Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35   #1

Caribbean Charter in the Summer?

My husband and I have been sailing in Lake Michigan for 12 years, first on a 25 Catalina and now on a 35.5 Hunter. We were planning to do our first Charter in the BVIs next Spring. But with this year's spring break trip being cancelled and me being very anxious to go somewhere when we can go out and about, I'm considering moving our charter trip up to July or August, if Covid 19 conditions permit it But I really don't want to be impacted by a hurricane. If we book last minute, like 2 - 4 days out from departure, is that enough time to be reasonably confident in the weather, or should I try to exercise patience and wait till Spring as originally planned? Thank you for any input. BTW, I love the heat, so high temps isn't a concern.
gleasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:41   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Caribbean Charter in the Summer?

I've chartered many times in June and July. It's not just hurricanes, tropical waves come through at that time of year. We've had winds in the 30's with higher gusts. We are okay with sailing in those conditions, but only you can answer that for you and your guests. On the sail from Virgin Gorda to Anegada, we had a few breaking waves on the beam. Made for a wet cockpit. If you go this time of year, make sure you know how to reef the boat.

On the flip side, after a tropical wave, we have had dead calm for a day. Hot and humid. We always bring our own portable fans for those nights.

Would I go in the summer again....you bet. Just know what you are signing up for.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:24   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you sign up for a charter, would suggest purchasing trip insurance for many reasons including hurricanes, covid, etc.. Like all insurance, hope you don't need it, but nice to have when needed.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We generally do ours in May and June. It's nice because the insanely crowded BVIs are less crowded. Also note that many places close during August - in "regular" years.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:48   #5

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

We have been chartering in the summer in the BVI since 1978.Earliest has been mid-June.
Latest has been early August.
Recent years we have been going late July into early August.
We have been after a hurricane - I think that was Marilyn. Calm wind first few days so we were able to dive spots that are usually rough.
With hurricane Maria, we were there before it came through.
Three times hurricanes skirted the islands. One of those times we came in to the dock. The other two times we doubled up our anchors, one of those times in the Bight, the other in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda.
I remember the last one best. Very strong winds with rain coming sideways and no visibility but no waves, though the boat rocked and rolled. Kinda fun actually. We were on a monohull and it came in after we had left the North Sound and had reached the dogs. Motor sailed back. Our daughter and her boyfriend were below in their cabin and ‘missed’ it by sleeping through it.
We have not missed a year going in the summer since 1978 and have gone three times in January to March. We go for a minimum of two weeks.
We didn’t like the winter much. A bit cool on the water but nicer on land. Compared to summer, shorter days, poorer water visibility and very crowded. Winter, sometimes winter winds blew for days on end. In the winter it was too windy for us to sail, sometimes for days on end. Admittedly others sailed, but we are older and strong winds over 18-20 knots are too scary for us. I am 72 and my wife is 68.
On the catamarans we have been using the last few years we motorsail more than we purely sail in the summer.
In the winter some of our favorite places are too rough. That includesBrewers Bay, Savannah Bay, the Baths, Green and Sandy Cay, White Bay and evening Cane Garden Bay. At Green Cay and Cane Garden Bay in the winter there were surfers!
So now, at our age, I don’t think we will go back in the winter.
Places do close in late summer. The last few years we have missed some of our favorites. For example Quito Rhymer at Cane Garden Bay was taking a break in late July. Foxy always seems to be around though.
For years we chartered with Moorings and Sunsail. Later Footloose and CYC on Saint Thomas. Now either BVI Yacht Charters or the Catamaran Company. With BVI Yacht Charters the charter has to end before the end if July. They close in August.
Check out the dates when hurricanes do hit the islands. We wouldn’t charter from the last 2 weeks of August through October.
We wouldn’t charter in the Bahamas afterJuly 1.
Keep in mind that we are from Southern California. It’s hotter in Woodland Hills in July than it is in the BVI.
Nowadays boats have air conditioning. We rarely use it unless it rains and we are stuck down below. I like to sleep in deck when I can but I get too cold in the winter. But some of the folks with us do like to sleep below and do like to run their AC. I like the sounds of the ocean at night By the way I love the Lagoon 450f and like to sleep up on the flybridge. Lots of places to sleep outside all over the boat.
To put it in perspective, we are in Sedona, AZ now where we have a second home and it hit 90 yesterday so we ran the AC in the evening before going to bed. Going golfing this morning and it will be 82 this afternoon. In Sedona it’s too hot for us from June through September.
BVI with a breeze off 80 degree water is fine.
We prefer to sail at home out of Ventura in the winter when it’s nice.
Suggest you check actual records of typical daily mean temperatures throughout the year in the BVI. Also check wind speeds through the year. The so called Christmas winds in the winter are too much for us.
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:56   #6

Boat: Mirage 33

I have only chartered in the eastern Caribbean during summer. Once in July, and a bunch of times in August. It's a cheap time to go because you are dancing with hurricanes. But it's relatively uncrowded and I have no qualms about doing it again. Odds of a hurricane in the summer are high, odds of one in the specific place you are chartering during the specific week you are there is very very low.

The big companies usually have policies that cover named storms.
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charter, rib