Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 12:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 40
Lagoon 40 - Reef Line Chafe

I recently bought a new Lagoon 40 (Hull 45), and sailed her back from France to the BVI. I absolutely love the boat - it has performed extremely well, and almost 5,000 miles its had a good sea trial! I am seeking other Lagoon 40 owners - admittedly there aren't too many out there yet, to see if they are having chafe problems with the single-line reefing system. on our transatlantic trip, we chafed a few lines quite quickly. The issue seems to be very close tolerances at the boom sheave (mast end), combined with some tight angles between the sheave, carbon ring on the sail, and fairlead on the mast. I have found a solution that seems to work by adding a block, but i am interested in hearing from other owners to see if this is a common issue or a "one off".

Thanks!
Neil
S/V Midnight Sun III
https://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/
Home
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 06:57   #2

Re: Lagoon 40 - Reef Line Chafe

Exactly our problem same location and also second chafe now inside boom. We've only sailed 100 nm out of Les Sables d Olonne. Met
Up with force 8 winds almost on the nose...great maiden voyage..
What did lagoon do for you under their warranty ?
Cheers
Pixie
LillyPilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:31   #3

I replaced the line in A Coruna and Lagoon replaced it again in Cascais. They told me that when reefing, keep the carbon block 5-6in above the ring on the mast. But that didn't work and we chaffed another line. My solution was attach a small block to the ring on the mast. If you are interested, send me a PM with email and i will send you photos. THis solved our problem and we have not had to change the line sine (now 8,000 miles later).

Sounds like you may be making a similar trip to us? If so, you may be interested in our trip - here's a link to a series of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CVeu-DfE4bTvGPQCiv6wtwW97KFcsYn

Good luck! Fair Winds!
Neil
Old 20-08-2020, 12:24   #4

Hello Neil
Thank you for speedy and helpful reply.
Would appreciate photos you mentioned . Will you email me at
pixiennigel@gmail.com
Thanks.
Will enjoy swapping sea stories with you
Cheers
Pixie and Nigel
SY 🍾. Champagne 🥂 Moment
Old 22-08-2020, 02:40   #5

Hi again Neil. If you would be so kind email us pictures to. pixiennigel@gmail.com

Thanks
Old 25-03-2021, 16:53   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
I recently bought a new Lagoon 40 (Hull 45), and sailed her back from France to the BVI. I absolutely love the boat - it has performed extremely well, and almost 5,000 miles its had a good sea trial! I am seeking other Lagoon 40 owners - admittedly there aren't too many out there yet, to see if they are having chafe problems with the single-line reefing system. on our transatlantic trip, we chafed a few lines quite quickly. The issue seems to be very close tolerances at the boom sheave (mast end), combined with some tight angles between the sheave, carbon ring on the sail, and fairlead on the mast. I have found a solution that seems to work by adding a block, but i am interested in hearing from other owners to see if this is a common issue or a "one off".

Thanks!
Neil
S/V Midnight Sun III
https://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/
Home

I had a long long write up on my Lagoon 42, and my deep hate of The Catamaran Company, who delivered the boat in poor condition.
See that here:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ny-246684.html

As I say in there, I had reef 1 and 2 both damaged badly from one voyage across the Atlantic, and they needed replacement.

I also had severe damage to the main halyard.

Does anyone notice that?
When the sail was raised, the line rubbed on the block when up top, and almost cut through. I had to buy a new block with a more smooth profile, and I keep an eye on it.
No warranty for me apparently, because The Catamaran Company don't stand behind their sales.
manisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:00   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
I replaced the line in A Coruna and Lagoon replaced it again in Cascais. They told me that when reefing, keep the carbon block 5-6in above the ring on the mast. But that didn't work and we chaffed another line. My solution was attach a small block to the ring on the mast. If you are interested, send me a PM with email and i will send you photos. THis solved our problem and we have not had to change the line sine (now 8,000 miles later).

