Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 17:56   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: HR 49 or Jeanneau 49 ?

You can't imagine the can of worms you would open with the HR. When u have boats with obvious signs of deferred maintenance.... think of it like the iceberg thing... u r only seeing the tip of it. By the time u got done getting her shipshape u would be keel hauled by the MRS.

Any one who has done a refit will tell u. It is bloody expensive and it takes all of your time and energy. Soggy rudders that are full of rot. Electrical systems a mess. Engines that have not been maintained are better than the IRS at separating your money from your bank account.

There are so many good quality boats on the market. You be kind to yourself. Don't ruin your sabbatical with a project boat. Used cats are nice for families also and have good resell value. Especially good resell value with all of the cats that were damaged this past hurricane season. It is the way I would go if I wanted to resell. Your wife and kids would also enjoy the comforts of a cat more. Think it over.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 23:16   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

I don't think I've ever seen a Cf thread with such 100% agreement.. Lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 23:24   #18

Boat: Able 50

Maybe they both have the same brand of anchor ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 23:25   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

anchor?
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53   #20

Boat: Malö 40H

It took me a couple of moments to get it too .. kinda funny actually...
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59   #21

Hi peppepep,

We're still looking at Lagoon 380's for our trip but have been looking at mono alternatives as well.

Agree with the other posts that out of the two I'd go with the Jeanneau. It's more suitable to the type of sailing, more comfortable, and I'd expect be easier to sell.

The 7 months between now and July are going to start flying by and the less work you have to do to get the boat ready the better.

terah
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 16:28   #22

Apart from the $ fixing up an old but admittably better quality boat the time factor is the decider. You will spend at least a year sortimg out the HR ready to go. You only have 12 months and believe me it will evaporate very quickly. I boght a "tunrnkey" boat for a 2 year sabbatical and spent 6 months sorting the vessel and it was relatively young. The consensus here appears unaminous! Very suprising gven the AWB bashers on the forum.

Good luck
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:46   #23

Hey guys,

I really appreciate your advise, and I agree I have never seen a thread like this, where 100% of answers are aligned into one option !

So this should be a no-brainer choice, and you made this evident to me.

We will try to get the SO49i for a reasonable price and then we will enjoy the 12 months in full without wasting time for a "project boat" like the HR. If the main objective was to live onboard for 5-10 years and circumnavigate, then the HR could have been an option to be taken into account, but this is not our objective (for now)....

To Alita49DS: can you please explain why the 49DS version is better compared to the "standard" 49i? I actually have heard the other way around...

To terah: initially I also have been looking for a lagoon 380, but the budget to get a 380 in the right conditions (comparable with a mono-hull) is different, I think something around 30% more, which I would like to keep in my pocket if possible. In addition, we like a lot sailing mono-hulls and we didn't like very much the "sailing" feeling when we have rented a lagoon 420 in Croatia. And, being just 4 people, the SO49 should be big enough for us...therefore I have "abandoned" the CAT option for now...still monitoring the market but I think nothing will pop-up in time for me...
peppepep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Im not sure if the 49DS versus the 49i question is an open one but My wife and I looked at several of each while searching in Croatia. There are far more 49i's on the market and prices were much lower for them. We liked and bought the DS for it's galley/nav station by the companionway layout, and roomier feel.
The i version has it forward opposite the salon table, blocking access forward when anyone is in the galley, and bringing the galley into the salon.
The extra light and visibility of the DS windows is welcome but requires the 3M reflective tint which blocks 85% of suns heat to keep the shades open in the tropics.
The cabin sole also has huge storage capacity in it's raised section, or generator location. Otherwise I see no disadvantages to the DS.
Now is the time to be shopping for either in the Med, as the season is over, the old charter boats are up for sale and need to be sold before their replacements arrive in March/April. The prices go down until they're gone.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 13:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Cf thread with such 100% agreement.. Lol.
Pretty hard for everyone not to agree given the description of the boats and the time frame. If the HR had been refitted recently and turnkey then there is something to debate but the condition of the boats and particularly the time frame really sets it up as a no brainer. But hey I guess even with those conditions it's probably a surprise that there wasn't a decenter or two.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau