Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 17:25   #1

Boat: Capital Yachts - Newport 30-2
*LOOKING* Free Liveaboard Anchorage near Delray Beach

Hello all,

I have always wanted to sail when I retire. And I just accepted a new job in Delray Beach. So I was thinking that now would be a good time to start getting my sea legs. I am 36 six and I have a few boats I am looking at, however the current owners ask me if I know where I want to anchor. And I don't.

Can anyone recommend a free Anchorage for liveaboard near Delray Beach I am trying to keep my drive time under 30mins. And I don't want to pay for a mooring or dock fee.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you in advance
Jason
Landsman_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 02:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: *LOOKING* Free Liveaboard Anchorage near Delray Beach

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jason.

See ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-157367.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 05:22   #3

Boat: Capital Yachts - Newport 30-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I did see that post what concerned me is that I am looking for long term anchorage and they seemed to be transient. I was thinking about lake Sylvia but is the post I saw a note about "Some City ordinance limits*anchoring*to 24 or 48 hours." and so I was not sure if long term live aboards would be welcomed. I am looking for somewhere to anchor and go to work daily and reanchor every few days.
Landsman_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 06:43   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

That old saying about real estate holds true here. Value (price) is all about location, location, location. Most people who want to live in a nice area with good infrastructure and easy access to good employment have to pay the going price. Trying to do an end-run around that social rule does not make too many friends.

The whole idea of free live-aboards is what's causing all the problems in Florida and Georgia now.

Now, I'm not suggesting the OP is a deadbeat with a derelict boat. But surely this idea is in conflict with those of us who use the waters for navigation. Our ancient rights are being legislated away specifically to prevent people from setting up permanent residences in anchorages.

Now, before the flames start, I'm all for long-term anchoring out in remote areas where no-one is bothered. But the sad reality is that too many popular destinations are being lost to cruisers by this conflict.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:29   #5

Maybe 60-70 years ago. Not today.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:42   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That old saying about real estate holds true here. Value (price) is all about location, location, location. Most people who want to live in a nice area with good infrastructure and easy access to good employment have to pay the going price. Trying to do an end-run around that social rule does not make too many friends.

The whole idea of free live-aboards is what's causing all the problems in Florida and Georgia now.

Now, I'm not suggesting the OP is a deadbeat with a derelict boat. But surely this idea is in conflict with those of us who use the waters for navigation. Our ancient rights are being legislated away specifically to prevent people from setting up permanent residences in anchorages.

Now, before the flames start, I'm all for long-term anchoring out in remote areas where no-one is bothered. But the sad reality is that too many popular destinations are being lost to cruisers by this conflict.
While location, location, location is the golden rule of real estate I have to point out the supply and demand curves intersection is not just a good idea; it is a law.

I am suggesting the OP is a deadbeat; even if he has a decent job and makes enough money to pay for the services he seems to be demanding for free. Who does he think will pay for the pump out services, dinghy dock, dumpsters where he will dispose of his trash, water he will need to get on his boat, and other things he wants others to pay for.

At one time, 60 or 70 years ago, there were far fewer people wanting to anchor out and far fewer people so it was easy to get by doing what the OP wants to do. But as someone who has lived in Florida for all his life I have seen how the state has grown. More to the point how how most of the water front property has been developed, some to the extent that former businesses like marinas, fish houses, and single family homes have been replaced by high rise condos.

Bottom line is the supply of anchorages the OP is looking have virtually vanished while the demand for them have exploded.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:47   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBegona View Post
I was thinking about lake Sylvia but is the post I saw a note about "Some City ordinance limits*anchoring*to 24 or 48 hours."
Stayed in Lake Sylvia for about a month and a half last year. Some people have been there for many months. The trick is they move around every week or so and anchor in a different spot.

