Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 14:35   #61

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Texas or Florida better living abroad?

My OP:

"My wife is from Philippines and we will probably go there after 5-7 years for a while. Might sail there on our boat.

Which state is better living abroad?"

Communication fail somehow in this thread. Thought I was clear. Don't know how I can be more clear. Should not have used word "Abroad" obviously. Other than that...????
Old 29-09-2020, 14:50   #62

FL over Texas for sure, especially if living aboard. Not sure if you are living abroad. A lot more sailing options in Fl.

Old 29-09-2020, 14:51   #63
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
My OP:
"My wife is from Philippines and we will probably go there after 5-7 years for a while. Might sail there on our boat.
Which state is better living abroad?"
Communication fail somehow in this thread. Thought I was clear. Don't know how I can be more clear. Should not have used word "Abroad" obviously. Other than that...????
No, terribly sorry but I did not find you clear. Per chance are you asking "which state is better in which to maintain residence while living abroad? " Now that I can get my feeble mind around. A thousand pardons for the misunderstanding.
Old 29-09-2020, 20:06   #64

I think I confused everyone using the word "abroad" which is one letter different from "aboard".
Old 30-09-2020, 05:28   #65

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I hope OP doesn't mind my jumping this thread, as it's very close to our question on residency in the next few years.

We've visited FL several times looking for locations, but have wondered what TX and LA might offer.

Here's our plan/ desires:
1. Condo on the water, nothing exotic, but possibly with a dock for the boat

2. Coastal cruising, perhaps Carib, but focus on 3-5 day trips at anchor with good scenery, safe harbors, good swimming, etc.

3. Small town / laid back atmosphere. We really enjoyed Tarpon Springs and Punta Gorda area; Fort Meyers and Sanibel etc are too pretentious for us; Clearwater area is nice, but getting very commercial & touristy. Marathon Key is neat, I wonder though if we'd get tired of it. We've heard good things about Stuart, but haven't been there. Suggestions for similar places to what we like but in TX? Even LA?

4. Low crime/ security of mind. I want to leave the windows and doors open, like mine are now. Even though we live in NY, we're far from the cesspool of NYC and urban drugs and crime. I'm fine if my neighbors are high school drop outs, and if my neighbors carry AR15s. We're also not afraid of spiders, snakes, scorpions, bats, sharks, etc so don't care about the fauna.

5. Low cost of living: we'll be living on retirement funds, so want low property taxes, low dockage expenses (if the boat has to be in a marina), etc.

6. Storm avoidance/ survivability: OK, I know this is stupid asking about coastal FL and TX, but my concern is buying a place and having a 40' sailboat and getting creamed. Maybe it's just my perception, but Clearwater seems to have had a good track record, Galveston seems to get crushed every few years. I hear Padre Island and I think total destruction of everything we worked for. Correct me, educate me, whatever.

Again, my apologies to OP if I've derailed your thread, and thanks to those who already have, and will, provide appropriate, logical input.
Old 30-09-2020, 06:46   #66

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I hope OP doesn't mind my jumping this thread, as it's very close to our question on residency in the next few years.

Again, my apologies to OP if I've derailed your thread, and thanks to those who already have, and will, provide appropriate, logical input.
I have some thoughts and info on Texas. But I am not going to pile on to OP's already derailed-somewhat thread, by getting further off what he/she is asking.

Respectfully suggest that you start your own thread. It's actually very easy. Cut and paste.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:44   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

We've visited FL several times looking for locations, but have wondered what TX and LA might offer.

Here's our plan/ desires:
1. Condo on the water, nothing exotic, but possibly with a dock for the boat

2. Coastal cruising, perhaps Carib, but focus on 3-5 day trips at anchor with good scenery, safe harbors, good swimming, etc.

3. Small town / laid back atmosphere. We really enjoyed Tarpon Springs and Punta Gorda area; Fort Meyers and Sanibel etc are too pretentious for us; Clearwater area is nice, but getting very commercial & touristy. Marathon Key is neat, I wonder though if we'd get tired of it. We've heard good things about Stuart, but haven't been there. Suggestions for similar places to what we like but in TX? Even LA?

