Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 07:08   #1

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’
Abacos Stay

7/16/19 What Out Board/Boat Accessory “Spare/Back Up” parts should I purchase as to the stay for 3 months at Man O War, Abaco as well as the “passage” across to the Abacos?

Any idea, what is “best means” to make Out Board inoperable as to deterring theft when left at mooring?
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 20:50   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Abacos Stay

Have you seen these?

Avoiding Outboard Motor Theft - get the low down from Marine Insurance Experts Bishop Skinner

Preventing Theft of Small Outboards

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...epair-outboard
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've spent months and months in the Abaco's as well as other parts of the B'mas over many, many years.
Never, not once, did I ever have a lick of a problem.
My boat was always wide open, even at night, without me on it....never a problem.
Most every cruiser leaves the their boat open, hatches, portholes, etc, so you can catch the breeze.
The town dinghy dock will have a dozen or more dinks tied up there. Never once had a lick of problem there either.
Use a long dinghy painter to tie your dink to the dock, this allows other dinks access to the dock as well. If you tie a short line, someone will likely untie it and lengthen it. Sometimes there are only one or two cleats for a dozen dinks. Sometimes people will have to climb on your dink to access theirs...so just chill.....
I think theft is rare in the B'mas....I've had more of a problem in the good 'ole US of A...than there..
Don't be a paranoid American sailor there....the Bahamians are a friendly lot, and most cruisers will look out for each other there.
I've seen many a paranoid cruiser tie their dink to the dock with chain, locks, cable, etc....but this only lasts a few days until common sense fills in.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 12:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Abacos Stay

I still locked mine, but with a 30’ steel cable.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock...-Lock/50371776
About $30 Lowe’s or Home Depot. 30’ is plenty long to let people move it as much as is necessary.
I’d lock the cable to the big boat at night, woke up one day and the painter had chafed through but the cable kept it from floating away.

I suspect that at least some of the “stolen” dinghy’s either chafe the painter or it comes untied, and people assume stolen.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Definitely lock your dingy,motor, etc. at Union Jack Public Dock in Marsh Harbor..or use Mangoes public dock.
AA3JY is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco