Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 19:38   #16

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Look at some of the wooden boats that were one sprung plank from disaster that made it around. Setting out, seamanship, and luck are huge factors, the boat matters of course but it is only a part of the equation. I haven't circumnavigated but I have sailed across the equator twice on my own boat double handed on a 34' production plastic.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 19:55   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

There are some BS postings that stated somehow “Production” sailboats cannot cross the ocean. There is no fact to that, in the contrary there were plenty had made the journey.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 03:31   #18

Boat: Bavaria cruiser 42 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Freshman, sailing is not a boat it’s a skill, the most credible sailors are humble, there is no though talking when you are on the late watch and the make of your vessel is not what counts.
As an officer for a very large emergency service municipality I would tell the new fire fighters obsessed with what the patch says on the front of there helmet. Firefighting is not what is on the helmet, it’s what’s in the hart.
Circumnavigation is not who made your boat, it’s the road that got you there and the hart/soul that did it.
Lots of Hinkleys, Swans, sparkman& Stephan’s vessels in the mooring fields around my local harbor Oyster Bay. Nobody moves when the wind goes over 25 knots, except me and my 2010 Jeanneau 44i.

Cheers
You are absolutely right.
JuliusAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 05:41   #19

Boat: Amel 50

Everybody knows that skills are important not the manufacturer of he boat.

But question was about production boat who sailed around the world.
These boats which are not considered as ''blue water'' by DNA.
Simply question to these of you who did it.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 09:05   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

BillKNY; get 4 votes if east to west and non-stop...get 8 votes if no GPS, just sextant, get 12 votes if boat's length overall is < 40 ft, if all apply - let you do the math....
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 09:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
Everybody knows that skills are important not the manufacturer of he boat.

But question was about production boat who sailed around the world.
These boats which are not considered as ''blue water'' by DNA.
Simply question to these of you who did it.
No boat is Blue Water by DNA.. just by the Advertising..
MarkJ a member of CF has made one and a half circumnavigations with his Beneteau 393..
Countless have over the last three decades in growing numbers.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:36   #22

Our Hunter is a blue water boat.

SV Agua Azul
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post

SV Agua Azul
So was my 1983 Cherubini Hunter 37c..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 19:45   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So was my 1983 Cherubini Hunter 37c..
So was Kon-Tiki... (but then she wasn't a production boat, but ya get the idea?)

Jim
Old 01-03-2021, 04:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
World Arc boats are a small number of the total boats that circumnavigate in a year. I seriously doubt that more solo sailors complete a circumnavaigation in a year than a typical World Arc number.

I think the OP meant boats circumnavigating or ocean crossing outside of ARCs and the like. Clearly English isn’t his first language.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:54   #26

And I think all he’s trying to do is compile a list of people who have circumnavigated or crossed oceans in production boats.
I have a friend who circumnavigated in a Sigma 38.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:20   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
I think the OP meant boats circumnavigating or ocean crossing outside of ARCs and the like. Clearly English isn’t his first language.
Thought he was just looking for examples of these boats circumnavigating or perhaps making some statement about them. Here's one example
Weeger, Teri & Greg / Huntington Beach / 2006-09 / Beneteau 473 / Greetings
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:33   #28

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Freshman, sailing is not a boat it’s a skill, the most credible sailors are humble, there is no though talking when you are on the late watch and the make of your vessel is not what counts.
As an officer for a very large emergency service municipality I would tell the new fire fighters obsessed with what the patch says on the front of there helmet. Firefighting is not what is on the helmet, it’s what’s in the hart.
Circumnavigation is not who made your boat, it’s the road that got you there and the hart/soul that did it.
Lots of Hinkleys, Swans, sparkman& Stephan’s vessels in the mooring fields around my local harbor Oyster Bay. Nobody moves when the wind goes over 25 knots, except me and my 2010 Jeanneau 44i.

Cheers
LMAO what does this add up to when in one breath you say "the most credible sailors are humble" then brag about being the only one to go out in 25knot winds ...lol
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:23   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post

SV Agua Azul
Just name the boat Agua Azul and its a blue water boat.

I am wondering with todays technology and better weather prediction/models that that is why we see more light weight production boats sailing across ocean waters versus the necessity to have that heavy built like a tank "blue water" boat.
Just a thought.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:53   #30

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Just name the boat Agua Azul and its a blue water boat.

I am wondering with todays technology and better weather prediction/models that that is why we see more light weight production boats sailing across ocean waters versus the necessity to have that heavy built like a tank "blue water" boat.
Just a thought.

Abe

That’s exactly what we did. Mostly as a bird flip to all the production boat haters and arm chair quarterbacks.

Our Hunter 410 is highly capable of crossing oceans, and we will soon be doing so aboard her. It’s a boat that continues to impress us daily. Having lived aboard a Robert Perry “blue water” boat and now this... I’d choose the Hunter any day of the week.

Just like it is for us, production boats make amazing full time cruising vessels for a ton of people. We see them everywhere we go and rarely hear complaints from actual owners.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, boat, jeanneau