Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 15:42   #1

colvin pilot house motor sailer

newby here with some questions on a design it is a 42 ft steel colvin pilothouse schooner, it currently is listed in yacht trader down in scapoose oregon , it's owner has it set up to fish commercially which is ok as I am from alaska and getting ready to return there and retire, my questions are of the sailing ability of this design being as it is a motor sailer and looking through the specs this is equipped to be totally off grid which is a plus for me , I am concerned in the pics of some serious dents that look like it was sideswiped and perhaps that is the reason the hull was doubled if memory is right most steel and aluminum are pretty light in their scantlings ? I spent more than a few years around the bering and north pacific as an engineer so I was quite interested when I saw the layout of it and the systems, so anyone out there with any experience on this design ? issues? etc ? I am familliar with some reading on colvins junk design
thanks smitty
bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 16:21   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: colvin pilot house motor sailer

I saw a few Colvin designs in Mx. One was lug rigged. The dents could be from anything...poor welding schedule, fell over in a yard, or as you say, collisions. I've built 2 steel boats. Not the best choice for maintenance in the long run.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 18:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There are a lot if Colvin Gazells about, 42’ schooners. Some junk rigged.

IIRC the scantlings were pretty thin; 10 gage or may e even 1/8”. I’ve seen a 52’ Colvin schooner built of 10 gage. Too light for my taste.

Ive no personal experience but I have never heard anything good about extensive doubling. I have done it on patches at times, not widely.

The Gazells are pretty small for a 42’ boat, quite narrow. There are quite a few of them, mostly home built.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 19:21   #4

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

The Colvin that is for sale is not a Gazelle. The yachtworld listing indicates that the displacement is 40,000 lbs. which is about double the Gazelle.

Likely that the scantlings (plate thickness) are also heavier.

I do not know what is meant by "double hull".

Looks like a very stout boat.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 19:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Panope,

Can you post a link please.
Old 20-09-2020, 19:38   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

You bet.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ooner-3192478/
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 19:53   #7
cruiser

Boat: 33 Sloop

When I was looking at the colvins, I remember that one, it was more out of curiosity, it’s been on the market for some time now.

Seems if you are looking for a cheap fishing boat, maybe..

But for a cruiser or liveaboard, I’d pass.
FastTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 20:02   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
newby here with some questions on a design it is a 42 ft steel colvin pilothouse schooner, it currently is listed in yacht trader down in scapoose oregon , it's owner has it set up to fish commercially which is ok as I am from alaska and getting ready to return there and retire, my questions are of the sailing ability of this design being as it is a motor sailer and looking through the specs this is equipped to be totally off grid which is a plus for me , I am concerned in the pics of some serious dents that look like it was sideswiped and perhaps that is the reason the hull was doubled if memory is right most steel and aluminum are pretty light in their scantlings ? I spent more than a few years around the bering and north pacific as an engineer so I was quite interested when I saw the layout of it and the systems, so anyone out there with any experience on this design ? issues? etc ? I am familliar with some reading on colvins junk design
thanks smitty
Sailing Ability?

Looking at the photos of this boat in Oregon we can't learn much except that it is set up as a commercial fishing boat, quite well equipped for such a task perhaps, but it does not look like it is going to exhibit much sailing ability other than being able to stay on station using it's sails rather than the motor.

If you look at this Gazelle (left below) also 42ft. You can see that the other boat, the one you are looking at, as designed, does not have the same capabilities for sailing as a Gazelle, and after conversion to a fishing boat, with all the weight and top hamper which was added, it would be less able.

This, on the right, is a fishing boat with a mast, not a sailing craft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Gazelle Schooner.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	223853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Fishing boat.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	223854  

Old 20-09-2020, 20:24   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think double platinum on the ad means patching but I could be wrong
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:50   #10

thank you all for the info ,
my concern with the extra plating is that epoxy was used to attatch also any voids would create a corrosion night mare,I knew the one in question was not a gazelle but it is the one design i was familliar in reading about ,when I lived out in dutch harbor there were more than a few one off type steel boats with metal so light you dould see all the locations of the frames kinda made me wonder!as a live aboard it would only be me so plenty of space and having seasonally lived on work boats am well accustomed to compact quarters which i would agree could make it a dock queen so you could stretch your legs .given all the info you all have provided may well explain why it has been on the market so long ,it started at 89,000 and is now down to 49,000 which raises some red flags in itself , and as some of you have stated it is set up as a work boat so would not appeal to the cruising folks also the equipment list is something else as my son was mentioning to me more toys aboard more worry less time sailing and as this is an older set up the electronics are probably pretty rough as well ,but curiosity is killing me I need a good reason for a weekend road trip won't cost anything to look at it
the main attraction at my age is the pilot house ,and of those my favorite is the fisher of which there are several of up in wa for sale thanks again for the info
smitty
bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:30   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the link. I have looked at this add myself more than a couple of times.

Quote:
She has a double steel hull with an epoxy filled center!

As to this quote, lots of words, Much ambiguity, no information. It could mean almost anything. Probably means the broker does not know although I could be wrong. But im pretty sure this is a new, different set of pictures than in the other ads i saw. Maybe a new broker.

Only way to find out is to visit the boat, talk to the broker, try to identify the builder/original owner. Even that is no guarantee of good info., but its your best hope.

Double hull MIGHT mean the tanks are integral to the keel so that if you puncture the hull you loose water or fuel but don't sink. Epoxy MIGHT mean the area between the top of the ballast and bottom of tank was filled with epoxy.

OR it could mean something none of us could imagine. But I do NOT think it means the hull has been doubled, plated over with a second layer of steel.

I would love to hear your impressions after seeing her.

IIRC she has been on the market for a few years. Maybe made a trip to Hawaii in the process???? Memory is kinda shaggy these days.
Old 21-09-2020, 04:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to add:

This is a new add with many additional photos.

Our big boat is 40,000lb, steel, 44’ LOD, 13-1/2’ beam same as this boat.

We are 6-1/2’ draft with a 72 hp motor. A deep keel.

This boat has a 140 hp motor and 7’ draft with essentially no keel. ?????

Something wrong there.

Looking at the photos I'm guessing she is more like 5’ draft. The stands are more like power boat stands than sailboat stands.

Someone above said she is a power boat with sails, I think that is correct. Think if the sails as stabilizers.

BUT.....only way to tell is to go see.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:47   #13

As others have mentioned, the boat was not built out for sailing.

Sooo it probably will not be the best at it.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 11:12   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
As others have mentioned, the boat was not built out for sailing.

Sooo it probably will not be the best at it.
And I my have missed any info in the diesel?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 11:48   #15

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
The Colvin that is for sale is not a Gazelle. The yachtworld listing indicates that the displacement is 40,000 lbs. which is about double the Gazelle.

Likely that the scantlings (plate thickness) are also heavier.

I do not know what is meant by "double hull".

Looks like a very stout boat.

Steve

Scorpius's hull is a Colvin Gazelle - although from there up she's entirely custom. She tips the scales (fully loaded for cruising and with 6000 pounds of added ballast at 35,000 pounds - so 40,000 pounds is not out of the question.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail