Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07   #1

Solomon Islands.. The real south pacific ?

Hello Fellow Adventurers! I'm looking for information on the logistics of buying a sailboat in the Solomon Islands, Sailing in the area, any information needed as I have spent allot of time researching this adventure and there is very little information out there.. which is a good thing .

Would love to hear about what others have already got dialed in!

Cheers !
gypse jayme
gypsejayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Solomon Islands.. The real south pacific ?

Haven't been there for a long time, so not up to date. Fwiw, at the time we went there, if you wanted to eat it or drink it, you'd better have brought it with you. I would not count on being able to buy a boat locally there, although the locals build beautiful, easily driven canoes.

The "real South Pacific"? well, that would depend on what your thoughts on it are, really.... Depending on where you are, there is a Catholic influence (Marist brothers on Kolombangara), and a Seventh Day Adventist effort there, as well, so if "real SP" means tribal society, yes, but with an overlay of a couple hundred years of contacts, not all pleasant. Does tribal warfare exist? Certainly, to some extent. But there are also "resorts", and an eco-resort, so times are changing. How much? I guess I'm not a good enough anthropologist to answer that.

You may be able to find work there, and the pay will be low, but it is a fascinating way to experience the people, I'm sure. It is an interesting place, if your interests are in line with what they have to offer. Beautiful carvings available in Marovo Lagoon. Take lots of cash.

Ann
Old 06-09-2019, 18:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

"real South Pacific" would primarily be Polynesia.
SI is Melanesia.

There is a huge cultural difference between the two

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 18:50   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There is a sailboat for sale there? Which one? Flagged what country?

Western Province has loads of gorgeous cruising ground. Guadalcanal not so much. Choisul too has nice coves.

Fresh food is abundant and inexpensive, and canned goods and such are available only in “major” towns LOL. Seas are loaded with fish, and coconut crabs still common.

Charts, including electronic, are “for general reference only”. Many uncharted reefs. A live aboard local guide will know the waters.

Sharks and salties are common. Be cautious.

Petty theft is common. The people in general are the most friendly and accommodating in the world.

Top places to visit are Tulagi for wreck diving, Gizo for nightlife, and Munda for the lovely laid back people and also some supplies.

In Munda visit the Kava Bar and meet my friend Milton. David Kera at Agnes Lodge can keep your attention for hours with his families history. To the east in Morovo Lagoon find Loyley Ngira who just built a new eco lodge.

Solomons is full of history. Knowing more of it makes a visit so much more fulfilling. Aside from war history, read Mytingers 1920s book Headhunting in Solomon Islands. In many ways not much has changed. Read Read’s Last Wild Island for insight on how wonderful yet frustrating it can be to deal with the locals.

Keep in mind this isn’t Fiji or Tahiti. SI remains rustic and dangerous, with loads still to discover.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 14:54   #5

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

You’re very unlikely to find a cruising yacht for sale in SI. You might find something in Vanuatu, definitely boats for sale in Fiji. Usually for sale because people ran out of money or energy, or they ran out on each other...

Unless you’re experienced and organised, stepping onto a new boat in the area could be a nightmare - flying parts and fittings into country and paying duty on everything...

Then if you take your new boat to Australia, New Zealand or elsewhere, you’ll be paying import duty. Like most things it’s do-able but requires detailed planning and preparations.
Screw Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 17:57   #6

Boat: Herreschoff 52'

Hi gypse jayme,
I agree with Screw Loose it is very unlikely that you would find a cruising yacht for sale in Solomon Islands. Also starting cruising in SI might be a bit of a challenge.
I might have a solution for you: I'm selling my 52ft LF Herreshoff, based in Vanuatu. That is as close as it gets to Solomon Islands.
The yacht is easy to sail, very safe and sea-worthy. She is in a good condition and ready to go anywhere.
Before going to Solomon Islands I guess it would be a good idea to have some preparation practice in Vanuatu; with better charted cruising grounds and better provisioning options in Port Vila and Luganville.
If interested I can sent you pictures and specifications of the vessel.
Kind regards,
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34   #7

The Solomon's is a brilliant cruising ground. The people are interesting & welcoming. The weather is hot, & the sea is full of fish. Extend the area to the north coast of New Guinea, including New Ireland & New Britain, & you could spend years & only see half of it.

Do remember most of the area is in the doldrums. You need a good sailing boat to enjoy the sailing, or you are going to do a lot of motoring. There is not that much that is still poorly charted, although notes like, "this island reported 12 miles north east of it's charted position 1944" can be a little unnerving when making passages at night.

I found myself doing many passages at night. Many islands are 5 to 7000 Ft high, & generate a lovely cool off shore light breeze at night. This often offers better sailing in calm conditions than the regularly windless daytime.

A good supply of fishing gear & trade tobacco, to trade with the locals gave access to brilliant carvings, & plenty of fresh produce.

In 53,000 miles cruising I found the Solomons & New Guinea the best.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific