Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 15:53   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
NZ to South Africa in one season?

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has sailed that route in one season......it seems a lot of miles to me and not a lot of cruising?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NZ to South Africa in one season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has sailed that route in one season......it seems a lot of miles to me and not a lot of cruising?
Cheers
You cruise all the way.. just dont stop for more than supplies more than twice..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:28   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: NZ to South Africa in one season?

Which way?

Eastabout? Quite do-able but why?
Old 05-01-2019, 18:49   #4

El Pinguino I hijacked this question from a family that posted the question on Kids4Sail Facebook page. They were not getting any replys and I thought there are plenty of experienced people here who could help.
They are looking at going over the top of Australia and then to South Africa. It sounds like a lot of miles in one season?
Like you say its possible but you would miss so much doing it that quick?
Cheers
Old 05-01-2019, 19:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

its a lot of miles.but quite possible,requires leaving NZ in april,for bundaberg,then over the top end to darwin then departing june for cocos keeling,chagos,madagasgar arriving sept then down to richards bay by november which is the onset of cyclone season in the mozambique channel and indian ocean.
then proceed south to cape town to depart for brazil or carib by marchl
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 21:13   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

I know people in 2018 that didn't leave Darwin until August. It is alot of sailing but all down wind with long legs, your really not at sea that long, the miles slip by.

Rather than do the Mauritius route they could go from Cocos straight to Nosybe and enjoy their time there.

Personally I'm alot slower.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 21:37   #7

Thats what I thought Dale and Madagascar would be easier on the wallet as well I imagine?
Cheers
Old 05-01-2019, 21:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thats what I thought Dale and Madagascar would be easier on the wallet as well I imagine?
Cheers
Madagascar is cheap. Nosybe has good cafes and good supplies. Also arguably it can be an easier sail to there from Cocos than heading to Mauritius, it can blow very hard between cocos and Mauritius /Rodriguez.

You need to watch the weather across the top of Madagascar, it can blow hard here as well but coming from Cocos the angle isn't so bad, once around the corner life gets really good, lake sailing.

The trip from Nosybe to Richards Bay isn't hard, you just have to be patient and pick your windows, honestly we had it easy all the way to Knysna. The only boats I know that got beat up were the ones that didn't show patience or respect. Sometimes you may have to sit for 10-14 days waiting.

There's also a local SA guy that generously does weather routing for all the cruising boats crossing the Indian ocean each year, he had 60+ boats on his books last year, did it all for nothing, he's a real champ. And he's good. Very generous.
Old 06-01-2019, 00:07   #9

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Living in mozambique for the past 18 years it interests me that “most” cruisers do exactly as Dale has mentioned. Nosybe to Richards bay . But they miss out on a lot of good spots that they would really enjoy. I fetched my Leopard 40 in the Seychelles in June 15 and we sailed over to Mayotte in the Comoros which was fantastic and on my to go back to list for sure. We then sailed down the channel to maputo. For the past 3 years I have sailed north to the Bazaruto islands for Christmas which has been fantastic. Technically as has been mentioned its cyclone season from Dec to April however there have only been 3 cyclones touching Mozambique in the past 18 years. The last one unusually south in January 2017 which hit Inhambane.

In the north of Mozambique all the way to Zanzibar it’s truly amazing cruising grounds. I spent some time chatting to Kingsley Holegate the famous South African explorer who told me his amazing stories of spending a year on a dhow sailing the ancient trade routes in this region. He said it was extremely memorable.

I have a Norwegian friend that had until recently a lagoon 45 here and every year she did a 4 month trip up to Seychelles, Mayotte , pemba mozambique and the Quimbra islands, Zanzibar which has a brand new marina and Madagascar.

It’s my plan to spend my first full time cruising next year in this side of Africa before heading to Cape Town to cross the Atlantic.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 00:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
Living in mozambique for the past 18 years it interests me that “most” cruisers do exactly as Dale has mentioned. Nosybe to Richards bay . But they miss out on a lot of good spots that they would really enjoy. I fetched my Leopard 40 in the Seychelles in June 15 and we sailed over to Mayotte in the Comoros which was fantastic and on my to go back to list for sure. We then sailed down the channel to maputo. For the past 3 years I have sailed north to the Bazaruto islands for Christmas which has been fantastic. Technically as has been mentioned its cyclone season from Dec to April however there have only been 3 cyclones touching Mozambique in the past 18 years. The last one unusually south in January 2017 which hit Inhambane.

In the north of Mozambique all the way to Zanzibar it’s truly amazing cruising grounds. I spent some time chatting to Kingsley Holegate the famous South African explorer who told me his amazing stories of spending a year on a dhow sailing the ancient trade routes in this region. He said it was extremely memorable.

I have a Norwegian friend that had until recently a lagoon 45 here and every year she did a 4 month trip up to Seychelles, Mayotte , pemba mozambique and the Quimbra islands, Zanzibar which has a brand new marina and Madagascar.

It’s my plan to spend my first full time cruising next year in this side of Africa before heading to Cape Town to cross the Atlantic.
Hi, I spent 8 mths in the Seychelles which was great and 4 mths around nosy be and Mayotte. If I had my time over I would of headed over to Tanzania and Kenya spending a third year in the region. I've thought about heading back up but I don't want to head up against that current, not that you can't.

Bazaruto was very nice, spent two weeks there.
Old 06-01-2019, 00:18   #11

I think many cruisers fear the Mozambique channel thus want to get it over and done with.
Old 06-01-2019, 00:44   #12

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

2 x trips to [emoji1213] Seychelles. It’s really spectacular but food etc is really pricey hey !
My most serene anchorage to date is Benguerra island just South of Bazaruto island. We used to sleep here and motor sail out to the 2 mile reef to dive every day
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	183288
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 17:51   #13

Boat: Slocum 43

Hi Dale,
myself and my wife are looking at doing this this year (departing Mooloolaba in April - route as per Atoll's comment).
Do you have contact details for the SA guy who does the weather routing? I haven't come across that in my research.
Much appreciated! Cheers.
KarlitosWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 18:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlitosWay View Post
Hi Dale,
myself and my wife are looking at doing this this year (departing Mooloolaba in April - route as per Atoll's comment).
Do you have contact details for the SA guy who does the weather routing? I haven't come across that in my research.
Much appreciated! Cheers.
Hi ,PM sent.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:35   #15

We went through the Panama Canal with a boat called Tin Tin in February 2017 and they made it back to the Caribbean in May 2018 so yes it’s doable

https://whatthefocque.blogspot.com/
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, South Africa