Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 10:20   #1

San Diego to French Polynesia routing

We are inexperienced at passageway making and would be very grateful for advice. Our boat is located in San Diego. Which routing would you recommend for French Polynesia? Do we head down the Mexican coast first? Thank you.
vmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 11:02   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: San Diego to French Polynesia routing

There's a lot of information missing here. Type of boat, its condition, equipment, time of year, length of time available, etc.

I would highly recommend cruising Mexico first, especially if you're inexperienced. While the passage to French Polynesia is often pretty easy, I would not recommend it to anyone without blue water experience. Navigating through the Tuamotus and the Society Islands requires superior skills. Also, Mexico is a great place to cruise with beautiful anchorages, a delightful culture, excellent food and an established cruising community.

Whereas I know of inexperienced people completing arduous passages without incident, I think it's foolish.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 11:13   #3

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I also recommend cruising the coast first. Aside from gaining coastal experience, you'll be shaking down the boat to confirm (or at least support the hope) that the boat is ready for the crossing.

Earlier this year I lost my rudder cruising down the coast of Baja (just south of Ensenada). Fortunately I had the Hydrovane to see me through to La Paz where I had it repaired. Afterwards I made the hop to the Marquesas where my boat sits now in storage. Would have been a conundrum to lose the rudder during the crossing as I would have likely needed to turn back for repairs (support in the Marquesas is sparse and relatively inexperienced).
Old 20-09-2018, 11:13   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

We just went straight to Nuka Hiva.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 09:32   #5

Boat: Alerion Express 28

We did a similar passage in '89 aboard our Norseman 447. We went south to Manzanillo and then in April did the "milk run" to the Marquesas, the Tuomotus, and Tahiti. Someone mentioned that the Tuomotus can be a challenge with their entrances and currents but there is lots of literature that should help. It would be a shame to bypass them because they are among the most idyllic landfalls in the Pacific.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 09:56   #6

Boat: Camano 41

If you are ready, and the boat is ready just go. We left Manzanillo, but knew many who left P.V. and San Diego. Our first port of call was Hiva Oa, did all of the Marquesan Islands, Rangiroa in the Tuomotus and all of the Islands in Tahiti, leaving from Bora Bora for Hawaii. Get all the information you can, we were involved with the Pacific net, so with vessels in front, knew where the best crossing of the ITZC was. Ran out of N.E. trades at 2300, picked up S.E. trades at 0400. 19 days 20 hours was our crossing. A dream passage, except when we passed our friends within 1/4 mile.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 14:00   #7

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

You could head south with the Baja Haha cruisers rally. Leaving San Diego on October 28th. As a newbie this would let you hold hands with 100+ other boats on your way to Cabo San Lucas. Lots of people love this rally. Not our cup of tea. We don't do day care sailing.

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

Or just do it on your own and cruise Mexico as others have suggested to get your feet wet.

Cheers!
Old 21-09-2018, 14:37   #8

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmarq View Post
We are inexperienced at passageway making and would be very grateful for advice. Our boat is located in San Diego. Which routing would you recommend for French Polynesia? Do we head down the Mexican coast first? Thank you.
You need the book "ROUTES" Jimmy Cornell. The best.
Old 21-09-2018, 17:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A Rhumb line to the Marquesas works fine if you don't want to do Baja. If leaving during Hurricane season keep an eye on Tropical Depressions in the Gulf of Panama. You can hang out north of 20 degrees if a storm develops and moves west then duck south behind it. The storms that go west almost always stay between 10 and 20 degrees north latitude.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 17:43   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Start with timing.

Many boats sail a curved route to Hawaii then onwards to FP.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, san diego