Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 23:16   #31

Re: Thoughts on Improving Wharram Tiki 38

"I always vote for the Wharrams cause they come with naked ladies ... I've seen'm in the Design Book! "

OK, so how do I get the naked lady? Is there a coupon that comes with the plan set?
I have't seen any naked ladies in any of the Farrier F-boat ads, so this may just be the deciding factor!
bodhi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 23:31   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi02 View Post
"I always vote for the Wharrams cause they come with naked ladies ... I've seen'm in the Design Book! "

OK, so how do I get the naked lady? Is there a coupon that comes with the plan set?
I have't seen any naked ladies in any of the Farrier F-boat ads, so this may just be the deciding factor!
Have you considered the Pahi 63 ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaia-Costa-Brava-93-650.jpg
Views:	10639
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	28042
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Have you considered the Pahi 63 ...
Attachment 28042
That does it. I'm getting a Wharram BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thoughts on Improving Wharram Tiki 38

I should mention that the Tiki's are a different design/build than the 23ftrs (original designs) mentioned below... they do tack reasonably well...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20   #35

Boat: O'Day 28

Bodhi02 - When you get home from the Sand Box, you'll be within hailing distance of Mark Johnson, a multihull bulder/sailor and forum contributor, see post #7. If you haven't already, you might consider reading his prior posts. I am a Wharram fan but I am a Searunner fan as well. Higher performance ain't a bad thing. We're probably not gonna survive the Apocalypse anyway.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:23   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

The Tiki 38 is one of Wharram's most popular cruising designs. It has standing head room in the hulls and enough interior volume to hold cruising gear and supplies.It is a very seaworthy design. That said, it has a very small sail plan.For comparison, the Tiki 30 weighs about 3000 lbs ready to go. The T38 weighs in at about 3 times that. (JWD says that they weigh less) The T30 carrys 385 ft of sail, the T38 carrys 573ft. The T38 has a schooner rig and much greater windage than the T30, weighs 3 times as much and has only 1/2 again as much sail area. The T30is an awesome sailor when off the wind. She does go to weather, but not near as well as a boat with boards and a more modern style rig.Some people really like the gaff wing sail rig.I prefer a more modern rig. I built two T26s with a taller full battened big roach main, 30% more sail area than plan and removed the skegs and added balanced kick-up rudders. These boats sail much better to weather and tack without backing the jib. James and Hanneke do not like people messing with their designs. They are IMO very cool boats and I will be building another one for my self as my T30 has been sold. It will have several non-Wharam approved design changes. These changes will include dagger boards and a more modern ,more powerful rig.Changes to the plans will entail considerable more effort and time and should not be undertaken with out understanding this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:51   #37

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I chose my first two boat projects specifically because of the need for a "demountable" easily trailered design, that could be bolted up and finished at the coast. My "barn/boatyard" was 150 miles inland!

Here's another possibility:

In trimarans... the "A frame" Searunner 31 fits the bill, as does John Marples' SeaClipper series. My 28' SeaClipper took a few days to bolt & glue together before launch, then a couple of weeks of finishing touches in the water. The SeaClippers come in larger sizes as well.

I trailered mine on the standard boat trailer, shown...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8180414.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	28060   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_30_34.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	28061  

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_31_38.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	28062   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_33_02.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	28063  

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_35_21.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	28064  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
I built two T26s with a taller full battened big roach main, 30% more sail area than plan and removed the skegs and added balanced kick-up rudders. These boats sail much better to weather and tack without backing the jib. James and Hanneke do not like people messing with their designs. They are IMO very cool boats and I will be building another one for my self as my T30 has been sold. It will have several non-Wharam approved design changes. These changes will include dagger boards and a more modern ,more powerful rig.Changes to the plans will entail considerable more effort and time and should not be undertaken with out understanding this.
So basically exactly the same changes that I am considering (except for changing the type of rig), with what sounds like a very satisfying result. I understand that making these changes will entail a bit more building time and complexity, but still no where near the complexity, time, and cost of the other build that I am considering, the Farrier F-39.