4. Low crime/ security of mind. I want to leave the windows and doors open, like mine are now. Even though we live in NY, we're far from the cesspool of NYC and urban drugs and crime. I'm fine if my neighbors are high school drop outs, and if my neighbors carry AR15s. We're also not afraid of spiders, snakes, scorpions, bats, sharks, etc so don't care about the fauna.

5. Low cost of living: we'll be living on retirement funds, so want low property taxes, low dockage expenses (if the boat has to be in a marina), etc.

6. Storm avoidance/ survivability: OK, I know this is stupid asking about coastal FL and TX, but my concern is buying a place and having a 40' sailboat and getting creamed. Maybe it's just my perception, but Clearwater seems to have had a good track record, Galveston seems to get crushed every few years. I hear Padre Island and I think total destruction of everything we worked for. Correct me, educate me, whatever.

Well OP what do you think? Should we respond to this post, which is at least relevant, or should be start a new thread?
Old 02-10-2020, 07:18   #68

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack2465 View Post
Been to Texas quite a bit never saw people shopping with assault rifles. Crime is worse in FL but I suppose if people there start shopping with assault rifles stepped on it would go down. If you don't like guns don't get one duh
being a vet, knowing all about firefights, the gun nuts in this country are the same as those you see on television in Iraq, excited and shooting their guns in the air and shouting some form of anti somethings. brings one to ask this simple question. in the case of one black man walking down the sidewalk toward a white guy both open carrying weapons and eyeing each other, who draws first? both sighting self defense. the gun nuts claim it is not safe anymore and they need guns for self defense as the other guys have guns too. Do you like living in this environment? thirty years ago, this was not even considered. only in America can we screw up this bad. Even in the wild west back in the 1700 hundreds, laws were past to check in your guns at the sheriffs office before going to town. it takes two to have a fight. guns settle that permanently . I hated having to kill an combatant before he killed me.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30   #69

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Texas has an open-carry law. Personally, I would never live in or even visit a state that allows high school dropouts to strap AR-15s on their back while shopping or walking down the street. I live in Florida, which unfortunately issues concealed weapons permits, but at least does not allow thugs to intimidate people with unnecessary display of assault weapons. Also, the sailing is better on the west coast of Florida and in the Keys.
Dear God. I’ve spent my entire life in Texas and other than the cable news I’ve never seen an example of this statement. Also you can’t just open carry in Texas you have to have a permit for anything other than a long gun/rifle. Further it’s completely impractical licensed or not to do any of this nonsense in any of the metropolitan areas of the state.

How the heck did Guns end up in this conversation?

To the OP the Clear Lake area has some very nice resort style marinas that allow live aboards. As a bonus the access to parts and materials is outstanding due to having the oil and gas industry and NASA as neighbors. Need some titanium by noon? No problem lol. Lots of direct flights from IAH to just about anywhere in Asia. We’ve been nailed a few times storm wise over the years but that can happen in Florida too. The clear lake area tends to do ok unless it’s a direct hit or the wet side/surge side of the storm. It’s a brackish lake and most of the marinas are somewhat protected. Take a moment to google earth the area. Honestly I think the storm angle is a toss up for either location and travel is superior out of IAH. If you’re a foodie then Clear Lake/Houston is superior. I travel extensively (not this year!) for work and I’m telling you that the food quality and variety in the Houston area is second to none.

All that said Florida is great I’m heading there myself in month. Not that it should matter but the gun laws in both states are very similar and I can only guess the person who made the above statement has never been to the Houston/Clear Lake area or frankly anywhere else in Texas.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:33   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Texas has an open-carry law. Personally, I would never live in or even visit a state that allows high school dropouts to strap AR-15s on their back while shopping or walking down the street. I live in Florida, which unfortunately issues concealed weapons permits, but at least does not allow thugs to intimidate people with unnecessary display of assault weapons. Also, the sailing is better on the west coast of Florida and in the Keys.
FYI Texas has always allowed open carry of long guns. The open and concealed carrying of handguns is the only thing that is new. Texas law allows anyone who is a bonafide traveler to carry a gun with them for protection. When I was growing up in Texas it was common to see people driving around with shotguns and rifles in the back of the truck windows. never had a problem with anyone who carries and I personally feel more comfortable having protection around like that.

