Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 11:52   #1

Boat: Monohull 34 feet
Which places are more expansive then others (south pacific)

Hi guys,

What place is best to do what?
Where is it best to buy as much as the yacht can carry and where better not arrive with empty tanks?
Food, alcohol, fuel, water and so on.
Are there big differences between Samoa Tahiti Fiji and Tonga for example?

We are a jung couple starting our trip on a 34 feed Monohul in 2 month time in Tahiti and will make our way towards Fiji/Tonga and then NZ. Se we are happy for all our Tipps and Tricks.

Cheers,
Cpt. Balu
Cpt Balu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:39   #2

Re: Which places are more expansive then others (south pacific)

Is this the wrong treat ?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which places are more expansive then others (south pacific)

American Samoa has the cheapest fuel in the S Pacific..
Supermarket prices are not bad either though somewhat limited in some things..
Vanuatu is not bad food price wise but like Samoa limited.. did not fuel up there so cannot say.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:45   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

I realize English isn't likely your first language but maybe ask the Mods to rename your thread, or even try again. Expansive vs expensive are quite different...it sounds like you are looking for places in the world that are quite large

As for the the actual answer to your question, sorry I can't help. I was actually hoping to read other's answers...
Old 03-03-2019, 08:40   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

It has been decades since I cruised the South Pacific [SPac], so I don't have any recent first-hand knowledge to share.

However, If I were planning to go again, I would begin with the following resources for planning and research:
There are plenty of other resources as well, but this should get you started and answer your questions.

Have fun! Planning is always part of the adventure [for me anyway...]

Cheers! Bill
Old 03-03-2019, 09:05   #6

Below please find reference information:
The per US gallon volume comparative data for fuels is a bit dated being from June 2018, but the relative value differential is likely the same between the locations, albeit the price rises and lowers depending on primarily global commodity basis. Like the tides prices rise and fall.

American Samoa's prices seem to be favorable for the Pacific islands.

http://http://www.samoanews.com/loca...keep-going-and

"Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — The cost of crude oil is rising globally; so is the average retail price of gasoline and diesel fuel in American Samoa. And motorists are wondering if there is any relief soon, in petroleum prices in the territory.

“It appears that it will get higher before we get a break,” said ASG Office of Petroleum Management (OPM) petroleum officer Sione Kava, who added that “all of it is something we cannot do much about.”

Kava’s comments came this week with the release of the American Samoa Fuel Price Report for May/June, 2018, which shows that the current average retail price for gasoline is $3.55 per gallon while diesel is $3.71 per gallon. (Samoa News visited two gas stations over the weekend where gasoline was priced at $3.57 and $3.59).

The fuel price report also shows that the new maximum allowable price (MAP), or wholesale price, effective June 15, will increase for all petroleum products sold in the territory.

For gasoline, the new MAP is $3.0530 per gallon, an increase of 13-cents. For diesel products, road diesel is at $3.2333 a gallon. Boilers and generators are at $2.9183 per gallon — an increase of 18-cents per gallon.

The report also provided regional comparison for gasoline prices. For example, average in the US is $2.95; Honolulu is at $3.71; Fiji is selling at US$3.94 and Tonga is at US$5.28

The new MAP for other petroleum products shows:

• higher sulfur content diesel fuel for commercial fishing vessel is $2.7699 per gallon while other marine diesel is $2.8049 per gallon - an increase of 18-cents per gallon

• Ultra-low sulfur for road diesel is going for $3.2739 per gallon while diesel for boilers/generators is at $2.9589 per gallon - an increase of 17-cents per gallon.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:37   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Capt Balu,

Plan to sail, not use diesel. That is a trade winds run. Can be lovely downwind sailing.

There will not be plenty of fresh veg and fruit, but there will be some. It may not be to your taste, but people figure out ways to cook stuff that they like.

If you take on fuel, you may be glad to filter it first.

Plan on Jerry jugging drinking water and fuel. You may want to chlorinate the water and filter out the chlorine, so charcoal filters will make it taste okay, but you shall have killed the "Pacific Belly" organisms.

Lovely, friendly people, can always use small fish hooks, clothing, which you can buy from thrift shops. Cigarettes make good gifts, but we never went there, for health reasons.

Ann
Old 03-03-2019, 12:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
• higher sulfur content diesel fuel for commercial fishing vessel is $2.7699 per gallon while other marine diesel is $2.8049 per gallon - an increase of 18-cents per gallon
Are you allowed to fill those in a pleasure craft? In the UK they are about to completely outlaw red diesel.
Old 03-03-2019, 13:00   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

The islands in the South Pacific, mostly because of their remoteness, tend to be expensive places to refuel and provision. French Polynesia, especially the Society Islands, can offer a very good selection for provisioning but is often expensive, particularly when compared to places on the mainland.

We knew people who were on strict budgets but had a fabulous time by eating simply, catching fish when they could, leaving their destinations flexible so they didn’t have deadlines (this minimized the need to run their engine) and they virtually never ate at a restaurant.

In our experience, American Samoa was the cheapest place in all of the South Pacific to provision but we didn’t go there just for that. There were fewer choices in Tonga but there was a better selection in some parts of Fiji. New Zealand, with their developed economy, is a place where you can find almost anything.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:39   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Except for the passage to New Zealand it is a tradewind run, so you won't need much diesel and it certainly isn't worth planning your destinations around it. Provision up in Tahiti at the well stocked stores, as you won't see those in most of the following islands. Then you purchase what's available, usually from Chinese owned small grocery stores and from fruit and vegetable markets. Buy it when you see it, because it might not be there tomorrow or at the next port.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:40   #11

Boat: Herreshoff 36

About food: French Polynesia is only relatively expensive. If you are used to European prices, then it's not so bad. Tonga and Fiji are cheaper but not overly, and because of your expectation, you might be disappointed or simply spend more than other places.

About fuel: not sure, I sailed through these places, if I buy 20l / year it's not really a comprehensive survey.

I alway found a tap for fresh water, the only problem I had was in Suva, Fiji, the yacht club water was contaminated.

Alcohol is expensive everywhere.
Old 10-04-2019, 00:04   #12

Thats great,
I guess we will not use much fuel as we have quite some time to wait for the right wind to show up
Probably it is the best to provision one big time in Tahiti and then go with catching fish and getting veggies on the islands.

Looking forward only 23 days to go
Old 10-04-2019, 01:17   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I traded my bicycle and a small solar panel for 3 months of food in vanuatu. This is the best food you can get anywhere because of the way they grow it, and the bicycle and solar was obtained also in trade from elsewhere.

The most interesting part of sailing is in gusting winds in tight harbors and passes and with strong currents. Most cruisers are using motors and therefore never learn what to do in these situations and lack confidence as well. They may claim many years of experience, but it is not worth much because they only sail when they are far from any obstacles.

I would skip new zealand: deceitful people, high prices and low quality.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 00:33   #14

I have been sailing all my life and most of the time a yacht without motor so I plan on keeping the motor out unless it’s really needed.

Anyhow I am really surprised by you bad words about NZ, Ihave been told that it is wonderful for sailing?!
Old 15-04-2019, 03:17   #15

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I would skip new zealand: deceitful people, high prices and low quality.
Hey, you're the dude who IIRC sails or rows everywhere without an engine, even up canals Hat's off, that's hardcore...

But I take mild offense at this line... no way to blackball an entire country, just like race or religion. I assume you had a chit time there, and prices might be high for sure, but c'mon with the rest I don't know you but I know you're better than that!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific