Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2019, 02:20   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
Brazil to Caribbean

Hi all,

we crossed the South Atlantic ocean from Cape Town to Ilha Grande, Brazil, where we are having the time of our life cruising around the green coast.

I'm starting to make the itinerary for the sail up to Trinidad and Tobago, planned around May. So far I have the following stops:

Rio de Janeiro
Cabo Frio
Buzios
Vitoria
Abrolhos
Porto Seguro
Santa Cruz
Santo Andre
Ilheus
Itacare
Camamu
Salvador
Barra de Sao Miguel
Maragogi
Santo Aleixo
Itamaraca
Cabedelo
Fernando
Fortaleza
Sao Luis
Ilhes do Salut
Trinidad

The goal is to make short legs when possible and see as much as we can of Brazil.

Is there any other place that I should stop (or avoid to stop)?

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
Old 17-03-2019, 03:08   #2

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)
Re: Brazil to Caribbean

Hi, I will sail the same route next year. If you mean Fernando de Noronha, it’s a must.

However how was your sailing from CT north, did you stop in Namibia? And how was the leg to St. Helena and further to Ascension? I can’t wait to go and I dare to hear from your experiences.
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:20   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Can't comment south of Cabadelo/Jacare (which was great fun ) , but north from there has a great current, best day was 70Nm from current alone. With sailing so good I did Isle De Salut in one hit from Jacare.
Suriname worth a look IMHO, up the river to Domburg then 4 days up to Tobago.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 04:12   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Can't comment south of Cabadelo/Jacare (which was great fun ) , but north from there has a great current, best day was 70Nm from current alone. With sailing so good I did Isle De Salut in one hit from Jacare.
Go past Domburg to Waterland Marina and Resort. Really great place and people. Domburg was really disappointing and so were the people at the "yacht club"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0820.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	188210  
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 11:13   #5
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
Hi, I will sail the same route next year. If you mean Fernando de Noronha, it’s a must.

However how was your sailing from CT north, did you stop in Namibia? And how was the leg to St. Helena and further to Ascension? I can’t wait to go and I dare to hear from your experiences.
You have to stop in Namibia, it's beautiful. If you are interested in learning more about the crossing, go to https://sailingoroboro.com/https://sailingoroboro.com/

You will also find an excerpt of my logbook here: https://sailingoroboro.com/2019/02/1...tlantic-ocean/

And yes, Fernando de Noronha is a must.
Old 17-03-2019, 11:20   #6
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
What month of the year and can you show your track?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 19:15   #7
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
Go past Domburg to Waterland Marina and Resort. Really great place and people. Domburg was really disappointing and so were the people at the "yacht club"
Thanks! We'll check it out!
Old 03-09-2019, 23:59   #8

Hi B4A, thanks for your feedback. We plan to leave CapeTown around Sept15 in order to arrive in the Caribbean mid Nov. Following Jimmy Cornell’s wind charts it seems to be the appropriate time.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29   #9
B4A

Hi Nelson,

watch the weather in Cape Town. Stop in Luderitz and Walvis Bay in Namibia if you can. There is a ghost town near Luderitz that it's worth visiting. Also, leaving from Walvis Bay you'll get a better wind angle.

If you can, visit Southern Ropes in Cape town, it's a great place to upgrade or replace your sheet. You will never find better price and quality anywhere else in the world.

Where do you intend to make landfall in Brazil?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:51   #10

Thanks for your thoughts. Indeed I have planned to stop in both places in Namibia. Isn’t it smart to keep first northerly after leaving Walvis? I saw some underwater mountains on the straight way Walvis-St. Helena and had the idea that it might cause rough seas. What do you recommend? In Brazil, I only want to stop in FdN. I know the lovely coast on Brazil already but I don’t to get involved in the current fuss.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. Indeed I have planned to stop in both places in Namibia. Isn’t it smart to keep first northerly after leaving Walvis? I saw some underwater mountains on the straight way Walvis-St. Helena and had the idea that it might cause rough seas. What do you recommend? In Brazil, I only want to stop in FdN. I know the lovely coast on Brazil already but I don’t to get involved in the current fuss.
I left from Luderitz and stuck fairly close to the rhumbline to St Helena, no problems, uneventful sail.

We went to Salvador then Capedelo. Fast run up Brazil coast due to current.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:07   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

B4A. Do you plan to arrive in Trinidad in June? That is the beginning of hurricane season, June through November. Many sailors hang out on the southern end of the islands or leave their boats in Chaguaramos, Trinidad. Land Tour the islands from Power Boats in Chaguaramos with Jessie James at Members Only tours.
Taste of Trinidad
Scarlet Ibis
Humming birds
Steel Pan
Weekly runs to the mall and fresh markets

We launch in November along with many others. Great community in the yard. Great street food outside of the fence. I bicycle to a national park most mornings before it gets hot.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:04   #13
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
B4A. Do you plan to arrive in Trinidad in June? That is the beginning of hurricane season, June through November. Many sailors hang out on the southern end of the islands or leave their boats in Chaguaramos, Trinidad. Land Tour the islands from Power Boats in Chaguaramos with Jessie James at Members Only tours.
Taste of Trinidad
Scarlet Ibis
Humming birds
Steel Pan
Weekly runs to the mall and fresh markets

We launch in November along with many others. Great community in the yard. Great street food outside of the fence. I bicycle to a national park most mornings before it gets hot.
We are planning to arrive mid October. Can you recommend a place where I can haul out to have the bottom done? I also need to replace a floor panel (under warranty).
Old 06-09-2019, 14:10   #14
B4A

Quote:
You are referring to the Valdiva sea mountains? Those are more south. When you leave Walvis, you keep northerly to get to St Helena. You can't skip that!
Old 06-09-2019, 14:44   #15

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

We liked Santo Andre, but the entrance is tricky. You will probably be ok with a shallow draft cat. There was a local there screaming and jestering from the beach with directions. We did not run aground, but another boat did as we were leaving. It is best to enter when there isn't a big swell running.

Camamu is a great place, one of the best we found in Brazil.

Pete Hills guides in e-book format are the better than any of the other guides. They are on Amazon for cheap.

Be very careful North of Camamu. We were boarded and robbed at gunpoint in Maragojipe.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil, Caribbean, rib