Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 18:20   #1

Wharram builders and sailors

Hi I have been looking at building a wharram cat for a little while (mostly a fairly far future dream) but I am curious about the differences between wharrams and other catamarans, I've never been aboard a wharram or any other large cat for that matter but from the photos it looks as if wharrams have a much more spacious Interior then a lot of other cats, not as richly appointed of course but more open and spacious.
Also I'd like to know more about spray in average sea conditions, I hear they can be a bit wet at times, and also speed in varying conditions, I'm no speed demon when it comes to boats the only boat I've sailed on for any length of time is a 35 mono that we've managed to get up to 8 knots surfing down a wave in rather strong winds, as such im quite happy with an average speed of 6 knots.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:51   #2

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Wharram builders and sailors

I'd be interested as well. Hopefully someone will chime in-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:45   #3

Hard to imagine where you got the impression of spaciousness from?

Not knocking them, but generally for a given length, Wharrams would have to be amongst the least spacious cats around. They usually don't have a bridgedeck saloon, (or any bridgedeck structure really) so the saloon, galley, heads, cabins etc all have to be contained in the hulls.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:23   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Don't forget the yoga like movements climbing over all those beams and getting down into those skinny hulls.
Still if topless chicks are your thing and an alternative lifestyle then maybe a Wharram is for you?
James had marketing down pat when he first crossed the Atlantic with just two woman on board his Wharram.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:35   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I agree with '44 cruisingcat' above, very little room in a Wharram, compared with other cats, or even little room compared with monohulls.
It is more a lifestyle, an identity thing.
I helped complete one (35' Tiki.... or was it 38'?), and have sailed that one quite often.
If you want space down below, you need to go up to 46" or larger (IMO).

The above Wharram (rigged as schooner) sailed OK, but not really fast, just comfortable, and not able to sail close to the wind. But..... I sailed it up to 18 knots, downwind down the steep waves! hmmm that was scary! Yes, I had too much sail up. No, one can not do 6 knots average (in that Tiki), maybe in tradewind areas??? Daily average is more like 100 Nm (4 knots) I would say.

Spray was never an issue on that boat.

Best is to find a Wharram, and crew on one for several nights..... you might find that you like to invest in different kind of boat. Or, after sailing them, if you still like them, buy one 2nd hand, you will save 50%. Home building from scratch is time consuming, and cost more than most builders think.
Old 09-05-2018, 23:00   #6

Thanks I was mostly just curious because some of the photos seem to show a great deal of room width wise in the hulls where others show almost none, I have looked at a few others and would certainly consider other designs however I would steer towards self building since I have access to timber for stop plank very cheaply however I have had some concerns about loading weight on some of the lighter shallower designs
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:24   #7

Wharram interiors are notoriously cramped. At least with the newer designs you don't have to crawl under the beam sockets to get to your bunk.

I co-owned a 27' Tane back in the 70's. The drawings show 4 single bunks. They were long enough to hold a human, but not a fat one. Turning over without hitting your head was near impossible.

The minimum liveable interior would be the Tiki 38, but as posted above, they are slow. They also take a lot longer and cost more to build than the advertising would have you believe.

As I have witnessed, in a steep short chop with little wind they will hobbyhorse badly. The one I saw had the crew hanging on for dear life, sails filling and emptying with every pitch, outboard screaming as the prop came out, went in, came out....

I have an old friend who has been cruising around Asia with his family for a few years on a Tiki 38. They're not in a hurry, they are used to a basic close-to-nature lifestyle, and the boat suits them perfectly.

He bought it (in top condition) for about half the build cost.
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04   #8

It’s called a fish eye lens, yacht brokers and real estate agents love them.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:13   #9

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Still if topless chicks are your thing and an alternative lifestyle then maybe a Wharram is for you?
I'm sitting at a desk right now... where do I sign up?
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wharram builders and sailors

My experience with Wharram Tiki's has been limited to the Tiki 21 (11+kts) and the Tiki 26 (17kts) on which I overtook a freighter doing 15kts in the Channel in a F7 with full sail.. I was younger then
The 21 was pretty much like the Tane described earlier with coffin like quarters.. but an advantage was being able to sail out of Poole Harbour of a morning while sitting on the chemical toilet for the morning dump while cheerfully waving to other boaters.. arms and shoulders were above the hatchway allowing full control.
The 26 was a leap in space with sitting headroom in the hulls and 4 berths.. tho' the norm was to setlle for the big fwd berths and use the midship space for galley and nav station with the rear space for toilet and storage.
With both boats I used a dome tent on the centre deck while anchored.
One can make an aerodynamic sprayhood to keep you dry which is what I did with the 21.. never got round to it with the 26.
As others have said.. it is a lifestyle choice but for me the Tiki 38 would meet all my needs and loaded/balanced correctly should perform well enough..
I really like the L380 but.. if you were to offer me a choice I'd go for the Tiki.. everything is visible and easily maintained.. and economically to boot.. not something that can be said about a Lagoon.
As for the deck protection/shelter.. do what I did.. be creative and artistic.
Pictures of the Tiki21 in my Gallery..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:03   #11

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham View Post
Thanks I was mostly just curious because some of the photos seem to show a great deal of room width wise in the hulls where others show almost none, I have looked at a few others and would certainly consider other designs however I would steer towards self building since I have access to timber for stop plank very cheaply however I have had some concerns about loading weight on some of the lighter shallower designs
Keep in mind that the cost of plywood and timber will likely be a small percentage of the total build cost. You will still need epoxy, fiberglass, spars, rigging, engines, interior fittings, electrical, plumbing, etc, etc. As others have suggested, I would try to get some time on a Wharram if you can, while keeping an eye on the used market.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:12   #12

Check out
“LuckyFish” on youtube
I believe it’s a Tiki 38
Fellow seems quit happy
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53   #13

There is also a great youTube video of Tiki 38 called Pilgrim, sailing across the atlantic in 2011.... great way to see how a Wharram design can be sailed and the conditions it can take.

James McM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27   #14

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Montauk NY has two, one a large cat and a medium size one, they are both day charter boats, both built by the owner of the charter company, his name is David he is very amiable and knowledgeable in reference to the sailing and building of the boats. If you really want to see them up close go there this summer.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:28   #15

These both look spacious for length overall, but who knows. maybe I'm fish eyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5893226_20160802173406667_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	169542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wharramdesigns8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	169543  

uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags