Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 10:20   #1

On the hook, anchored, vs marinas

Is it tough to find a full-time liveaboard in Marina? Also if I can't find one right off the bat Is it feasible to live off the hook or anchored and just use a dinghy for my supplies back and forth or whenever I want to go on land? Or is it more feasible to find a marina that might not allow live aboard but maybe a couple of days a week and take the boat out and anchor it the rest of the days and just bring a 37 foot sailboat in and out of my slip to get supplies or does that sound like a hassle.? I would love to live in a full-time liveaboard Marina. I guess what I'm wondering is what are my liveaboard options?
T.M.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:22   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: On the hook, anchored, vs marinas

Some marinas allow liveaboards, some don't. Some also live aboard on a mooring and dinghy in/out as needed (I've known some that do it every day to go to work, rain or shine, usually paying a marina for a spot to dock their dinghy and keep their car).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:31   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Not that difficult to find a marina in which to live aboard. When we were living aboard our 54 ft DeFever, we tried several marinas in the San Diego area and found four marinas that accepted live aboards. This was several years ago but my guess there are still a fair number. The problem has always been if there are any spaces available. It is a pretty tight market !
Capt phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:44   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

It depends on location and how you need to live. If you're still tied to land (job, etc.) then you're probably going to find it difficult. Not that you can't live like that, but it likely means you're close to urban areas with lots of people. It will be hard to find a safe, unclaimed anchorage.

Lots of us live extended periods on the boat, either at anchor or underway. But if you're tied to a shore life, it will be more difficult.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.E. View Post
Is it tough to find a full-time liveaboard in Marina? Also if I can't find one right off the bat Is it feasible to live off the hook or anchored and just use a dinghy for my supplies back and forth or whenever I want to go on land? Or is it more feasible to find a marina that might not allow live aboard but maybe a couple of days a week and take the boat out and anchor it the rest of the days and just bring a 37 foot sailboat in and out of my slip to get supplies or does that sound like a hassle.? I would love to live in a full-time liveaboard Marina. I guess what I'm wondering is what are my liveaboard options?
It is an unanswerable question without knowing where you are. I am sure it happens somewhere, but I know of nobody who rents a slip, and moves a boat in and out to comply with the local limitations on nights aboard in the marina.

In some places it is easy to find a liveaboard marina, in others it is impossible. Most places it is just hard.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:05   #6

Sorry, I should have said where. Pensacola, Florida.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Panhandle area of Fl is one of the best places in the world to get a good, inexpensive live aboard slip.
Does it have to be Pensacola or could you move some?

Also and this will be real controversial, but in my opinion it can be just as cheap to live in an inexpensive marina, and by that I mean by the time you add up the cost of a good dinghy and motor, a good Solar system and a battery bank large enough to power everything and replacement and maintenance costs.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:52   #8

I could move roun. I'm researching ��
Old 11-03-2020, 14:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have not been, but there is a real good live aboard Marina in Carrabelle I think or close by, not sure.
We left a few years ago but if I remember correctly we were paying about $300 a month for a Slip in Panama City in the city Marina, power was metered and you paid the power bill directly so no marina markup.

PC was really heavily hit so I don’t there are Many Marina’s but I feel certain that $300 should get you a slip in a decent Marina in that area.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:56   #10

Boat: csy 37

second that on carabelle. also think there are slips along the appalachicola river near the gulf.

farher away and on a different coast, there are liveaboard slips available in daytona beach at halifax harbor marina.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marinas