve NOAA discussions on the timing of - origin, building and dissipation of the pressure gradient from (for example) Tonapah to San Diego - the greater the gradient... the stronger the event. NOAA as of yet has not included specifics on the forecast of this weeks event. But, that is where Predict Wind's modeling seems helpful.

Looking at PW's wind and wave height modeling for the week it indicates a relatively benign event in terms of coastal sailing (do you agree?). In fact, in my limited view it would appear to provide favorable conditions for the trip out to Catalina on Wednesday morning. I do question what the effect of offshore winds has on sea state, ie opposing wind and wave direction = choppy or steep waves on the normal NW - W swell?

What do you think? I may doing this solo on my Pacific Seacraft 37' with the plan to grab a mooring ball at Emerald Bay or Little Harbor depending on conditions.
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 12:59   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: San Diego to Catalina

Generally a benign trip. If Santa Anna forecast forget it. Only Cat Harbor safe in a Santa Anna. Otherwise go for it. Emerald is a long day so unless wind perfect plan on motoring.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 13:57   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

I did the trip several times when living in San Diego. Frankly if you are thinking about only 3 days plan on a lot of motoring and very little time spent at a mooring or on shore in Catalina. As you say you are new to this, I would instead plan a trip up to Oceanside and/or Dana Point. Dana Point has (at least used to) nice short-term free anchorage area inside harbor. Another longer distance option is Newport harbor, with nice moorings and city docks available for shot stay. Actually, for 1st time trip just go up and anchor overnight in Mission Bay Mariner's Cove and sail back the next day to San Diego. Even reaching Oceanside by sailing is a long day. I would plan on doing Catalina after checking out closer options first, and with having at least 5 days so you can enjoy the trip.

In Santa Ana conditions off shore winds can be very gusty, and all the normally protected East side anchorages on Catalina are exposed to the winds and waves. Forget Catalina during Santa Anas.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 14:07   #4

Agreed. I do not want to find myself visiting Luau Larry's by boat. I do wonder about the viability of having a safe and comfortable trip out on a day when the offshore winds are not forecast to reach out as far as Catalina ie dissipating offshore winds. In general... is the sea state crap in the areas affected by offshore winds? It may be too general of question but, I'm curious as to direct experience of the passage during Santa Ana winds (of mild to moderate strength) ~ 10 - 20kts offshore and what it effect they have on W NW swells and overall sea state. Thx.
Old 22-02-2020, 14:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 387

Generally benign, generally lots of motoring.

SD -> Catalina isn't really that much further than to Newport and it's a much nicer destination.

"Serious" Santa Ana's mean you've got to duck around the backside of the island, only spot out is Cat Harbor. Do not go to Catalina in serious Santa Ana conditions. A bit offshore until 5 miles or so out will be fine. Howlin in the 30's right at the island? That's amazingly dangerous on the front side if so. Weather looks nice though, don't see any SantaAna's in the forecasts I looked at for next week. Looks like a stable high, and typical light airs in the AM going into slightly breezy afternoons.

Little Harbor is tough, and I surely wouldn't try to go there alone. First time? Just go somewhere on the front side. Avalon, Whites, Two Harbors, etc...

Dana point still does have a nice anchorage by the Marine Institute. Anchoring also permitted by the bait barge on the east end, but it's tight and not very picturesque. (It's by a bait barge...) Guest slips almost always available too, but $$$$.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 15:42   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Agree with all the comments. I emphasize don't mess with Santa Annas. Winds can top 50 knots when forecast 10-15. Seas are seldom a problem unless there has been a storm for a couple days before. Plan on it taking an hour longer going up (motoring) than motoring back due to currents. As a post said you will motor most of the way, both directions. I love Oceanside as a destination. It is close enough you can get some sailing in to get there. Having said that, Catalina is the closest thing in Southern California to an offshore destination. I agree with the post that three days may be too short, but if you can stretch to 4 or 5 I'd do it.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:33   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Other posts gave all good info. Avoid Newport as fees for mooring are crazy high and as I recall there is no anchorage.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:48   #8

Then there is this... I suppose the formula for not needing previous white water, drop-in, breakers experience in Oside is timing? Like don't bother stopping if there are breaking swells at the harbor entrance. I would rather get my helm experience with breaking waves somewhere with no jetty around.

https://youtu.be/4wvDYy-yicQ
Old 23-02-2020, 11:57   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

There's almost always a "swell" across Oside entrance but only rarely do they break such that the harbor must be closed. MDR and Mission Beach can also have entrance problems in similar conditions. Dana Point never has breaking waves across the entrance because it faces due East.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, san diego