Your real problem is where you would leave your car, have dinghy access with ability to leave your dinghy there all day. There just really isn't anywhere. You head west through two long canals to reach South Port Raw Bar and they want $10 to tie up the dinghy but it is refunded by way of drinks or food. That could get expensive. Plus you have to park your car on the street in a marked parking spot. Sometimes there simply isn't a space available.

But wait:

You could go north a shorter distance to Bahia Mar and tie up your dinghy there. Two guys I know did that and were charged $50 for dinghy tie up. Now that could get real expensive! I did it several times and just never told them, it is large enough they can't watch the whole place. I was never charged but I drank enough at their pool bar I'm confident it worked out. Your real problem here is it is a hotel and marina, no place to park without paying very high daily parking fees.

Again, that was one year ago. Things may have changed and maybe someone can chime in with more current information.
Old 17-03-2020, 09:05   #8

When the anchorages are full of full time residents who don't want to be homeless, but are too cheap to pay for a residence fill up the anchorage, where to the people that actually cruise and use the anchorages recreationally get to go?

No, you can't park you van in the middle of the park and call it 'home'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:10   #9

An alternative perspective, you would need to first find location where you can gain land access for your dinghy and your car, then work from those locations to places within dinghy commuting distance in the ICW that would allow anchoring, if any.

Specifically as to Delray Beach City Ordinance:

Sec. 92.19. - ANCHORING IN RESTRICTED AREAS.
(A)For the purpose of this Section, "restricted area" shall mean any canal, harbor or inlet opening directly into the Intracoastal Waterway, but not including the main channel of the Florida Intracoastal Waterway.
(B)It shall be unlawful for any boats which are permanently or temporarily occupied by a person, or which a person is using as a residence, to be anchored in the restricted area in the public waterways within the City, as described in Section (A) above, for more than a total of twenty-four (24) hours in any one-week period.
(Ord. No. 18-92, passed 5/26/92)

Sec. 92.20. - PRIVATE DOCKS.
Nothing contained in this Chapter shall be construed as prohibiting the anchoring or mooring of boats adjacent to private docks, whether or not located in the restricted area. This exception shall only be applicable as to boats which are being anchored or moored adjacent to a private dock with the permission of the owner of the private dock.

(Ord. No. 18-92, passed 5/26/92)

I believe you will likely find similar ordinances in all the regional waters. The ICW is intended for transiting not for staying in.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:50   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBegona View Post
Hello all,

I have always wanted to sail when I retire. And I just accepted a new job in Delray Beach. So I was thinking that now would be a good time to start getting my sea legs. I am 36 six and I have a few boats I am looking at, however the current owners ask me if I know where I want to anchor. And I don't.

Can anyone recommend a free Anchorage for liveaboard near Delray Beach I am trying to keep my drive time under 30mins. And I don't want to pay for a mooring or dock fee.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you in advance
Jason
Look for the best deal you can find on a paid mooring that has accommodation for your dingy and your car. This will be far safer than any place you might find with free mooring as such places have no security and your loses in theft will end up far greater than any mooring fees in the long run. The first thing they get will be your dingy and motor, after that they'll start stripping your electronics (but only after they've cleaned out your cockpit lockers) In the end you'll have to stay moored as you'll have no sails left.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:21   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Begonia, you are now entering the “ Twilight Zone.” America has two of them. One is called Florida and the other special one is called California. But since you are on that coast you will soon learn you have entered an alternate universe. Yes, they all speak and read your native tongue. But when it comes to the phrase “Free anchorage” a switch is flipped in many minds and all who utter such a phrase instantly are branded as less savory than themselves.

Real estate in the “twilight zone” ... along the water is generally millions. Of course being able to anchor a hundred yards off shore in your 20 thousand 28 foot Catalina would be a stroke of genius on those who valuable good bang for the buck. But my friend... so many earnest frugal people had the same thought as yours for the last 50 years that they basically ruined it for you. Now their are Imperial rules of the Republic that would even make Darth Vader proud. Bottom line... remember the line in Jimmy Buffett’s song “ born two hundreds too late, I’m an over 40 victim of fate.” (Or something close to that.). That is you and me nowadays.