Boatsmith, Did you place the daggers at the mid-point of the hulls or the mid-point of the center of effort for your sailplan? There are several very well known naval architects in the New Bern, NC area who I am sure I could get help from in making sure the changes are structurally and sailingly(?) correct so far as balance points and beam strength for an increased sailplan. Although the Wharram beams are so overbuilt that it probably isn't necessary.

As for the Searunner and Seacutter trimaran designs, if I decide to build a tri, it will be the Farrier F-39. But thanks for the suggestions.
Mark J, If you are around when I get home, I would like to meet with you and see your boat if you have some time. By the way, where do you keep your boat with that beam? I was thinking about anchoring in the Trent River off of Lawson's Creek Park, but I'll have to measure the wider channel through the railrod tressle.
Thanks everyone again for the great discussion so far.
Bruce
Old 05-06-2011, 13:52   #39

Quote:

Right you are there.
I built an F-boat and to date no naked ladies have shown up. Maybe it is because I am 55 years old?
Best chick-magnet I've ever sailed was a Hobie. While at 'varsity I sailed Lasers, but my mates with Hobies often got lucky right there on the trampolines (out on the water, or at night on the boat on the beach). That's when I realised multi's are the best boats.

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:59   #40

Boat: Skookum 53'

I hope that 55 is not too old for seeing naked women on your Cat. I think if you cultivate a mysterious smile with a devil may care twinkle in your eye, then there will be a few women out there who are not wise to sailor's lies yet. There is the old mantra True Virgins Make Dull Companions add a little Whiskey to make them go down.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
so the Tiki 38 really should be just about perfect.
Apart from the fact that it will then neither be 38 foot long, nor a Wharram Tiki.

As you have a good grasp on your needs why not fully spec out the requirements and then approach a designer with a clean(ish) sheet (even if heavily inspired by a Wharram). Otherwise you end up trying to create a Toyota - by starting with a Ford.

Although I am not a Naval Architect , my gut says that 2 foot on length ain't gonna compensate for another foot of beam - probably something to do with "squaring" going on..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44   #42

DOJ,
I have actually considered doing exactly that. Graham Byrnes lives very close to my home and I already have a set of plans from him for a Carolina Sportfisher, and also plan to buil done of his Core Sound series sailing skiffs. great boats from a highly skilled architect.
About a year ago, when I was just getting ready to start the Carolina sportfisher build (and then got deployed), I was trying to explain to a friend's wife about the reasons I want to build my own boat. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to explain the craftsman need to do things yourself, but I ended up creating this little cartoon...
I hope you enjoy
www.xtranormal.com/watch/7249077/

Bruce
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33   #43

Boat: O'Day 28

[QUOTE=captain58sailin;701703]I hope that 55 is not too old for seeing naked women on your Cat. I think if you cultivate a mysterious smile with a devil may care twinkle in your eye, then there will be a few women out there who are not wise to sailor's lies yet.

Add an eye patch and red pirate doo rag and you'll have to beat them off.

There is the old mantra True Virgins Make Dull Companions add a little Whiskey to make them go down.[/QUOTE]

Good advice, Cap58, but my moral compass says this is a family show!

Bodhi- DOJ is right. You could end up with a deal like the $15K tri. The owner kinda blew that visually because of the rig.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:43   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I don't know if any of you have ever tried to explain the craftsman need to do things yourself, but I ended up creating this little cartoon...
I hope you enjoy
www.xtranormal.com/watch/7249077/

Bruce
Nice one. and brave
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13   #45

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

With these radical changes in mind, try looking into a Woods design, or other open deck cat, that was "intended" for a higher payload, more room, modern larger rig, and centerboards. IMO... It only makes sense to "build something" when you KNOW what you will end up with.

If you can entice aboard a crew of several naked women, like James Wharram has,
you will have accomplished the goal, and be happier with the boat as well.

Regarding naked women... I find that I have my hands full with just one!

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wharram