Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 11:49   #1

Circumnavigation Boat

I am looking to solo-circumnavigate from age 65 to about 70. I sailed a lot and as a refresher, I crossed the Atlantic about 2 years ago. I would like not to spend more than $200K including purchase and initial “refit”. I am focusing on a “Amel Super Maramu 53”, but I would love to share your thoughts. Thank you so much,
cdepret57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 17:14   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Circumnavigation Boat

We found that the average boat size we saw in the more obscure parts of our circumnavigation was about 40', generally with a husband/wife crew. The Amel is a terrific boat and go for it if you want but no real need to go that big. Whatever you choose make sure that basic systems, eg ground tackle/windlass, sail handling are suitable for an older person (I can say that since I am 72). Many boats are built with winches, for example, better suited to a young, strong person. There are lots of suitable boats to choose from. We used a Bristol 45.5 and really liked it, furling main was a big help.
Old 27-08-2020, 20:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepret57 View Post
I am looking to solo-circumnavigate from age 65 to about 70. I sailed a lot and as a refresher, I crossed the Atlantic about 2 years ago. I would like not to spend more than $200K including purchase and initial “refit”. I am focusing on a “Amel Super Maramu 53”, but I would love to share your thoughts. Thank you so much,
You want to SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATE in a 53' boat???

Have you ever single-handed any sailboat?
Of any size? Offshore? Ever?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 20:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Your budget is way low for a 53' if you are super handy like this guy on here from Michigan with like a 58 or 64 or something, maybe you can swing it.

But you want to get yourself something like a Valiant 42. I assume those must be much cheaper than Amel 53.
Probably 1/2 the price to rerig a Valiant 42 than an Amel 53!
Old 29-08-2020, 00:09   #5

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

@littlewing77
What do you seem to find wrong with the guy wanting to circumnavigate on a 53ft Amel?
I take it he wants to spend 5 years zipping around the globe at his own pace on a very capable boat that's well suited for singlehanding...I think he's got the right idea as long as he's physically fit and in good health at this time....although things can turn for the worst at anytime.
His allocated budget however is a little on the light side imho.
I've been single handing my 72ft Frers steel hulled ketch for 12 years now and have not had any serious issues that I couldn't handle, she's totally "handraulic" on all winches, excluding anchor winch of course.
I do have a monster of a bow thruster which makes docking so much easier.
The lazy jacks on main and mizzen with 3 reefs on each, 100% genoa, stay sail and storm sail on its own track has me covered for most scenarios.
Plan ahead, double check everything before you untie the lines and make sure your weather window is there.
Having sat internet helps a tremendous amount to stay in touch and have constant weather updates.
I'm now 67 and getting ready to cut loose again....
Old 29-08-2020, 01:43   #6

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

I see no reason why an experienced sailor couldn't single-hand a Super Maramu. However, a slightly smaller, older Amel would be more within the budget and easier to maneuver, especially dock, singlehanded. Having some funds left over to upgrade the boat to spec would make life a whole lot easier. If you can find one, many older Amels have been fitted with hydraulic or electric furlers for the in-mast furling main and mizzen. This is a boon especially on the mizzen where the multi-winch-handle situation for furling and unfurling properly can be a hassle.

Best of luck.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 04:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
@littlewing77

What do you seem to find wrong with the guy wanting to circumnavigate on a 53ft Amel?

I take it he wants to spend 5 years zipping around the globe at his own pace on a very capable boat that's well suited for singlehanding...I think he's got the right idea as long as he's physically fit and in good health at this time....although things can turn for the worst at anytime.

His allocated budget however is a little on the light side imho.

I've been single handing my 72ft Frers steel hulled ketch for 12 years now and have not had any serious issues that I couldn't handle.

I'm now 67 and getting ready to cut loose again....
Wolfy,

As a current circumnavigator, perhaps you haven't seen the You Tube channel called S/V Delos - which is essentially a couple aboard a Amel Super Maramu 53' sailing around the world - all sweetness and light and fun all the time.

I don't know if you follow the Forum often, but we regularly get these questions and when the OP says "Amel Super Maramu" it generally reveals they've been watching Delos - and the associated understanding about where they are on their learning curve.

To be honest, I don't know why I feel compelled to reply to these OPs, as they drive me bananas - but if I examine my motivation, it's my earnest intention to save them from not-knowing-what-they-don't-know.