Sounds like you may be making a similar trip to us? If so, you may be interested in our trip - here's a link to a series of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CVeu-DfE4bTvGPQCiv6wtwW97KFcsYn

Good luck! Fair Winds!
Neil
I personally installed block in any place that Lagoon put only a ring.
The reefing lines have long convoluted paths the generate a lot of friction and any change that goes to diminish that will save chafe.
As to the main halyard, it is advisable to ensure that the block on the top of the mainsail (on the sail, not on the mast) is in fixed position and not swivelling. It may seem counter-intuitive but the swivelling introduces twist to the halyard, then chafe and then disaster. You may guess how do I know this...
Old 11-04-2021, 02:56   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I personally installed block in any place that Lagoon put only a ring.
The reefing lines have long convoluted paths the generate a lot of friction and any change that goes to diminish that will save chafe.
As to the main halyard, it is advisable to ensure that the block on the top of the mainsail (on the sail, not on the mast) is in fixed position and not swivelling. It may seem counter-intuitive but the swivelling introduces twist to the halyard, then chafe and then disaster. You may guess how do I know this...
fixed mainsail block will be under severe pressure when broadreaching ? Or you do not tighten main halyard ?

I also have locked block but added extra short soft shackle to take broadreaching twist. Observed that issue with stabilizing binoculars.

We replaced reefing lines with dyneema and inserted/spliced extra dyneema into rope so that clutch holds.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:32   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
fixed mainsail block will be under severe pressure when broadreaching ? Or you do not tighten main halyard ?

I also have locked block but added extra short soft shackle to take broadreaching twist. Observed that issue with stabilizing binoculars.

We replaced reefing lines with dyneema and inserted/spliced extra dyneema into rope so that clutch holds.
The extra soft shackle seems an idea to try.
Does it still allow for a tight luff?
But the problem you mention did not give us trouble in the past (the free swivel did!). We do tighten the sheet as long as the boom is within the traveler range, but never had problem with the block being chafed or broken. When the boom goes out of the traveler, it is done by easing the sheet (not a position I like as the Lagoon does not have a vang to keep the boom in proper vertical angle).
I will look up again at the sail head under pressure. May be the luff of our sail is short enough to give the block little freedom of twisting even when the sail is fully raised and tight and the sheet tightened.
As for the reefing lines, we went one size down from Lagoon recommendations, keeping to polyester. This lessened the friction considerably, and the clutches still catch the lines properly. I believe that the thinner line is safe enough, at least in the conditions we sail.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The extra soft shackle seems an idea to try.
Does it still allow for a tight luff?
But the problem you mention did not give us trouble in the past (the free swivel did!). We do tighten the sheet as long as the boom is within the traveler range, but never had problem with the block being chafed or broken. When the boom goes out of the traveler, it is done by easing the sheet (not a position I like as the Lagoon does not have a vang to keep the boom in proper vertical angle).
I will look up again at the sail head under pressure. May be the luff of our sail is short enough to give the block little freedom of twisting even when the sail is fully raised and tight and the sheet tightened.
As for the reefing lines, we went one size down from Lagoon recommendations, keeping to polyester. This lessened the friction considerably, and the clutches still catch the lines properly. I believe that the thinner line is safe enough, at least in the conditions we sail.
i have 14x stabilizing binocular and observed fixed block when broadreaching. There was twisting force on block and chafing main halyard increasing with luff tension. Preventatively added soft shackle to take 1/2 twist. Probably worth looking at.

I use soft dyneema shackle made of 6mm dyneema and around 15 cm long. Join block and sail but i put in 3 loops so height 'lost' is around 4 cm. As sail luff gets longer with time I observe when luff tensioned and at this point looks okay.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:04   #11

I don't use the lock on the block, but have secured it in a semi locked position with a heavy duty zip tie (which I keep an eye on and replace regularly). This allows a little twist but holds it in a fore-aft position. But yes, I agree with merriba - allowing it to swivel does cause chafe. We saw this on other boats that didn't lock it or secure it and had bad results. The chafe issue comes from the use of electric winches which always twists the halyard (or any line for that matter that is used in an electric winch). We try our best to "untwist" lines regularly.

Tags
lagoon