Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 05:22   #1

Boat: Liberty 28
Repowering 28' Sailboat

Going out there on a "limb".

I am refitting my Liberty 28 (full keel, double ender, tiller) which I was fortunate to find and purchase. The engine (Westerbeke W27) was pulled out for checking and possible rebuild. In removing the engine it became evident that servicing this one while at sea/anchor/marina, is quite an "adventure" because of the tight spaces. If this Westerbeke is beyond repair, a repower would be required but I can just see myself attempting to align shaft and coupling down there, among other. Option - an outboard repower. Factors I can think of:
1. Adequate size - W27 is 27HP so I believe and outboard would have to be larger to provide similar propulsion?
2. Adequate supports/bracket - outboards are smaller but heavy anyway, depending on size of course.
3. Adequate storage for fuel - changing from diesel to gasoline for the outboard.

I am aware that the looks of this little beautiful sailboat would "change" but I need to also be practical. I will not be crossing oceans but will be running around the Caribbean/Bahamas, God willing. Resale would also be affected but I am not looking at selling right now.

Any comments, ideas, please be "gentle".......Cheers to all.
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Repowering 28' Sailboat

The simplist repower will be an identical engine. All the hoses, wires, cables, and engine mounts are in place for that job. Switching types of inboard engines, paprticularly in a tight space, could become a nightmare. Switching to an outboard would be, I think, a shame. I suspect it would change her appearance not for the good, looking patched on and inappropriate for a double ender. You also are introducing gasoline. That's an unnecessary added hazard, and could require a different tank. You can check that - gasoline tanks have to lift fuel over the top, while diesel tanks can flow from the bottom.

Thinking back over several threads regarding repowering, a theme seems to be that people who are faced with this problem tend to jump toward what superficially appears to be a simple but radical change (stick an outboard on it) while not recognizing the new problems they will face. So, I guess, proceed with caution.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:44   #3

Boat: Bristol 31.1

I have owned both outboard and inboard powered boats and the problem I see with outboards is that as the stern rises in a seaway or chop, the prop being positioned at the stern can lift out of the water unless the outboard is mounted in a well. Also, outboards are vulnerable to theft. My personal preference would be an inboard. 27 hp seems alot for a 28 footer. 20 hp may be adequate and would be a smaller unit, allowing more room to work around it.
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:19   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

It's not the length of the boat that matters but the displacement. That is what the engine needs to push. For a cruiser, 2hp. per 1000lbs. of displacement would be average. If i were coming up the North American Pacific Coast where it is almost always against a current and wind, I would welcome 3hp. per 1000lbs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:44   #5

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

It depends on whether you are a sailor or a motorsailor.

If you will only depend on a motor to get in and out of harbors, under bridges and to perform similar chores, an outboard is fine. But that means you have to put up with going nowhere in calms at sea, a few miles a day in light winds, going the wrong way when you're headed, etc.

Plenty have done it this way, but plenty also won't stand for it.

If you will need a motor to bail you out of tight spots, make miles on windless days, push you into a headwind, etc., an inboard is your only choice Becoming a yoga devotee is good practice for working on diesels on small sailboats ...
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:34   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
It depends on whether you are a sailor or a motorsailor.

If you will only depend on a motor to get in and out of harbors, under bridges and to perform similar chores, an outboard is fine. But that means you have to put up with going nowhere in calms at sea, a few miles a day in light winds, going the wrong way when you're headed, etc.

Plenty have done it this way, but plenty also won't stand for it.

If you will need a motor to bail you out of tight spots, make miles on windless days, push you into a headwind, etc., an inboard is your only choice Becoming a yoga devotee is good practice for working on diesels on small sailboats ...
This is pretty good advice.

My first 5 sailboats were engineless.

The last 4 were beach cats that I raced in races up to 100 miles mostly along the Gulf Coast and in Mississippi TVA Lakes. I did this for almost 15 years some years 10 months out of the year.

The boat I have now has a 5 hp 4 stroke outboard. My boat displaces 6600 lbs. Your boat 12,000 so I'm thinking a 9.9 outboard would work perfectly for you.

I can motor up to 5 knots in favorable conditions with my 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury plus I have the integral tank so many times I don't even connect to the external tank. I can also put the outboard on the dinghy motor mount on the stern rail. (I plan to do this at the start of my long distance cruises to keep the outboard safe and out of breaking waves)

The diesel I removed from my boat was a 352 lb Bukh 10 HP and my 57 lb 5 hp outboard can push the boat just as fast. My outboard has the 25" extra long shaft and it was bought new in 2011. The Bukh was a 1974.

