Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 11:42   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pearson 35, 1974
Costa Rica to Ecuador Passage

Has anyone experience or knowledge about passage to/from Costa Rica to Ecuador? I am planning a trip in my Pearson 35 and would love to hear about advice or other experiences.

Gracias,

Glenn Henderson
Bahia Herradura, Costa Rica
jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21   #2

Re: Costa Rica to Ecuador Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Has anyone experience or knowledge about passage to/from Costa Rica to Ecuador? I am planning a trip in my Pearson 35 and would love to hear about advice or other experiences.

Gracias,

Glenn Henderson
Bahia Herradura, Costa Rica
Hi Glenn,

Do you have more info allready? We are also planning to go to Ecuador. We are now at sanblas. Do you, or other people who read this, know about anchoring? is this free everywhere alongg the coast? Do you have more info about clearing regulations? It seems to be extreem expansive, 500+ us so far.

Thanks, Marco.
Welkom bij Sailing Silverland ~ Caribbean Charter en cruises
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hola Marco,

I ended up doing a trip to Northern Nicaragua. All the research I did had the cost at about $100. Tripp Martin is very helpful. Here is an email of marina where they clear you in all in one step.

marina@puertolucia.com.ec

If you are coming down from Mexico. Asseradores in northern Nicaragua is an excellent stop.

Glenn Henderson
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Hola Marco,

I ended up doing a trip to Northern Nicaragua. All the research I did had the cost at about $100. Tripp Martin is very helpful. Here is an email of marina where they clear you in all in one step.

marina@puertolucia.com.ec

If you are coming down from Mexico. Asseradores in northern Nicaragua is an excellent stop.

Glenn Henderson
Excellent info jb!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Here is the email of the dockmaster at Asserredores, Nicaragua. His name is Dorian Espinoza. He is very helpful. You cam moor out side of the marine in you like for a nominal fee and use their facilities. Clarance is easy, they come down to the marina on time. I think my total charges (in and out) was about $150. If you are a surfer, there are world class waves there and easy to get to. Fishing is outrageous.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:50   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Tripp Martin is a great source of information. Unless things have changed in the past five years, and they may have, it is not an easy country to visit although it was one of our favourite stops in our circumnavigation. You cannot anchor where you like (in fact there are not many potential anchorages). Tripp has tandem moorings in a river that are very good and looked after. We left our boat there for a month or so and went backpacking in Ecuador and Peru (highly recommended). Seems to me that there were only two places that you could go, other than Guayaquil, which is a dump anyway. You need an agent to arrange entry and exit. Tripp isn't (or wasn't) an official agent but still was able to do it. If you go from one port to the other you need an internal zarpe which means more fees and agents.

Tripp's moorings, off his restaurant are in a river whose mouth is badly silted. You need to come in at high tide with a local pilot who follows a serpentine course. In all it is not the easiest place to visit, nor the cheapest, but well worth it if you want to do some land travel.

Tags
Costa Rica, Ecuador, passage