Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 07:14   #46

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Texas or Florida better living abroad?

I'm so sorry I've confused so many!!!

Abroad/Aboard... didn't even think about how close those two words were and easily reversed.

My question is about living abroad... in other countries. Not aboard, as on boat. My question is which is better when your living in another country to have as a home address for ease of renewing boat registration, taxes, home school, and other things I just don't know to ask.

I think this forum better than google, as I don't even know what to google as I don't know what problems will come up. Many here are living it so they would know what oddities and problems arise.
Old 28-09-2020, 07:25   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
My question is about living abroad... in other countries. Not aboard, as on boat. My question is which is better when your living in another country to have as a home address for ease of renewing boat registration, taxes, home school, and other things I just don't know to ask.
I would say the difference then between living in Florida and living in Texas is meaningless and you should chose the one YOU like better.
Old 28-09-2020, 07:27   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I know Florida and currently have my sailboat there, but I've only been two Texas twice... well unless you count the times I've been in the airports... then its dozens.

Corpus Christi came up in search results and knew someone from there who said it was very nice... other than that I'm clueless on TX.

Looking for ease of renewing boat taxes, stickers, etc etc while abroad. Low taxes. Living abroad and calling it home. Ease with all the difficulties that provides. Homeschooling is a big one. Another bonus I know about TX is Korean Air, which I almost always use to fly to Philippines flies non stop from TX. Florida I would have to hop to TX first to catch flight.

Other things I don't even know about?
Corpus is pleasant. I used to keep a boat there.

One of the largest concetrations of recreational vessels on the planet is the Kemah/Clear Lake area. A lot more ammenities there than Corpus. Also closer to Houston for international flights.

More direct international flights out of TX (IAH or DFW) than FL...which is mostly just Miami.

Cruising grounds are WAY better, and more accessible, off the W coast of FL than anywhere in TX. The TX coast is very commercialized (mostly oil patch related) with lots of commercial traffic.

Cant help on home schooling. Others here who probably can.

Do you plan to sail any or just live aboard?
Old 28-09-2020, 07:42   #49

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I don't think most of texas has vehicle inspections. My brothers residency is Dallas and it is required there. Thx-Ace
Old 28-09-2020, 10:42   #50

Plan two years sailing around Florida.

Then ~ 5 years sailing Caribbean.

Then big question... do I sail across Pacific, or just sell boat in USA and buy new one in Philippines/Thailand. Lots of cheap boats there as people give up on cruising.

I don't know. A lot will depend on how much I trust my boat at that point and how much money I would have to invest to make it ready to cross Pacific. Prouts are able to cross but I'm more than a little... scared shitless really... maybe 5 years of sailing Caribbean will give me more perspective on which is right decision.

So far TX sounds best due to home school laws, ease of flights to Philippines.

Florida is best because it's familiar.

TX is worse because it's unfamiliar.

Florida is worse because they could call for me to return to FL for audit within 15 days.
Old 28-09-2020, 10:52   #51

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

North Florida (Jacksonville - St Augustine - Cape Canaveral) is very nice and affordable. The pan handle of Florida is very rural and inexpensive....Pensacola is nice.
Tampa and St Pete are very very nice but expensive and a bit crowded.
South Florida (Ft Lauderdale & Miami) is way too crowded and expensive.

Cannot speak for Texas other than Houston SUCKS!
Old 28-09-2020, 11:08   #52

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Carrying a gun is like carrying a stapler, it doesn't do anything unless you push it............

Afraid of staplers.......... don't buy one.
And if you are concerned about others with poor judgement or limited understanding of stapler safety......? Owning my own stapler doesn't even solve that problem.
Old 28-09-2020, 17:45   #53

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
I don't think most of texas has vehicle inspections. My brothers residency is Dallas and it is required there. Thx-Ace
I think all of Texas has vehicle inspections and registrations. Its a State reg.
Old 28-09-2020, 18:04   #54

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Miss the old days when guns in the rack of a pickup's back window wasn't controversial.
Old 28-09-2020, 18:21   #55

Boat: Lagoon 42

as someone from texas, i'd rather be in florida on my boat than in Texas. Bahamas is right over there and key west is down there and cuba is just over there. In texas you have murky water and these things we call beaches but aren't really beaches. outside of boat life, texas is perfect.
Old 29-09-2020, 08:44   #56

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Owning my own stapler doesn't even solve that problem.
What are you saying.............?

You don't know how to use a stapler...?????
Old 29-09-2020, 09:32   #57

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I think all of Texas has vehicle inspections and registrations. Its a State reg.
I dont understand how this relates to maintaining residency there though?

Ive maintained residencey in TX and FL while cruising/living abroad. No big deal in either State. TX you can renew DL online which is very handy, I kept mine renewed for a decade. TX you must physically mail in a ballot to vote absentee, which is absurd (Its 2020, its absurd that we are still using a cumbersome/antiquated paper system to vote anywhere!!!). FL is a bit easier to vote absentee (still absurd, but not as much so).
Old 29-09-2020, 10:40   #58
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The best state to live while abroad would be where you have close friends or family to manage your mail. I don't know how old your kids are but can say that a high school education is highly over rated compared to simply passing the equivalency test (except for maybe the social aspects). Prepare your kids to pass the GED and to score well on the SAT. That is all you need for college entry. They don't really care about actual schooling. This was our experience. He took the GED at sixteen, then the SAT before we left the country and had no trouble with college admissions after he decided to leave us. (not ivy league, but my straight A valedictorian niece couldn't get into the ivy league schools that she had applied to). As mentioned by another above, the rules are probably about to change anyway.
Old 29-09-2020, 12:32   #59

Since my kids are Philippine and American they can attend college in the Philippines for a LOT less than they US. Many of the International schools qualify for American Credits. And degrees work in US after appropriate tests.

But my oldest that will be on the boat with us is 9 now, so college is not a worry anytime soon.

He will have a much better education sailing the world and the life skills that will learn will earn him money even without college degrees.

I'm the one who mentioned I'm guessing the rules will change if more people start home schooling. Another thing that might affect it is if Trump gets reelected and passes school choice people might be able to use online/homeschools more easily. This will really threaten school systems and probably prompt them to force legislative changes. Those in power rarely like competition and school boards/unions are notorious for attacking any threat to their power from what I've seen.

Still, I have an college degree in education. My license has expired, but even the most strenuous home school laws I have seen would let me teach through high school.

It's sounding like Texas would be easier living over seas, but it's hard to explore the new when you are used to something else and have no complaints. I like Florida. I've got a couple years, but so far it sounds like Texas is winning on ease of living overseas.
Old 29-09-2020, 14:04   #60
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
I'm so sorry I've confused so many!!!
Abroad/Aboard... didn't even think about how close those two words were and easily reversed
Oh dear, you want to live "abroad" in Florida or Texas? Now that is curious. I honestly overlooked "abroad" as a typo and ignored it.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, texas