Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 10:20   #1

Boat: Nauticat38
Salt spray rated roof solar panels

Hey all, I am sure this information is out there, but I'm having trouble locating it so I thought I'd ask the hivemind. Has anyone out there used the larger roof rated solar panels with a salt resistant rating successfully on their sailboat?
I'm specifically considering 3- 300w. 2-1/2 by 5 foot Canadian Solar panels across an arch over my dinghy davits.
The appeal of getting 900 watts of solar for right around $600 seems too good to be true...
https://webosolar.com/store/en/grid-...hoCEl0QAvD_BwE
Old 16-09-2019, 16:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Salt spray rated roof solar panels

Get the shipping quote before you get too excited.

Also, account for 40+lbs each

Nice specs though, would match perfectly with a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 each, or the 100/50 if you just wanted one SC.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 16:24   #3

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We use two Panasonic 330 watt hard panels over our bimini. They have done fine for the last three years. No issues with salt or performance. Not warrantied for marine use. We cruised the East Coast, Bahamas, DR, PR and the Virgin Islands without issue. I took them down in July for hurricane storage.

I created a rack for our bimini and arch. I was worried about the weight of the panels straining the frame, but the stiffness of the panels reduces any flex.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 17:28   #4

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Hey all, I am sure this information is out there, but I'm having trouble locating it so I thought I'd ask the hivemind. Has anyone out there used the larger roof rated solar panels with a salt resistant rating successfully on their sailboat?
I'm specifically considering 3- 300w. 2-1/2 by 5 foot Canadian Solar panels across an arch over my dinghy davits.
The appeal of getting 900 watts of solar for right around $600 seems too good to be true...
https://webosolar.com/store/en/grid-...hoCEl0QAvD_BwE
I've been using a Canadian Solar 265w panel for almost a year on my boat and it's a great panel. It's much better than my older Siemens panels, especially on cloudy days and at dusk and dawn, when it still puts out amps when the Siemens panels stop making power. I can't see how an installation on a boat is more harsh than a rooftop on the beach. These panels are made to last or they wouldn't have a 25-year warranty.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 18:37   #5

Awesome! I was very much leaning towards those panels until! speaking with a person that sells them, he flat out told me no!
I thought you did at least be able to silicone corners and replace the electrical wiring.
Thanks all for the replies, anybody have any luck utilizing their boat as a second home for the federal solar tax credit here in the US?
SailingAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 08:08   #6

Boat: Baba 40

As a side note, I was doing a little shopping for upgrades to my panels (Solar Land) and noticed some of the panels from “overseas “ are now subject to a 30% tariff.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 08:11   #7

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

SunPower warrants marine installations for 12 years.

Their salt rating is far worse than you'll see if the panels aren't at the water level...

As to the solar tax credit, they specify marine and mobile installations as qualifying. I have 3K unused (and likely never to be used) credit...

I have 2x360W which fit in almost the same footprint as my prior 3 Kyocera 120W (circa 2006).

If you're in the US I can lead you to the product manager at Sunpower and then he to your local district manager to get an installer (in our case, tiny installation cost as we were helping - and didn't even actually need their help, other than their installations are warranteed and mine would not be). If anyone wants it, I can send the entire correspondence stream of that exercise (which started with my thinking I wanted 2x435W but those would have been too much for my controller), showing who, where, when, how, and how much. If you want it, email (NOT PM) me skipgundlach@gmail.com subject line Solar Upgrade, and I'll send it along.

In the meantime, here's a link to the visuals of my upgrade:

Pictures: Flying Pig 2015-2018 Shake-and-Break-Down/Electrical Upgrade/Solar
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 13:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I used the solar tax credit, worked great, of course it included new battery bank and new wiring for the boat, about $50,000 in the end, my squeaky clean accountant did not have any problem with it.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 13:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have had four 250W Canadian Solar panels for about four years with no problem so far.
I know nothing of a tax credit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 14:11   #10

I would love to hear all that you were able to include if you don't mind sharing. When you say new wiring, are we talking about new wiring for everything? What are the components of the electrical system where you able to throw in?
Old 17-09-2019, 14:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have had four 250W Canadian Solar panels for about four years with no problem so far.
I know nothing of a tax credit.
Sold! I just wish they were a little bit less wide, I could sneak one more in.
Old 17-09-2019, 16:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

To add a new bigger battery battery bank, I had to move it to the rear lazarrett, had to build new battery boxes and hold downs along with outside vents and fans. this required big heavy wiring back to the panel, while at that we rewired the panel and whole boat. installed a inverter charger along with a solar controller, then the mounts for the solar panels. I didn't add a rear arch but that would have been part of it also. I put my panels on the life lines which had to be raised up and made solid stainless tubing. I also counted all my labor.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 21:16   #13

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
I would love to hear all that you were able to include if you don't mind sharing. When you say new wiring, are we talking about new wiring for everything? What are the components of the electrical system where you able to throw in?
Here's a link about the Credit. It is available for primary and secondary residences (your boat if it qualifies).

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...your-boat.html

I am in the middle of a new install and will include anything that was necessary to install the panels, from nuts and bolts to wire, terminals and mounting brackets.

If you were to hire out an installation, you would pay for all that and labor. So a DIY can write that off, but not the labor.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, salt, solar, solar panels