Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 01:20   #1

Boat: Randell Motorsailer 33
Grenada or St Vincent charter where to start etc.

I am looking for advice on a few questions... we are looking to charter a catamaran in mid December 2019 for 10 days... We have pretty experienced crew.

1. Which base to charter from, Grenada or St. Vincent?
2. Is it possible to charter one way? If so, from which charter company? And, I am assuming it is best to charter from North to South?
3. What about a one way charter from St. Lucia to Grenada? Might that be doable in 10 days???
3. Why is Sunsail no longer in St Vincent?
4. Is Sunsail's market share shrinking? Seems I am seeing the number of boats in their bases decrease in number. What charter companies are equivalent to Sunsail/Moorning in customer service/quality?

Thank you in advance for your insight.
robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 07:43   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Re: Grenada or St Vincent charter where to start etc.

There is active recent thread on this subject. Search on Grenada and you’ll probably find it. No need to start again here.

We’ve been sailing the SVGs this season. Look at Dream Yacht Charters as an alternative to the others. I have no personal experience with them but I saw a lot of their boats down there and I know they have bases in St Vincent and in Grenada.

Enjoy!
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 08:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinm View Post
I am looking for advice on a few questions... we are looking to charter a catamaran in mid December 2019 for 10 days... We have pretty experienced crew.

2. Is it possible to charter one way? If so, from which charter company? And, I am assuming it is best to charter from North to South?
3. What about a one way charter from St. Lucia to Grenada? Might that be doable in 10 days???
4. Is Sunsail's market share shrinking? Seems I am seeing the number of boats in their bases decrease in number. What charter companies are equivalent to Sunsail/Moorning in customer service/quality?

I can answer a couple of your questions.....

YES...you can charter one way.

I'm told St. Vincent to Grenada is the better sailing direction.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17   #4

Hi, will be sailing in a cat from Dream Yacht charter in 5 week! Dream Yacht charters will have more variety in terms of Catamarans - Lagoon, FPs, Bali's where Moorings and Sunsail will only have the leopards 4000, 44, 48 and 50 etc). I have been on a DYC monohull last year for a sail course. My limited experience leads me to believe that it would be a similar experience to Sunsail and/or moorings. We will be on a Saona 47 so excited to try something other than a leopard (been on Mooring Cats in the BVIs and they sail like pigs!)

Yes it is doable to do a oneway from St Vincent to Grenada. It will cost you an extra $1000 for the return delivery and what ever extra in terms of flight arrangements. It is easier to get to Grenada than st Vincent so keep that in mind. Some have done the one way from St Lucia all the way to Grenada. Stop at the Pitons and then a long sail to Bequia and then a more leisurely run down through the Grenadines in check in at Carriacou island (Grenada).

Due to logistics the one way from St Vincent was not an option so we will be beating up from Grenada, Carriacou, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Petit St Vincent and then back to St George. If weather and wind direction is cooperating we may try to get to Bequia, I have never been and hear it is not to be missed!

Not sure about the market share question but Dream Yachts seem to be having a more global presence with expanding bases of ops. Hope the information helps.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43   #5

We did a St. Lucia to Grenada charter a little over a year ago. It was an exciting trip and a bit more challenging that sailing in the BVIs. I would recommend a one-way to Grenada that time of the year - unless for some reason you like reaching into potentially high winds and swell.

You could do St. Lucia to Grenada in ten days but it would be somewhat fast paced and might be pushing it a bit. St. Vincent to Grenada would be a more relaxed charter. I'll also mention that we found the boat boys in St. Vincent to be very aggressive and have heard the same about St. Lucia (we didn't stop in St. Lucia once we left the marina). After we got into the Grenadines they were much better and helpful. So, if I were doing it again I would probably start in St. Vincent and immediately head south.

Charter company-wise we went with Horizon which has bases in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada. Can't remember what the one-way fee was but it was worth it. Horizon treated us well and I would have no problems going with them again. I have also chartered a few times through Dream Yacht Charters and would happily use them as well. I have never sailed with Sunsail or Moorings so I can't comment on them.

Have a great trip!

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:03   #6

I also did St. Vincent to Grenada with Horizon. I think the one-way fee was only $750, but that was 3 years ago. I would use Horizon again. I thought they were really professional. American has non-stops from the US into St. Vincent, so access is getting better. It was a little rough for a few years during the transition to the new airport.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 14:08   #7

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:

If you start from St-Vincent you can stay in the Grenadines.
If you start from Grenada you will end up in the Grenadines anyways
For a 10 day I would prefer St-Vincent and bring the boat back. It's about 6 hours from Petit St-Vincent to St-Vincent main Island.
Most charter compagnies are based in the Bleue Lagoon.
DYC is eating most of the smaller charter companies.
They are based in Bleu Lagoon
Barefoot offers older boats but are good at it.
They have a limited catamarans offering.

Yes it's best to sail from north to south. Trade winds are ENE most of the time
Expect 25 kts

One way charters are more expensive. They charge to bring the boat back.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:31   #8

Boat: Randell Motorsailer 33

Thank you all! We have booked Dream Yacht Charter (DYC) from Grenada as Grenada suits flights.

One reply suggested we should expect 25 knots of wind. That's a bit more than I remember from St. Vincent the last 2 times. I remember 10 to 15 except of course, the year we finished the day before Hurricane Tomas hit. Can't wait!
robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 05:34   #9

Quote:
Thank you all! We have booked Dream Yacht Charter (DYC) from Grenada as Grenada suits flights.

One reply suggested we should expect 25 knots of wind. That's a bit more than I remember from St. Vincent the last 2 times. I remember 10 to 15 except of course, the year we finished the day before Hurricane Tomas hit. Can't wait!
Hey Robinm, mind sharing how your trip goes once you get back. Been looking myself to do a least a 1 wk perhaps up to 2 wks from Grenada.

Thanks!
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 05:52   #10

Boat: Island Packet 370

We are currently waiting out the hurricane season in Grenada. While doing that we travel north to explore and when any weather shows up run back down to Grenada. From our experience there is plenty to do if you want to relax on a holiday in the waters of Grenada. You can travel up to Isle de la Ronde and spend a couple of days anchored there. Buy some lobster from the local fishermen for a gr at bbq meal. Hike the island. Move on to Sandy Island off Hillsborough for a couple of days. Stop in and visit the town. The locals are very friendly and there are good restaurants big you want a change. You can check out in Hillsborough and check into the Grenadines at Union Island then travel the short distance to Tobago Cayes and Mayreau. From there you can decide whether to continue north or take a leisurely trip back down the east side of the islands you have traveled past. Whatever you decide to do you should have a great holiday.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:17   #11

We are chartering in Grenada next week and have a customs question. How long after clearing customs must you leave? Thank you
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:12   #12

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

Will be doing my 3rd charter there in a couple of weeks. I always go St Vincent to Grenada...the winds much better in that direction. I use Horizon Yacht Charters, they are very nice and much less expensive than Dream!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelliott View Post
We are chartering in Grenada next week and have a customs question. How long after clearing customs must you leave? Thank you
I believe within 24 hours. no ones standing on the shore with a stop clock but your next port of entrance might ask questions if it is two days after you checked out. btw C&I is no longer in Hillsborough (or at least was not in operation when we where there in May 2019) have to check in and out of Grenada from Tyrell bay.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Grenada