As far as your 72-ft steel ketch, I would venture that you are an anomaly. Plus, you (seem to) possess a lot more money than the average CF member, if I may say. In all my years of sailing I've met exactly *one* single-hander on a 50'+ boat. In the South Pacific. He was a New Zealander who had sailed his entire life. For the long passages, even he had taken two 20-year old women aboard as crew, to assist with boat-handling and watch-keeping.

I've sailed across two oceans and have (nowhere NEAR your sea miles) but the general trend I've experienced with long-term sailors is they trend towards smaller boats the further along they get - especially for singlehanding.

Best of luck with your next adventure and cutting loose yet again,
LittleWing77
Old 31-08-2020, 11:32   #8

Don't bother responding...You don't have to if a post drives you banana. Some people never miss an opportunity to express their feelings nobody cares about but thank you for taking the time anyway!
Old 31-08-2020, 12:38   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

I have circumnavigated with my partner in a small boat. I think your boat choice is good - but at the same time I know Amels quite well and can tell you that Super Maramu is a relatively big boat. It will be too big for some sailors, depending on many circumstances. It will be good for others though.

Another factor is that these are moderately complex boats. Complexity sometimes leads to longer stop overs to sort things out. But possibly you do not want to make longer, unexpected, stop overs.

I have some questions, but please disregard them if they are too intimate :

a) What is your otherwise sailing skill level / experience?

b) 2 years ago - how did you crossl? Solo? Crew? How big a boat? You skippered or you crewed?

c) How old are you now, and what is your mental and physical fitness level?

Wishing you all the best,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 12:54   #10

Excellent questions
a- on a scale from 1 to 10 I would say 7-8 about skills to be conservative
b- I crossed the Atlantic on a 54 catamaran sailboat with 3 friends
c- I just turned 63 - Always been a dream - I purchased my first sailboat (26') when I was about 17 and sailed from England to Spain, hot and cold days, dead or windy days. I sailed (cruised) and raced from dinghies to 65' sailboats.
Old 31-08-2020, 13:12   #11

Are you thinking about Santorin from Amel or even Smaller? The Super Maramu is bigger but has 2 power winches, has power jib and power main sail furling system, bow thruster, is solidly made, is well equipped from the get go and has a good rudder system.
Old 31-08-2020, 13:57   #12

Quote:
Excellent questions
a- on a scale from 1 to 10 I would say 7-8 about skills to be conservative
b- I crossed the Atlantic on a 54 catamaran sailboat with 3 friends
c- I just turned 63 - Always been a dream - I purchased my first sailboat (26') when I was about 17 and sailed from England to Spain, hot and cold days, dead or windy days. I sailed (cruised) and raced from dinghies to 65' sailboats.

I believe in this case you are set.

Your only hurdle is that Super Maramus tend to be in the 200-300k bracket, thus if your budget is set at 200k there is no margin for upgrades. And to circumnavigate, some upgrades and refit may be a near must (rigging?sails?).

In Martinique, where we reside when we do not reside elsewhere, there is this long wide dock just in front of the new sailing center building (first on right, as you stand facing the lagoon) ... it is full of Amels ... one of my favourite places to stroll - with my partner, licking coco floups, dreaming, (me of boats, her of ? new shoes, I think ?)

Take good care of your health and fitness.

Go for it. And enjoy the ride.

b.
Old 31-08-2020, 14:11   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

whoa.....what's with all the age bashing.....I'm in my mid 60's now....shopping for my 4th boat...gonna give it another go around....sheesh......young whippersnappers of today....just have no common curtesy anymore...like many here, the sea is mah life....don't be tellin' me whut to do wid mah life.....many folks my age still plying the ocean....many !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 14:20   #14

Yep. From looking at it the vast majority of cruisers may be in the 50-70 bracket.

Damn ... even me ...

;-)

b.
Old 31-08-2020, 16:39   #15

Quote:
Don't bother responding...You don't have to if a post drives you banana. Some people never miss an opportunity to express their feelings nobody cares about but thank you for taking the time anyway!
Okay, cool!

I tried.

Do let us know how you get on with circumnavigating by yourself in your 53' Super Maramu. It's just like driving a car!

LittleWing77

Tags
boat, circumnavigation, navigation