Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 11:35   #1

Whipper Snapper from Texas

Hi all,

My name is Sean. I just wanted to introduce myself as a somewhat veteran boater but new sailor. I acquired a 1984 Lancer 45 motor sailor about a year and a half ago and have been working on her since. It sat for 10 years never hauled out and never started for 5. To say the least after about 3 straight months of working on the engines, we got her fired up and finally hauled out. Every bronze piece on the bottom and inside had to be replaced due to electrolysis. Many many dollars later, she's now mechanically sound and I have started on the cosmetics. I have a wife and two boys and plan to use this regularly along the Gulf Coast as I never grew up with this opportunity and want my boys to learn and enjoy the water as much as I do. I look forward to learning from you guys and gals on here.

SP
spav350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:29   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Whipper Snapper from Texas

Hi Sean, Welcome aboard. I bought a 1980 Lancer 44' Motor Sailor in La Paz, Baja Ca Sur
Last year. It had sat for a few years and badly needed lots of TLC. I brought it up to San Pedro, Ca. where it's now docked. I just got home from working on the boat for a couple of days. Seems like there's always more to do. If you want to P.M. me We can compare notes and boats. I put about 1200 miles on mine and am very impressed with how solid they are.
I did lots to the engines to make them run cooler and not overheat. Now I'm starting to get into the electrical systems. Much more to do.
Diesel Bill
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:53   #3

Thanks Diesel Bill. What engines do you have? I have twin Perkins ST6.3544M's in mine. They run great and don't have any issues overheating yet. However I had to buy all new after/oil coolers for mine since they sat way too long. New water pumps, thermostats, raw water pumps, everything. Even a front timing cover was ate up too far to repair. I'm dealing with years of dead algae and old water in my fuel tank right now. We drained it to empty but am still getting junk every now and then. Trying to polish the fuel the best I can without doing anything else. Getting better every time i do it. Pretty close to satisfactory where I don't need to mess with it anymore. I am also replacing my compression post and cabin sole due to a water leak that was never addressed. Too much going on at once but am always at a stand still.
Old 22-03-2017, 13:51   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Sean, My Lancer has dual Perkins 4-346M 4 cylinder engines. They had plugged up tubes in the heat exchangers and the exhaust manifolds were rotted out and leaked salt water from the freeze plugs. The cast iron holding the freeze plugs was wasted away and JB weld only slowed but not stopped the leaking. I recently installed 2 new 316 stainless manifolds and matching stainless elbows. Acid cleaned both engine cooling systems , Rodded out both heat exchangers. New t-stats and impellors. Installed new stainless steering cables and did the bottom while in Mex. Running both engines at 1450 RPM gave me 6 Knots OTB true speed at 3/4 gal burn per engine or 1 1/2 gal total.
So far no issues with fuel tank (no water) New filters before leaving Mex. and no plugging.
Have Velvet Drive trans w/ 2.93 reductions and 20 inch Luk feathering props. Can turn boat in it's own length at slow idle. set up for single handing. That's why I bought as well as nice dry pilot house. So far no regrets except high docking prices is San Pedro compared to La paz.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 03:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sean.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 04:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whipper Snapper from Texas

Welcome to CF Sean..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:43   #7

Thank yall. Have a good weekend.

Tags
texas