But like the poster says above, are you a sailor or motor sailor?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:14   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

An outboard has a lot of advantages, but powering long distances or in choppy seas won't be on the list. If you can live with that, then why not? It will be a lot cheaper. You won't need more than 15 hp, I'd think.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:27   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

The Liberty 28 has a canoe stern, thus making an outboard attachment problematic. The W 28 engine is already there, although probably a replacement engine. Rebuilding this engine probably is the most economical process. It also allows the boat to have her basic original design in tact, good for resale.

Sailing engineless is fine for those of that nature. A small dinghy with a small outboard motor will deal with calms and harbors.

Good luck. My boating mantra is to never really deviate from the designers basic plan....he certainly knows a lot more about design than I.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:47   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I push a heavy (ten-ton) 31' pilot cutter with a high-thrust Yamaha outboard. It's worked in 12,000 miles of cruising across twelve countries. There is the problem of lifting the prop out in chop: it's about the only problem I have, and it's manageable. Motor's ten years old now, started on the second pull this morning (first pull gets the gas through--I usually run it dry after use). I can unship it for service or winter storage (often do), and I can work on it without contortions.
If you go for it, be sure to glass up the giant cutout in the sternpost and rudder--your boat will sail much better without them there.
Old 08-09-2020, 17:54   #10

Boat: S2 9.1

The Westerbekes are pretty decent engines and should be fine with a proper rebuild. It will be the cheapest and easiest solution, they tend to physically be big engines but access has worked till now.

An outboard on a canoe stern would not be pretty.

Good luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 19:24   #11

Your displacement is 6 tons. You can get by with 2 HP per ton, though it's marginal. 4 HP per ton is considered appropriate these days. Thus 4 x 6 equaling 24 suggests that a 25HP engine would be appropriate, although you could easily get by with 20HP.

A brand new BETA20 would essentially drop straight in where the Westerbeke sat because BETA will supply bespoke mounts to make the conversion a piecacake. The BETA has the advantage over many others that ALL the bits you need to get at are getatable from the front rather than the side. Pull you companionway ladder and Bob's yer uncle.

BETA are straight-up industrial engines with the marine cooling system hung on. This means that parts are plentiful, ubiquitous and cheap.

A BETA20 professionally installed would cost you about $15K. DIY would come to $9K or a tad more.

You'll need about a 16Dx13P(R) prop, but run the numbers through a prop calculator if you chose a new engine.

So if you have qualms about your old Westie, why not just spend the money?

As someone else said, hanging an O/B on the stern of a double-ender is awkward and is likely to lead to grief.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 19:59   #12

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Looking at pictures of a Liberty 28, in order to clear that barn door rudder, the outboard would have to be at least four feet behind the back of the boat.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:08   #13

Well, no. An outboard bracket can be mounted forward of the sternpost on the side of the hull. That has sometimes been done, kluge tho it is. Boat handling under power is then, obviously, problematic.

So, Commander, swallow hard, empty your wallet and either rebuild the Westie or buy a newer, better, more easily serviced engine.

Whichever way ye go, best o' luck te ye :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:52   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have an outboard on my 29' and though it works fine for me, I am fully aware that unless, as was mentioned, it is in a well, it is less than preferable for the majority of boats. And would be especially so in your case with a double-ender. Though you have a heavyish boat, the 27 hp seems high to me too. Ideally you could find a smaller engine with the same footprint, but that may be too much to hope for. A Westerbeke expert would be one to find now, if you can afford to re-power. Are there any ways to make the shaft area more accessible by cutting in some access holes possibly? (I say this because the models of my own boat that had inboards had ways to add access by mounting hatch in the cockpit floor and/or cutting access holes into the bulkheads under the cockpit too.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:21   #15

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I used a Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke extra long shaft on the transom of a 26 foot keel boat for years. Worked really well for me and on a calm day she'd easily push the boat along at about 4.5 knots. If it wasn't calm then there was wind and I would sail. Always sail if I can. I could go 6 miles with the little internal fuel tank.

The only negative was I missed an alternator, but adapted. And I know a number of people with no motor whatsoever and just a couple of big oars and they're happy.

For steering I used the tiller as normal. I had the outboard setup so that it was fixed in line with the boat's keel. I've seen many outboards mounted on the side of the boat because of transom issues. Doesn't appear to be an issue, although I've no personal experience of this.

At the end of the day it's all about your own preferences (and budget).

Eventually I did repower with a second hand 14hp diesel 2 cylinder inboard. It was very expensive but gave me piece of mind. But it wasn't through any dissatisfaction with the outboard (which still sits proudly in my garage).

I'll end with this. Virtually anyone I've ever heard use the argument that petrol on a boat isn't a safe option has a little petrol outboard on the back of their dinghy with a spare can of gasoline stored on the mother ship.

Tags
boat, repower, sail, sailboat