Let me give you a tip. I am in the alternate Twilight Zone. But I tried to buy a boat in Florida once and didn’t. But in my due diligence I found out rather quickly that buying a boat and where to put a boat are two separate things. Buying a boat is the easy part. Where to keep it is something very hard to deal with. You have three choices. First is a marina. Many don’t want no live aboard. But with enough time and money you might find sum ting. Many marinas ‘wait lists’ for such a privilege have to do with “ not in your lifetime ... fool!” Second choice is rent space on someone’s private dock. This is a real thing in the “Parallel Universe.” It ain’t cheap. Remember these are insanely priced houses with dockage. The homeowners are picky about who and what is docked out there. Maybe you get Penelope Cruz who loves tradesmen and 30 foot single spreader boats with foot long beards on the waterline. She wants to down a couple beers every afternoon and eat cheese and salami on crackers with you after your workday. Then she asks can you fix her kitchen sink. Something got caught in the garbage disposal. Heh!!! It is an alternate universe we are in so don’t be so condensing.

Your third choice is anchoring. Do you think that the Imperial Star Troopers take their job seriously? Let me ask you this. If you were getting paid 100K a year to run around in a boat wearing shorts and a gun and you didn’t have to pay for gas or maintenance... and pretty girls in bikinis... and no one is trying to shoot your arse... and all you had to do was write tickets and shoot the sh!t with a bunch of boaters... would you make sure you did your job? You can bet your sweet bippy those boys and girls do their job. You ain’t getting away with much.

Do not buy a boat until you practice due diligence. Florida is all over the anchoring, marinas, taxation, dingies, and pollution. Welcome to the reality of boat ownership. Ain’t nothing free about it.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:29   #12

Boat: Voyage 430

Every official and every marina employee I've met in FL so far has taken a lot of money from me and made me feel like I'm being interrogated rather than treat me like a paying customer. It is very bizarre indeed.

The bad apples haven't ruined the pretty environment yet, but they sure as heck have destroyed any good will that locals may have once had for live aboard sailors.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:52   #13

Lemme guess - no insurance either. The rash of anti-anchor ordinances targeting long term anchor-outs are irritating, but I certainly get why they are gaining popularity. There comes a point where it feels like I'm paying taxes for public facilities that can no longer be enjoyed by the average person because the resources are being consumed in an irresponsible and selfish manner by folks who, at best, barely comply with laws and ordinances. Nothing could be further from a cruising boat, but unfortunately, from shore, it's hard to tell and harder to justify why bother performing regulatory scalpel work to make a differentiation. So the baby gets swept with the bathwater.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:59   #14

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

There are several free, excellent anchorage is in the West Palm Beach area. Look around Peanut Island in the satellite photos. Look around the relatively new West Palm Beach city docs in the same satellite photo. They are Anchoring restrictions that I’m aware of.

Water is available at Phil Foster Park and West Palm Beach city dock. They both seem to be free. Pumpout Is available At the marina adjacent to blue Heron Bridge and also at the marina adjacent to West Palm Beach city dock. Those pump outs are not free but they are reasonable and the dock hands are quite polite.

There is a nearly free Pump out available at Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach.It is under construction now but should be available by the time you get situated. 24 hour anchoring is available at three separate anchorage is near the intersection of Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach. Free Dingy dock access is available at veterans Park in Delray Beach during the day.

Free parking is challenging but available in both Delray Beach and near the West Palm Beach city docks. There is Dinghy dock access with parking available for a fee in Riviera Beach.

I’m not sure what more you could ask for, I lived there for several years on my cat after I sailed here from South Africa. From time to time the Marine patrol would come around And they were always polite and reasonable to deal with.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 12:32   #15

I was at Peanut Island in February and met a sailor who claimed to have been anchored off the back side for 7 years. It's a spectacular spot and not crowded - yet.
Captkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, liveaboard