Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Freedom 30 vs Hunter vision vs...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
There was a picture of a Freedom 30 doing the Transpac in Practical sailor magazine last month. Was that your friend?
Oh really? I missed this. If it was the Singlehanded Sailing Society's TransPacific race in 2016, that would be Mike Cunningham on Jaqueline. I'll try to find the article....how cool!

Where do you sail, Jaqun?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43   #17

Boat: Freedom 30

Long island sound out of City Island Yacht club.
I will check when I get home and get you the issue number. It was very cool seeing it in there.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:25   #18

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I have. Fresh water 1984 Freedom 32 for sale at Nest Egg marine on Green Bay. Stored inside for 16 winters.The survey says the rudder shows dampness. I plan on having this fixed. I love the boat and always had her professionally maintained. Asking 25. I bought a Catalina 36. I sailed the Freedom single handed on northern Lake Michigan and never had a moments concern about the boat.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:34   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I will second the comments by Pizzazz who recommended the Hunter 31/34 of the late 80's. These are roomy boats with good original equipment like yanmar diesels and origo stoves. And they are attractively priced, if that is a concern.

If price is not the issue, then I would suggest the Nonsuch boats, made in Canada in the 70's and 80's. They are well known for their high quality build and exceptional roominess below. A nonsuch 26 may be as big below as some 30 foot boats. The Nonsuch boats also sail great with their freestanding masts. They are very popular around here. They have always been a premium priced boat, and have held their value well. Recently however, I've noticed a dip in prices, as the fleet gets older, so there are deals on them to be had. Find one on the great lakes and you can add the weak canadian dollar and freshwater as further features. For coastal cruising, it might just be what you are looking for!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 17:11   #20

Boat: Freedom 30

Gamayun
It’s the November 2017, (vol 43 no 11) and yes it is William Cunningham
AboardJacqueline.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 18:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
Gamayun
It’s the November 2017, (vol 43 no 11) and yes it is William Cunningham
AboardJacqueline.
Ah, I see it was a letter to the editor about his antenna. Good picture of him heading out of SF Bay on his way to Kauai. I think he's planning to do the race again this year, so there should be two Freedoms to watch for this year
Old 03-01-2018, 18:47   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Gamayun, I think your dates are a bit mixed up here. I think you meant the mulls started approx 88. Freedom yachts ceased 98 or a little bit before.

I think your 38 is one of the best value boats out there. I'm surprised more people don't flock to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Well now, he's been holding out and has not told anyone about this on the SSS (that I'm aware of). I'm going to have to out him. Thanks for that info

To the OP, it's not quite the easiest to figure out, but Mull's designs appear to be 1998 and later; Gary Hoyt's were earlier. I have seen literature where it says Mull first Freedom was in 1989, but that seems incorrect. Happy to be corrected definitively on this.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 21:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Gamayun, I think your dates are a bit mixed up here. I think you meant the mulls started approx 88. Freedom yachts ceased 98 or a little bit before.

I think your 38 is one of the best value boats out there. I'm surprised more people don't flock to them.
So, that was a typo on my part but I had also deleted my original posting after reading that Practical Sailor entry on Mike's Freedom and then I looked up the info about Mull on Wikipedia so I have a tendency to edit a post ad nauseam. Wikipedia says that the first F38 designed by Mull was built in 1989. Mine is an '88. The only thing I can figure that means is that it started out life as an F36, which were first designed by Mull in 1985, and then the sugar scoop was added later. I don't get that either because my understanding of the F36 and the F38 is that TPI just added a scoop. Mine is documented as an F36. Wikipedia shows the same curious thing about the F30 (1986) and F32 (1988), Why is this? This issue has always been a source of confusion for me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mull

Thanks much for the compliment about my boat. I am VERY pleased with K and her sailing abilities, which more than make up for my shortcomings in that area
Old 04-01-2018, 02:09   #24

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I will second the comments by Pizzazz who recommended the Hunter 31/34 of the late 80's. These are roomy boats with good original equipment like yanmar diesels and origo stoves. And they are attractively priced, if that is a concern.

If price is not the issue, then I would suggest the Nonsuch boats, made in Canada in the 70's and 80's. They are well known for their high quality build and exceptional roominess below. A nonsuch 26 may be as big below as some 30 foot boats. The Nonsuch boats also sail great with their freestanding masts. They are very popular around here. They have always been a premium priced boat, and have held their value well. Recently however, I've noticed a dip in prices, as the fleet gets older, so there are deals on them to be had. Find one on the great lakes and you can add the weak canadian dollar and freshwater as further features. For coastal cruising, it might just be what you are looking for!
I'm definitely glad I posted this question because I'm hearing a lot of good things about Nonsuch boats. Definitely looking at them. Thank you!
NedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:35   #25

Be prepared to be the last owner of any old boat, even heavily discounted they are difficult to sell, I sold my nonsuch 30 for $25k, after 5 years on the market and in excellent condition for its age.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
Be prepared to be the last owner of any old boat, even heavily discounted they are difficult to sell, I sold my nonsuch 30 for $25k, after 5 years on the market and in excellent condition for its age.
How much has this got to do with the free-standing rig itself? I've always been told these types of boats are a niche market
Old 04-01-2018, 08:28   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
How much has this got to do with the free-standing rig itself? I've always been told these types of boats are a niche market
I thought Freeform would be hard to sell due to the rig,surprisingly she sold very fast in fact shes sold again since then. I think if a boat is presented in very good condition compared to the competition in that size and price range she'll move, most old boats are looking "old".
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:34   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy NEDX! Welcome aboard CF!

To Anyone Reading This:
I encourage anyone who has an interest in boats with Free Standing Masts (such as a Freedom or Nonsuch or others) to read the many owner comments in the following ongoing thread here on CF.

It has over 400 posted comments with many photos and illustrations and specs on different types of boats, some popular, and some rare ones too.

If you own(ed) a boat (of any make) that has a Free Standing Mast, I also encourage you to post your own comments about your boat, such as its quirks, handling, features you loved or hated, construction details, long passages you made, ease of use, etc. Anecdotes about your boat may help others understand the particular boat type you have/had, and bring back good memories for sailors and help others learn..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-150283.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter