Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 19:10   #1

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
NW Multihull Meeting, Tues Mar 3, Seattle, Electric Propulsion & Long Distance Cruisi

Please join the Northwest Multihull Association to learn about: "Low Anxiety Electric Propulsion for Long Distance Cruising" Non-Members are always welcome.

Tuesday, March 3rd

Presented by Joe Grez from www.epcarry.com

Because we use manufactured liquid fuels for propulsion, we've become fixated on capacity and range. However, by combining solar with electric, it's now practical to use the energy nature provides in real time, making range anxiety irrelevant. We will show how Solar propulsion works for practical cruising, present solar electric design rules, and show examples of successfully demonstrated designs. We will also preview a tool for predicting your own system performance that can later be used for plotting and planning your own solar cruises.

Potluck starts at 1830.
The meeting will begin around 1900. Presentation ~1915

Non-Members are always welcome. Northwest Multihull Association

Puget Sound Y.C.
2321 N. Northlake Way, Seattle
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 21:48   #2

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: NW Multihull Meeting, Tues Mar 3, Seattle, Electric Propulsion & Long Distance Cr

Bump. Meeting is tomorrow, Tuesday night. We hope you can come. See original post for details. Here's a further blurb I received about the presentation:

Joe Grez from Electric Paddle (www.epcarry.com) will present his experiences cruising in a small boat using solar power to drive an electric outboard motor. Given all the deck space multihulls have, solar power is a natural source of power; plus multihulls sensitivity to weight means the very light weight Electric Paddle is a natural driver for multihull dinghies. This means us multihullers will find much to appreciate in Joe's talk which is outlined below:
Old 13-03-2020, 09:34   #3

Boat: Lagoon 39
Re: NW Multihull Meeting, Tues Mar 3, Seattle, Electric Propulsion & Long Distance Cr

Is there an email distribution I can sign up for to hear about future meetings like these? I don't check the forum often nor have social media but would have come to this if I knew about it.

Thanks
Nick
svkiaorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 12:07   #4

Nick,

The NW Multihull Association has a website where this stuff is posted. Here is the website link. There is a wrap up on the talk on the website if you click the blue headline of the meeting announcement on the left hand column, (scroll down the page past the announcement for these minutes).

Usually we get announcements about our meetings on the website a week or 2 before the date. Our meetings are always the first Tuesday of the month, except June when we have the meeting in Port Townsend the Sunday evening before the start of the R2AK. July and August we have no meetings.

We have a google group (list serve) you can join to get meeting notifications and what ever we talk about. Its not that active but is seen by others when we do use it. I think it is or is going to be transitioned to an IO group but I'm not a techie so I don't really know about that. Send me a private message via this forum and I will get you in touch with our tech guy and he can get you on the group.

Edit to add that we have a Facebook group I guess. I don't do FB but our new commodore set it up and he ads stuff to it. I don't know what its called or how to access it so you are on your own. If you can't find it let me know and I will get you in touch with our commodore.

Tags
electric, hull, multihull, propulsion, seattle