Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 08:30   #1

To Charter or Not to Charter

Looking to throw up the anchor (as apposed to swallowing the anchor) and move back aboard. While working steady job lived aboard in SF bay area for 25years on 3 different vessels. McGlassen Islander 32, Columbia 36, and Tayana 37. Now a bit older thinking about operating charter on east coast. They say if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. I love the water sailing and scuba diving but dealing with stupid people may be my waterloo.
How many here have operated your sailboat as a charter? Has it been worth it? Worst case senarior? Best case story?
Insurance impact? worth it?
Thanks appreciate your sharing your wisdom and experience.

johndadiver
Johndadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13   #2

Re: To Charter or Not to Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndadiver View Post
Looking to throw up the anchor (as apposed to swallowing the anchor) and move back aboard. While working steady job lived aboard in SF bay area for 25years on 3 different vessels. McGlassen Islander 32, Columbia 36, and Tayana 37. Now a bit older thinking about operating charter on east coast. They say if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. I love the water sailing and scuba diving but dealing with stupid people may be my waterloo.
How many here have operated your sailboat as a charter? Has it been worth it? Worst case senarior? Best case story?
Insurance impact? worth it?
Thanks appreciate your sharing your wisdom and experience.

johndadiver
John:

When you are skippering a charter, due realize it is ALL about dealing with people. It becomes in essence their boat, not your boat, their schedule, not your schedule, their quirks and fancies, not your choices. You are there to entertain and make the journey fun and memorable for them [and of course safe] not for you. You are there to clean up and feed and keep watch at all times. You are there to teach and if necessary to correct their ways but also to be accommodative of differences.

I have not skippered a charter operation but I have often skippered for invited friends and family. I adjust my sailing and my journey to deal with the vagaries of most challenging person or persons I have welcomed aboard. That may be a person who is afraid of the water and nervous of heeling over in which case we reef and maintain a level boat; it maybe a person that becomes motion sick; it maybe a person which is on a tight schedule, it might be a "stupid" person, or a misadventurous person, or a person lacking common sense, or a novice on the water. It maybe a person who does not swim or is sun sensitive. It maybe a person with certain significant medical or psychological issues. It can involve, a person of different culture, religion, language. Or it could be completely the opposite where the passengers are much more skilled or experienced or capable then you. Some may be wanting to lead and give commands, others are willing to be lead and to take commands.

It could be dealing with persons of different agendas, desires or capabilities. One could be physically challenged, others less so.

It could be persons that do not get along well together, having interpersonal issues between them, or between you and them. A boat gets very small and crowded when amongst such. Think family reunions and all that entails.

Once a person has been welcomed aboard, the task of maintaining the welcomeness can become burdensome.

A welcome is a kind of greeting designed to introduce a person to a new place or situation, and to make them feel at ease. The term can similarly be used to describe the feeling of being accepted on the part of the new person.
In some contexts, a welcome is extended to a stranger to an area or a household. "The concept of welcoming the stranger means intentionally building into the interaction those factors that make others feel that they belong, that they matter, and that you want to get to know them". It is also noted, however, that "in many community settings, being welcoming is viewed as in conflict with ensuring safety. Thus, welcoming becomes somewhat self-limited: 'We will be welcoming unless you do something unsafe'". Different cultures have their own traditional forms of welcome, and a variety of different practices can go into an effort to welcome:

On the other end, each passenger could be wonderfully fun, engaging, considerate and capable. A joy and a blessing.

Some you would welcome back, some you would wish to be relegated to being cargo and others you wish could become flotsam, or fish you could catch and release.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 13:18   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: To Charter or Not to Charter

Ive worked off and on as a charter captain since 1994. Ive run my own boats and others. Its been good for me. However, its not for everybody.

I suggest you take a gig as a charter captain short term before making any major comitments. See if its for you.

Commercial insurance can be much higher than recreational use insurance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter