Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 15:48   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2, 1980
Ericson 35-2 Anchor Chain & Locker Set Up

Hello Everybody,

I'm replacing the old Sea Tiger manual anchor windlass with an electric Lewmar. In doing this I need to replace my old 50' of 3/8 chain and 150' feet of 5/8" 3 strand with G40 3/8 chain and maybe yes/maybe no on the rope. My main issue is if I move to 200' of chain, I end up with 300lbs +/- in the bow. I've got a little space just aft of the locker and under my feet in the V-Berth, but the transition from the actual locker to this space is a little awkward and I'm not sure the advantage of 2 feet aft is worth the effort. So the question is, what have you done with yours? Are you happy with the current configuration and if so can I see some pix? Also, opinions on that 300lbs on the nose.

Thanks

Leslie
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 00:32   #2

Boat: 1970 Ericson 35 MKII
Re: Ericson 35-2 Anchor Chain & Locker Set Up

Wow no replies in a year. I have a 35-2 and with 85' of 3/8 chain I remember it plowed significantly more and was harder to tack, as well as being a lot wetter on deck. Getting the chain aft and low will be well worth the effort, and using as little chain as is safely reasonable. I now leave my 85' of chain on the dock unless I know I will anchor, and instead keep a small chain I can carry in the stern locker with the anchor.
Farlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-2, 1980

Thanks for your input. In the last year I've spent a small fortune getting the anchor roller rebuilt to hold my Mantus 35lb, rebedded the deck where the old sea tiger was and installed a lewmar V3 electric windlass. Still working on the actual creation of the locker itself. I don't know about your 35-2, but mine is the whackiest setup. Basically there's the locker which is very V shaped indeed. Then there's a large hole in the aft of the locker where any chain or or rope is going to partially fall into, creating a lovely knot making system when you try to lower the anchor. I'm going to glass that over and hope for the best.

Stay healthy.
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There have been threads about folks who run the chain over the deck to a pipe that leads it down to a compartment near the base of the mast for storage for longer passages. Sorry I can't recall which ones, I'll do a search. My own boat is more sensitive to weight location so I have given it some thought. Your v-berth may allow for a way to be able to draw the chain down through to the second compartment under the v-berth, say through a PVC pipe installed in there. Just an idea, and it does monopolize a valuable storage space, but 300lbs out ahead of the waterline may make a noticeable, negative, difference, I am not sure, in your boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

If your windless gypsy is sized for 3/8" G40 then G40 it is. If your gypsy is sized for 3/8 BBB be sure that is will feed 3/8" G40 without issues.

I'm not up on the pitch length differences of 3/8" chain and the "newer" gypsy design may be more forgiving of pitch.

In my case with an Ideal windlass and a 3/8" BBB gypsy I found that 5/16" G70 feeds fine. This gives me the option of 3/8" BBB or 5/16 G70 (Acco chain). The G70 is stronger and lighter that the 3/8"

YMMV - but there are options.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, ericson