Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 18:53   #1

Boat: Morgan 383
Planning for Caribbean

I'm heading to the Caribbean in late November 2019 to both get Caribbean sailing experience and to find a boat to buy. I'm planning on spending 6 months cruising the Caribbean to start and am going to make it a full time thing within the next two years. I'd like to get more experience by crewing as I look for a boat. My 15 years of sailing experience is limited to cruising and racing the US Pacific Northwest, San Juan Islands, Columbia River, Puget Sound.

My question is, where in your experienced opinions should I initially fly into, in the Caribbean, to both find a good number of well found cruising sailboats for sale as well as to find boats looking for crew? I've been looking online for the last few years but I've come to the conclusion that I need to be on the docks somewhere before I start making plans to crew (want to meet people/captains personally) and to be able to look at boats.

I appreciate your time and hope for input directly related to my question.
mtniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Planning for Caribbean

Caribbean is a big place. I think rather than showing up in some random location that posting on the crew wanted thread here and on similar sites is likely to net better results then u can travel to a venue where you know you have a ride.

Otherwise go to common jump off points: Grenada, Trinidad, ABCs, Panama, Cartagena, Rio Dulce... The E coast of the USA is also a common jump off point for boats headed S after hurricane season as are some Euro venues.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Planning for Caribbean

St Maarten.. lots of boats end up stopping there for a variety of reasons.
Post on The Mail Box notice board and hang out at the Soggy Dollar.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25   #4

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
St Maarten.. lots of boats end up stopping there for a variety of reasons.
Post on The Mail Box notice board and hang out at the Soggy Dollar.
+1 for St Maarten, always boats for sale there.
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:36   #5

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtniner View Post
{snip} I'd like to get more experience by crewing as I look for a boat. My 15 years of sailing experience is limited to cruising and racing the US Pacific Northwest, San Juan Islands, Columbia River, Puget Sound.
I very much doubt that you'll find any crewing opportunities because most of the cruisers in the Crabby-ian are retired couples that aren't in any rush to go anywhere and they're most probably competent enough to manage on their own without having to put up with the intrusion of having a complete stranger on board. One of the problems with taking on crew is that the boat owner is liable for the crew's flights back home if things don't work out as planned. Who wants to risk that?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:48   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Perhaps sign on as crew for one of the rallies from the East coast. That will give you 10 days at sea and good credentials.
TheOffice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtniner View Post
I'm heading to the Caribbean in late November 2019 to both get Caribbean sailing experience and to find a boat to buy. I'm planning on spending 6 months cruising the Caribbean to start and am going to make it a full time thing within the next two years. I'd like to get more experience by crewing as I look for a boat. My 15 years of sailing experience is limited to cruising and racing the US Pacific Northwest, San Juan Islands, Columbia River, Puget Sound.

My question is, where in your experienced opinions should I initially fly into, in the Caribbean, to both find a good number of well found cruising sailboats for sale as well as to find boats looking for crew? I've been looking online for the last few years but I've come to the conclusion that I need to be on the docks somewhere before I start making plans to crew (want to meet people/captains personally) and to be able to look at boats.

I appreciate your time and hope for input directly related to my question.

Fly into the Azores and crew on the ARC to arrive in the Caribbean by boat?
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

To the best of my knowledge the Caribe ARC's 1 and 2 leave from the Canary Islands and Not the Azores.
The earlier one via Cape Verde and the second straight across.
The only time an ARC touches the Azores is on the W to E return to Europe.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 09-07-2019, 03:20   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, look at Pilot Charts and sailing routes. If you want to hitch a ride to the Carib the Canaries/Cape Verde, or maybe Med, is where you wanna be.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:23   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mtniner.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To the best of my knowledge the Caribe ARC's 1 and 2 leave from the Canary Islands and Not the Azores.
The earlier one via Cape Verde and the second straight across.
The only time an ARC touches the Azores is on the W to E return to Europe.
Whoops, got them backwards. Either way, the sentiment still stands; OP could consider flying E (assuming he/she is in North America) to sail W to the Caribbean
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:36   #12

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Planning for Caribbean

I concur with previous posts. Best crewing opportunities for the Caribbean are probably on the ARC boats, flying in to Gran Canaria and sailing over the pond.

If you don’t want to do the ocean passage and don’t like the crew-finder et. al. websites, maybe try to get in touch with Mike at Shrimpy’s Laundry on the French side in St. Martin. He runs a daily radio net and has a good handle on who needs what. He sorted me out with crew to sail to Colombia a few years ago. Not sure about contact details for him though.

For places to buy boats, St. Martin is a good choice. Also Trinidad. You’d most likely be looking around yards, not marinas.

I really do think you should be able to find these opportunities online though, rather than just turning up somewhere and mooching. If you do that you’ll eventually get there, but you might have to do a lot of mooching first.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Shrimpys Laundry and Yacht Support

Rue Round Hill, Marigot, St Martin

https://g.co/kgs/PFKcUK

Old 21-07-2019, 10:20   #14

Boat: Morgan 383

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and time in helping me decide where to start looking! I appreciate it all and am researching the many options for starting points that you all suggested.
mtniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 10:37   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Not sure about bringing gender into the question but, if you are female, hang out in the Rio Dulce and do the FB thing. From the looks of it, stuff happens.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib