Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 15:39   #1

Boat: Cherubini 33
Yucatan to Texas

Hi all,

I have scrolled through a lot of info on these pages and seen some stuff that sort of addresses this route but nothing comprehensive.

Thinking of crossing from Miami-Cuba-Yucatan and returning via the east coast of Mexico. this seems to me to be an obvious cruiser route and yet very little is written on the east coast of Mexico.

If you did not want to just get back as quickly as possible, what are the pros and cons of sailing to Veracruz and Tampico on the way back north?

I get the oil rig thing, but I think it must be possible to avoid these behemoths, given that I have managed (so far) to avoid commercial shipping in the Straits of Florida.

I get that some people just do not like Mexico or the Mexican way of life, and I get that it can be dangerous, but that is (surely) mostly on land and 20+ years of sputtering respectful Spanglish has gotten me through many other areas in Mexico without serious problems, so I am not really looking for the kind of advice that tells me how iffy the whole place is.

Cortez did it, and although he was an infinitely better sailor than I am, he did not have a Yanmar.......Can it be done? Has anybody done it recently?

Thanks very much for any pointers or experience
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 15:56   #2

Re: Yucatan to Texas

About our Westsail 32 Sundowner | Sundowner Sails Again
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 16:00   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

yucatancruisingguide.com may be of some help.
Old 16-11-2016, 17:53   #4

There is not a problem with this plan. Just look at the loop current and make plans accordingly. Right now there is a counter clock wise rotation along the coast that will need to be avoided
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:18   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
There is not a problem with this plan. Just look at the loop current and make plans accordingly. Right now there is a counter clock wise rotation along the coast that will need to be avoided
+1. The Loop Current is highly variable both in location and speed. Ive run into it about 160 miles S of Mobile! (but thats very unusual).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:21   #6

I dont think most skip the Mexican GOM coast, because of any anti-Mexican sentiment, but simply because it is well off the rhumb line and it is heavy industrialized (oil industry). There is in fact a Tampa Bay to Veracruz race.
Old 17-11-2016, 06:45   #7

Boat: Shopping

While some of the oilfield facilities are well lit and easily avoided behemoths, many are small, long abandoned and unlit. Sometimes little more than a bit of steel sticking out of the water. Much of the old junk is in shallower water. Don't be sleepy when you get to the Texas coast.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
While some of the oilfield facilities are well lit and easily avoided behemoths, many are small, long abandoned and unlit. Sometimes little more than a bit of steel sticking out of the water. Much of the old junk is in shallower water. Don't be sleepy when you get to the Texas coast.
Yah, I sailed past about 6' of large diameter pipe sticking out of water at night once. Didn't notice it until we were abeam of it...that'll wake you up on watch! Unlit, unmarked, uncharted.

Also, many of the production platforms are daisy chained off of one main platform with a genset for electricity...and thus lights. Had a whole cluster of them go dark one night as we approached...good thing it was a clear night.

I expect the Mexican GOM coast is similar, but have not sailed it.

Tags
texas, yucatan