Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 03:37   #31

Boat: Building Wharrams
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

In this video I did a long building session on sunday. I only briefly stopped for a delicious thai lunch. I finished the hardboard backbone patterns and later cut out one part out of 18mm Bruynzeel Hechthout multiplex. These 18mm sheets are heavy to handle alone. And I also planed again 2 long battens for later use. I just try to do a few every building session. The temperature was around 10 degrees inside the work space. I had 60s music on and I really enjoyed this building session.

Music : Go by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 00:27   #32

In this video on this day I stopped at my workspace on the way to the funeral service of the uncle of my father. I moved the Bruynzeel Hechthout multiplex sheets and the planed oregon pine to one of the smaller rooms, because that room is kept at a constant temperature and humidity level. I want to take care of my stock of wood and that is not possible in the main space where the temperature at the moment is getting too low and humidity level too high.
Old 30-10-2017, 02:52   #33

In this video I continued cutting backbone parts out of 18mm Bruynzeel Hechthout multiplex.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:14   #34

In this video I again am cutting backbone parts out of 18mm Bruynzeel Hechthout multiplex. Now there are only 2 parts (4 pieces) that I still need to cut, and then I will start with gluing them together.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51   #35

In this video I am cutting the skeg and keel doubler out of 9mm Bruynzeel Hechthout multiplex plywood. After that, for the first time, together with Younes we did a test experiment with epoxy.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02   #36

In this video I continue with getting used to working with epoxy. In the previous video I used epoxy for the first time, so when I came back the next day I wanted to see how and if I could clean the tools that I used, I also wanted to see if the epoxy cured well. I also coated several other small pieces of plywood to test other things on (like for example sanding or multiple coats). I really want to start with putting the backbone together, but I am first going to work a bit more with test pieces. Apart from that, the temperature in the main room of my working space is now almost below 10 degrees and in the next months it is only getting colder and often more humid. So I might have to postpone putting the backbone together until the temperature and humidity is more suitable. If that would be the case, I know how to keep busy and warm... I have to saw, joint, plane many long battens out of the planks of wood that I have. I am looking at a machine, the Holzstar UMK 6 for this purpose.
Old 14-11-2017, 04:18   #37

In this video I am making a box for the storage of the epoxy at a temperature of around 20 degreed celcius. After that I continue with my epoxy experiments. I sanded some test pieces with 80 grit sandpaper. I was quite surprised about how much of the coating was removed. I am wondering if this is normal or am I sanding too much before applying a new coat?
Old 20-11-2017, 06:48   #38

In this video, which has footage of 2 weekend days, you can see that I continued with various epoxy tests. I also discovered that I am working with the 206 hardener (minimum temperature 15 degrees celcius), while I actually bought and intended to use the 205 hardener (minimum temperature 5 degrees celcius). When the epoxy supplies were delivered I did not notice it. So I have placed another order for the 205 hardener. I am still not done with my epoxy testing. The epoxy warming box that I made last week works a bit too good. The temperature was about 32 degrees celcius. I changed the lightbulb to a 43 watt and now the temperature inside the box stays between 20 and 25 degrees celcius. After that I have built a tent inside my workspace. This is also a test. In the main (large) room my workspace the temperature is currently around 5 degrees celcius and the humidity level is usually somewhere between 70% and 85%. I did this test with the tent to see if I can use the tent to cover parts of the project and bring the temperature inside the tent up to 17 degrees celcius and 60% humidity. Inside the tent there is a small heater with thermostat and a dehumidifier. I am able to get it up to the temperature and humidity values that I want in 15 to 30 minutes and after that the heater and dehumidifier are not running continuous, only when the temperature of humidity gets out of the preferred range. The tent is obviously not large enough so I am not sure if or how I am going to use this tent in the future. Maybe only for building the lower part of the hulls.
Old 29-11-2017, 01:30   #39

In this video my friends Xavier and Matthias came to visit my workspace and they helped me a lot. I am really happy, because thanks to their help I have a full length tent and I have a working table saw and planer/jointer combination. It was a nice day together.
Old 29-11-2017, 04:07   #40

Boat: no boat any more

brilliant!
vids like that we would have needed when we were building our Tangaroa back in the 70ies...yes, the air was clean & sex was dirty, but information was infinitely harder to come by...
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35   #41

In this video you can see that it is getting cold out here. Outside it was just below 0 degrees celcius and inside my workspace it was 2 degrees celcius. I have no problems with that, because inside my large tent it is 12 degrees celcius, which is comfortable and my epoxy seems to cure well. Outside of the tent, but inside the workspace I keep comfortably warm by wearing multiple layers of clothes, and by keeping busy. I cleaned the backbone parts that already have an epoxy coating with water and an abrasive pad to remove amine blush. I have to do that, because I am not using peel ply. I know for sure that I have amine blush, because I can feel it and when I don't clean well with water the 80 grit sandpaper gets clogged up quickly. Did some sawing, jointing and planing for backbone and hull stringers. I am very satisfied about the work done in the latest days. And I promise, for obvious safety reasons, I will not wear a long shawl anymore when I operate woodworking machines (or tuck it tight into my coat).
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14   #42

In this video I continued with preparing the backbone parts. I really enjoy working on my boat. I would like to dedicate more time to it. There are always things to do, applying epoxy, removing amine blush, sanding, cleaning tools, making stringers. Outside it started snowing, the scenery around my workspace is very beautiful when there is a layer of show. This weekend I also helped my friend Jean-Noel who is opening a restaurant, we painted parts of the kitchen.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50   #43

Great videos thanks.
Good luck with the build.
Gdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:02   #44

On this building day I did some backbone epoxy work and while the epoxy was curing I made some more 32x19mm and 45x19mm stringers. It was a very good day.
Old 21-12-2017, 01:02   #45

On this boat-building day my son Louissanto wanted to help me again and he did some amazing epoxy work, used the table saw, jointer and planer. We had a good time together.

Other wonderful news is that in february me and my family will be joining Stewart and Zaya on their Tiki 38 SV Luckyfish on a week long sail from Nassau to Georgetown. Link to Luckyfish Gets Away: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...cqUOkQZqkelyPg

Tags
wharram