Back to the subject at hand, Texas Gulf communities are varied and can differ tremendously. I think living in Texas would be easier with kids for tax and school concerns, but it really would depend on where you end up. Florida has more access to better sailing like the keys, Bahamas and your just a stones throw from Cuba and Puerto Rico. Tough decision.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:47   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Well OP what do you think? Should we respond to this post, which is at least relevant, or should be start a new thread?
My question has been about living overseas.

Only a handful understood. My wording was poor.

So I hope people get something out of the thread no matter their interests.

Everything else is up to the Moderators.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:53   #72

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you start a new thread on this topic we will just merge it with this thread.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:59   #73

The marinas in the Houston/Galveston are some of the best along the Gulf coast; especially for hurricane protection. Great for live aboard. So for living and working -Texas. If you want to see pretty water - Florida.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:11   #74

Quote:
I know Florida and currently have my sailboat there, but I've only been two Texas twice... well unless you count the times I've been in the airports... then its dozens.

Corpus Christi came up in search results and knew someone from there who said it was very nice... other than that I'm clueless on TX.

Looking for ease of renewing boat taxes, stickers, etc etc while abroad. Low taxes. Living abroad and calling it home. Ease with all the difficulties that provides. Homeschooling is a big one. Another bonus I know about TX is Korean Air, which I almost always use to fly to Philippines flies non stop from TX. Florida I would have to hop to TX first to catch flight.

Other things I don't even know about?

Why has no one really answered this question. He doesn't want to know which place to LIVE!!! He doesn't care about open-carry or small towns vs. big cities or anything like that.

He wants to know which place is easier to be FROM if you are living, in his case in the Philippines, possibly on a boat.

Can you homeschool without having a local address? Can you home-school without having a local person with oversight? I thought you could use the Calvert School and do it all by mail without any local involvement.

As far as I know, if you have a documented boat and are outside the US, you only have to deal with the documentation stickers and you don't have to have a local tax sticker of any kind. Do I remember correctly?

Couldn't he use a mail forwarding service like St. Brendan's Isle?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:25   #75

Quote:
Ummm...

I think I’ve created confusion. It has to do with the R

I’m asking about living abroad as in overseas.

I think people are reading aboard as on the boat.

My apologies if I confused.

I looking for help living overseas and which state is better to call home while living overseas.
If you have no US generated income it does not make much difference in terms of incomes taxes what state you moved abroad from. The first approx. $100K of foreign generated income is not taxed(if you spend less than 31 days a year in the USA).

For voting using an absentee ballot I believe reverts to the county where you last lived in the USA.

I am not certain but if you have no US generated income you may not be required to file a state income tax return. But you need to ask an accountant.

Other than discussing generalities for tax advice and legal advice, the advice you get on a forum like this is worth what you pay for it.

Another thing is I don't think you can legally establish state residency without spending time there. The issue becomes the state where you moved from. The state where you moved from may ask you to prove you spent enough time in the state you moved to. If that was not the case everyone would just get a PO Box in Florida, Fla. drivers license, etc. not spend time in Fla. and not never pay state income tax again. boat in Fla. Having your boat may help making your case even you if you spent little time in Fla.

If you own rental property in the USA you will have to file a state income tax return in the state where the rental property is located.

If you are receiving social security pension benefits different states have different rules and about taxing social security. There is a lot of info online about which states are best to retire to including how social security is taxed in different states.

Depending on how much US based income, social security pension income or foreign based income you have, it may make the most sense to stick with the state where you reside now after you move abroad just for familiarity sake / less hassle. Unless you have significant US based income the difference in the amount of tax paid for residing in 1 state versus another is not going to be very much.

Another issue for living abroad is health insurance. Medicare does not cover cost of medical care abroad. You likely would want to have basic medicare coverage and return to the USA if you have a major medical problem, self insure for more minor issues, get local health insurance or expat health insurance. Other than basic medicare you are not permitted to have other medicare coverage if you live abroad. If you move back to the USA you may have to pay a penalty to get further medicare coverage. I think penality applies if you don't get medicare when you turn 65 and then decide you want basic medicare latter.

You have asked a question that gets very complicated very quickly to consider the trade offs and you provided very little info. What I tried to do is give you an idea of what is involved so you know what to consider, where to look for further info, or who to ask.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, texas